Running Wild Hunt / SWD Advice?

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Arcangel_Zero7
Novice

Running Wild Hunt / SWD Advice?

#1 Postby Arcangel_Zero7 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:21 pm

Hey everybody! :)

Unfortunately, I've had quite a hiatus from Savage Worlds. However, all of a sudden I find myself getting ready to GM for some folks I've played with before, along with some people who've NEVER played an RPG ever. I chose Wild Hunt because the timetable I was given was ridiculously short, and it seems very "pick up and play". But I had a basic question or two for some wise Savages out there! (Sorry, I searched the interwebs far and wide, these forums included, and lo, did not encounter an answer.)

1. The most obvious thing about the Wild Hunt is it still uses "guts". If I was to remove it entirely (without redistributing the points), and use spirit instead as per SWD, do you think it would break anything? Conversely, if I let them put those points into other skills, would it make them too crazy powerful? I would love to run it with the modern ruleset, simply because I already have the GM screen and references ready to go. (And it'll come back to memory much more easily!)

2. Am I supposed to read that intro? I can't really see how they'd come across the information otherwise. Partially I feel it'd spoil the plot a little bit, though. What are your thoughts? I'm curious what the author's intent was as to how much information the players should have beforehand. Whether it should be a spooky intro, or get pieced to them in clues, or perhaps dumped on them by a character they meet (namely that priest).

Lastly, any tips, advice, or cautionary tales about running this adventure would be greatly appreciated. Would love to hear your experience with it. :)

Sorry if this seems like a really simplistic question, I just want to avoid something really wonky happening and spoiling the experience for the new kids. :P
(Such as, "Oh, wait, you weren't supposed to know that yet...." or "Wow, everybody seems way too strong, am I doing this right?" or "I'm sorry you guys got wiped...that wasn't supposed to be THAT hard.)

Thanks so much in advance for any insight! :)

amerigoV
Heroic

Re: Running Wild Hunt / SWD Advice?

#2 Postby amerigoV » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:44 pm

Arcangel_Zero7 wrote:Lastly, any tips, advice, or cautionary tales about running this adventure would be greatly appreciated. Would love to hear your experience with it. :)

Thanks so much in advance for any insight! :)

Welcome back in the fold. I'll throw out two things that I felt worked really well.

1) In their early exploration, they came upon a car. I am not sure if its in the adventure with basically no gas, but I allowed them to have it with a small amount of gas. It allowed me to have a couple of classic moments. One is the "suddenly you see someone in the road!". If they roll poorly, they run over the zombie - thinking they just ran over a person. In one version I ran the driver crit/failed twice! Classic run over the guy, crash, then the body comes to life and tries to eat the PCs!

2) In the church seen when they first encounter the Hunter, make it really clear that the PCs are supposed to run. Make sure its overwhelming numbers - do not use a battle map - the players will think they can fight. I ran it twice - when I failed on this description it resulted in a TPK.
Savage Buckeye!

Ilina_Young
Veteran

#3 Postby Ilina_Young » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:46 pm

Guts is normally removed for most settings. but it is a setting rule for horror settings like Deadlands or Realms of Cthulu where characters are more "human" and generally not likely to have many combat skills while being confronted with alien horrors they know not of how to counter. the wild hunt itself, is a mythological horror story with a lot of variations that scared people for centuries. in a setting like Rippers, i wouldn't require it, but in say Realms of Cthulu. i would. but redistributing the skills won't make the characters too much more powerful. the only restriction i would place, is that a character who is defined as a noncombatant can't use those points to boost their combat skills without good reason.

Arcangel_Zero7
Novice

#4 Postby Arcangel_Zero7 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:48 pm

Thanks for the heads up AmerigoV! IIRC, the setting says something about all the cars having their batteries removed by the residents, but I suppose that'd be even more bizzare for a vehicle just parked somewhere. Your little modification there is EXCELLENT! Great scare moment, especially if they hadn't encountered the zombies yet. I might end up using it. :D

amerigoV wrote:2) In the church seen when they first encounter the Hunter, make it really clear that the PCs are supposed to run. Make sure its overwhelming numbers - do not use a battle map - the players will think they can fight. I ran it twice - when I failed on this description it resulted in a TPK.

THANK YOU. THIS. RIGHT HERE. I think this tip just saved the entire experience. I'm really prone to scribbling out maps and placing pawns just to show more context, which might A.) Tip them off that they'll get ambushed, and B.) Give them the illusion they could possibly win, like you said. I'll try to run this adventure mostly theatre-of-the-mind until they encounter specific combat points. :)

By the way, one last question comes to mind, and that's about the time. It says they can possibly win if they survive until dawn (without solving the mystery). Sometimes the setting is clear that "[this or that] takes 30 minutes to attempt.", but otherwise it can be kinda vague. Should I just try and use the SWD overland travel rules? Count down about a half hour each "decision point"? Pass the time purely out of narrative necessity? This is one of the aspects of running RPGs that has always gotten me.

