Help Pick Our Next Campaign

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

paladintodd
Seasoned

#21 Postby paladintodd » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:05 pm

Update after a year and a half:

War of the Dead: Really enjoyed it and will be coming back to it.

Necessary Evil: Liked it, though I ended up really streamlining things and following the main plot points. Just don't have much interest in what seem to be meaningless side quests.

Daring Tales of Adventure: Has been interspersed with all of the above. It's missing an epic story, but it's a lot of fast, fun, and furious.

----------------
Trying to decide what to do next.

50 Fathoms: Got the book, really underwhelmed, won't be doing it. The main story seems to be nothing more than a multiple McGuffin hunt. Side quests are bare-bones "here's a sunken ship with treasure, here's a monster guarding it, FIGHT!".

Paizo AP: Might try doing this. Little hesitant not knowing how much work I could be creating for myself.

Snate56
Legendary

#22 Postby Snate56 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:35 pm

Well, there's a batload of Deadlands out there...

I'm looking at Noir.

SteveN
"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reasons."
>Mark Twain<

paladintodd
Seasoned

Re: Help Pick Our Next Campaign

#23 Postby paladintodd » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:30 am

Update after nearly two years:

War of the Dead: Continues to go well. Finished up chapter 2.

Looking for something to intersperse with that to give us a change of pace. I really, really wish the SW Publishers would venture beyond the "setting & ppc" model, those just don't do it for me. Decided we'll have to venture outside of strictly SW and adapt, hoping that isn't a bunch of work for me. We're trying Paizo's Emerald Spire starting tonight.

Kirigi
Novice

#24 Postby Kirigi » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:54 am

Wow, paladin.

Before you mentioned, I actually never heard of that mega dungeon. Module sounds amazing.

This summer, after I have a pause from college and just dedicate myself to my job, I'm thinking of running Crypt of the Everflame for my younger cousins, using Savage Worlds.

Please, do let us know how it goes tonight.

Good luck and have fun :D ,

Kirigi

paladintodd
Seasoned

#25 Postby paladintodd » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:53 am

Three year update:

War of the Dead: After nearly three years of playing on & off, the final battle in Helltown is about to occur. It's been a great campaign, lots of fun. Really well done.

Daring Tales: Played about 8 of these so far as drop-in games when players can't make it. Fast & fun, but missing the campaign and character development.

Necessary Evil: Good as noted earlier.

Paizo AP: We tried one (Skull & Shackles). It went OK, but was lacking the "feel". Don't know if the pirate setting threw things off or if Savage Worlds doesn't capture the D&D feel. Not sure we'll try one again.

So we're looking for "the next thing". Same criteria as before: More of a campaign than one shots and a reasonable amount of detail so the GM isn't doing too much work (plot points just don't cut it).

Considering adapting Masks or Nylarhotep, attempting a different Paizo AP (or shorter series of adventures), Evernight. Open to other ideas.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#26 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:58 am

Zadmar did a savage conversion of the War of the Burning Sky AP. Might be worth looking at.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

galu
Seasoned

#27 Postby galu » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:17 pm

paladintodd wrote:Three year update:

War of the Dead: After nearly three years of playing on & off, the final battle in Helltown is about to occur. It's been a great campaign, lots of fun. Really well done.

Good job! :drinking:

Considering adapting Masks or Nylarhotep

That campaign is a classic. Really, one of the best examples of brilliant adventures, a rare gem which the game industry can produce in like... once in ten years.
But understanding and running it is ton of work. Tried it twice, failed twice.

Evernight. Open to other ideas.

If the group doesn't know the trick, it can be a big win of a big lose. In the group I GM there are a few players who quit campaigns because of changes of that scale. Otherwise solid stuff, just be sure to not let the guys suffer through the "plot protected" slavery scenario. (also, very often they try to do something - as should be expected - and get themselves killed)

Same criteria as before: More of a campaign than one shots and a reasonable amount of detail so the GM isn't doing too much work (plot points just don't cut it).

some old classics:

WFRPG, The Enemy Within Campaign Arc: Mistaken Identity, Shadows over Bögenhafen, Death on the Reik...
This is very old style layout and editing (= hard to follow at places), but one of the best campaigns I ever played or GMd. The best thing is that the "ending" will really depend on group choices. I played this once and GMd it twice, but all three outcomes were different.
You have to like the warhammer mood to like it. If you are not laughing, but rahter offended because your wizard's head turns into a flies head (for example) this is not for you.

The Zalozhny Quartet
For a campaign this is relatively short (about 8-10 sessions) but it is veeeery good! (it is so short because it is meant to showcase what "1 element of the conpiracy pyramid" could be). Elevator pitch: professional wet workers, assassins and spies gone rogue find traces of a supernatural conspiracy during a routine job. They cannot really do anything, but to fight, because "they" know that the group knows about them. Think "the crew from the movie Ronin goes vampire hunting". The actual quartet is brilliant as the scenarios are very different. Not just high octane thriller, but there is the "turning" of an agent right ahead of KGB remnants and vampires, without firing a shot.

The Great Pendragon campaign
This is a bit plot-pointy in a way, that the GM actually has some work to do, but it is not hard. Actually, this is one of the easiest big modules to GM.
(1. check game year. 2. if there is a "story point" go to that page and read. 3. if there is not story point for this year, check the random - half page - adventures for the given period and run one. Easy!)
Athmospheric, cool, with the PCs generally influencing big changes.
The "winter phase" (decide how your manor is going, if the children survive, etc.) is boring as hell though, and - with 3-4 players - it will take 30-60 minutes from your game time. I found it better to - heresy - edit this part out.
Also, this campaign is long (100+ sessions), and especially the first part (the Uther period and the interregnum period) can make some players jaded: mass battles every session, mostly against the same - saxon - enemies, where they will lose more often then not. Strangely this adds up to the jaded cynical war veteran cliché quite well.

Darkstryders
Original (d6) Star Wars. PCs are naval officers, who have to chase an imperial ship into the unknown on the best ship available on such short notice: an imperial science vessel with unknown modifications. The enemy, the surroundings, and the ship's surprises are really old style Star Wars if you are into it! By old style I mean that it doesn't involve the major chess game of Sith and Jedi, the focus is on rebels, imperials and scoundrels.
The real shortcomings are a few heavy handing forced events, but if you really want a good story, this is one for sure.

My final nomination is not a campaign in a strict sense, rather modules which build on each other. Necromancer games produced this series: The Wizard's amulet, THe Crucible of Freya, The Tomb of Abysthor. The first is an entry adventure for new players (quite bland, but managable), The Crucible is a follow up for that which builds up to the Tomb. It is a 60 page dungeon, with different factions, lots of interaction. I think the best module written for DnD 3. (generally was "THE" module for me about 10 years ago).
If you want, you can also try the Vault of LArin KArr. This is a sandbox environment in about 80 pages (IIRC) with 5-6 built in conflicts, 3 of them quite major. Sure, being sandbox you are not guaranteed a final showdown, but that module is golden.

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”