@Ilina_Young,

You make a VERY good point, thank you. This way somebody won't say, pick the kid, and boost his/her fighting to monk status. XD I suppose I could just explain how "guts" works, and that it's just in this setting, and that's what we'll be using, since it's already written in. :)

Ilina_Young
Veteran

#5 Postby Ilina_Young » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:26 pm

i would allow the redistribution of the Guts skill.

but i would add the stipulation that the new skills bought with the refunded points make sense for the character in question and that player has to work with you to explain any oddball skills the character has and better take the appropriate companion skills. a kid whose fighting skill comes from playing hockey better also have some ice skating skill.

Arcangel_Zero7
Novice

#6 Postby Arcangel_Zero7 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:57 pm

Ilina_Young wrote:i would allow the redistribution of the Guts skill.

but i would add the stipulation that the new skills bought with the refunded points make sense for the character in question and that player has to work with you to explain any oddball skills the character has and better take the appropriate companion skills. a kid whose fighting skill comes from playing hockey better also have some ice skating skill.

Alright, I'll do that then. It would only take a few minutes and possibly increase the chances everyone won't get wiped. (This is a one-shot, after all, so long-term balance isn't a concern. :P)

Other than just combat skills, allowing them redistribute a point or two into character-fitting survival skills like notice or lockpick would probably go a long way! Thanks a million for the advice. :)

Ilina_Young
Veteran

#7 Postby Ilina_Young » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:21 pm

Arcangel_Zero7 wrote:
Ilina_Young wrote:i would allow the redistribution of the Guts skill.

Alright, I'll do that then. It would only take a few minutes and possibly increase the chances everyone won't get wiped. (This is a one-shot, after all, so long-term balance isn't a concern. :P)

Other than just combat skills, allowing them redistribute a point or two into character-fitting survival skills like notice or lockpick would probably go a long way! Thanks a million for the advice. :)

there are a lot of skills that could potentially be useful if the scenario comes up. if something is so simple that there should be no chance of failure or so hard there should be no way to succeed, don't force a roll, narrate the results.

Mendicant
Novice

#8 Postby Mendicant » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:16 pm

I've run it twice so far, and both times the group tried to bunker down in the convenience store, until finally zombies broke through. Once they finished the zombies off, they then tried to look around.

One thing I would consider if I ran it again would be to introduce the Quick Combat rules as well. Every 30 minutes, another group of zombies finds them, and if they're taking their time, that's a LOT of combats to do. Even if the combats are fairly fast relative to other systems, new players will slow things down a bit. Especially do this if you hope to finish this in one session, as the multiple combats slow things down too much to finish it in just one night otherwise! At least in my experience, it would probably be fine to play out the first one or two encounters, the church encounter, and the final one.

Also, decide ahead of time what the ammo in the store actually means. From what I recall, it's ambiguous just how much ammo there is, so figure out if you want this to be an "every shot counts" or "SPRAY AND PRAY, BABY!" event.

amerigoV
Heroic

#9 Postby amerigoV » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:20 pm

Arcangel_Zero7 wrote:Thanks for the heads up AmerigoV!

You are quite welcome! Horror is much better in the players mind - takes the tactics right out of it.

Arcangel_Zero7 wrote:By the way, one last question comes to mind, and that's about the time. It says they can possibly win if they survive until dawn (without solving the mystery). Sometimes the setting is clear that "[this or that] takes 30 minutes to attempt.", but otherwise it can be kinda vague. Should I just try and use the SWD overland travel rules? Count down about a half hour each "decision point"? Pass the time purely out of narrative necessity? This is one of the aspects of running RPGs that has always gotten me.

I did not worry about that (timing) - time happens at the Speed of Plot. Otherwise, the ending as written has the hard part of finding the grave. Once you find the grave then Marla "wins" while trying to extend the fight for the PC with the Mooks - kinda "meh" IMO. Your outcomes are (a) everyone dies because even with the Coop roll you cannot overcome the -6 (b) you just miss a bunch of rolls at -6 and suddenly "win" or (c) someone with a d4 notice Aces 5 times and they win on round 1 :).

Since you have the Deluxe, look over both Dramatic Tasks and Social Conflicts. They were not in place for this test drive (well, even if it were a SWD Test Drive it probably would not be in there to keep things simple). My non-TPK run through I had it be a Dramatic Task for the group to get Marla to rise up out of the grave. This works best with the psionic PC, but really could be anyone that "connects" with Marla - hopefully that is your best empathetic roleplayer.

Make finding the grave and talking with Marla be the DT (and lower the Notice a bit since the DT replaces that Notice roll). Running as a dramatic task (be sure to focus on role play) while the rest of the group fights off the Hunt works much better IMO. There is a smooth progression and building of tension. You can have the Master focus on the other PCs until he "notices" what the PC(s) talking to Marla are doing (ie, as the successes build up).
Savage Buckeye!

Arcangel_Zero7
Novice

#10 Postby Arcangel_Zero7 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:53 am

Well, I've run half the adventure so far, which was a little slow (to allow explaining for the new player and refreshing on the rules and such).

Mendicant wrote:I've run it twice so far, and both times the group tried to bunker down in the convenience store, until finally zombies broke through. Once they finished the zombies off, they then tried to look around.

This happened to me! Hehe when you think about it as a player, makes a lot more sense than the author's prediction that everyone would just cram into the bus while ghastly howls got closer and closer. I was a little lenient as, when they heard the howls, the psionic bolted the door lock, and they were quick to 1.) check the restroom for the missing bus driver, and 2.) Quickly provide themselves with guns from the cabinet. This allowed them to blast the two hounds with ease from the windows, without taking a single attack. BUT THEN THE ZOMBIES ARRIVE MUAHAHAHA. (That's when we had to wrap up for the night.) It'll probably go the way yours did. :)

Also, decide ahead of time what the ammo in the store actually means. From what I recall, it's ambiguous just how much ammo there is, so figure out if you want this to be an "every shot counts" or "SPRAY AND PRAY, BABY!" event.

Well, the description says: "There are three hunting rifles, two double-barreled shotguns, and 5 boxes of 25 rounds for each." ...For the most part, everyone's got roughly 50 rounds now. This should last them the entire game. No going back now! Haha, it's a newbie game as well, so I don't mind if they're a little bold, I guess. :)

My players are the Psionic (male), the Gambler (female), and the R.H, the paranormal researcher (male), which the newbie plays. Hehe she made him very suspicious of the bus-driver from the get-go, which was pretty dang entertaining!

I'm also playing the female War Vet, to round out the cast. (With the players' permission, of course. ;) )

Redistributing their guts skills seems to have given them a good advantage, but hasn't shown to be too insanely powerful as of yet.

I will definitely read up on Quick Combat, as yes, they'd probably quickly get frustrated after the 10th nearly-identical combat encounter!

AmerigoV wrote:I did not worry about that (timing) - time happens at the Speed of Plot.

That's a good plan. Pretty much how I'll handle it. :) I'm not sure how to space out the "wandering" encounters though. I guess it'll take them roughly 30 minutes to reach the farmhouses, roughly 30 minutes to an hour from there to reach the church, something like that...

Your Dramatic Task idea seems AWESOME, and I think it'll definitely make the session a LOT more memorable! Not sure if my Psionic or Para-Investigator will be the one most empathetic to Marla. We'll have to see! I love this idea!

Hopefully not off-topic but, I use a large Chessex battle grid and wet-erase markers. I seem to have trouble knowing where to "spawn" enemies out in the open in relation to players. Usually they're so far away they get blasted too soon, but it also wouldn't make sense to just plop them right next to the PCs for "challenge"s' sake. Any guidance on that?

I hope this thread helps others who are thinking of running the same adventure! Especially these days, with the modern rules. :) Thanks SO MUCH for all the help and advice, everybody! This is truly an awesome community.

Deskepticon
Veteran

#11 Postby Deskepticon » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:02 am

Arcangel_Zero7 wrote:Hopefully not off-topic but, I use a large Chessex battle grid and wet-erase markers. I seem to have trouble knowing where to "spawn" enemies out in the open in relation to players. Usually they're so far away they get blasted too soon, but it also wouldn't make sense to just plop them right next to the PCs for "challenge"s' sake. Any guidance on that?

For horror settings it's always better to build a scene up narratively, playing Theater of the Mind. Forcing the players to visualize where enemies are builds the suspense, as opposed to just looking down and counting squares.

Try throwing in some layered Notice rolls. A success might mean the party sees the almost obvious zombies shuffling through the lamplight, while it takes a raise to see the ones standing motionless in the shadows. Engaging the "obvious" threat (especially with firearms) causes the "hidden" one to spring a surprise.

Only after both groups become known (either with a raise on Notice or after the surprise round) can you bring the battle mat out and let the players work on tactics.

amerigoV
Heroic

#12 Postby amerigoV » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:35 am

amerigoV wrote:
Arcangel_Zero7 wrote:1) In their early exploration, they came upon a car. I am not sure if its in the adventure with basically no gas, but I allowed them to have it with a small amount of gas. It allowed me to have a couple of classic moments. One is the "suddenly you see someone in the road!". If they roll poorly, they run over the zombie - thinking they just ran over a person. In one version I ran the driver crit/failed twice! Classic run over the guy, crash, then the body comes to life and tries to eat the PCs!

Oh! I forgot something with the car that works really well (its a classic horror trope). Of course, the natural thing is to just drive away. Let them! Have them speed past the convenience store with the bus outside, the lonely light slowly fading away in the rear view mirror. Physically, sit back - give the players the vibe that they somehow won (of course they will be suspicious since its early in the session). Then have them notice a light up ahead. As they get closer they see a store with a bus parked outside...

The purpose of that trope is powerful one. Its not just that things are "wrong", its that they wrong and are not going to get better. You cannot run - you will have to figure out want is going on and face it.

On the Hunkering Down Syndrome. My two runs that did not happen (well, I guess it did at the church). It is called The Wild Hunt. The zombies are not the hunters - they are just like hunting dogs. Its their job to flush the prey for the Master. So if they hunker down in the store, do not surround the place. The PCs will just fight because they have no other choice. Make sure PCs can see avenues of escape. Give breaks between waves. Emphasize ammo running low, defenses weakening. If nothing else, take the player of the military PC aside and give them a "military assessment" - its not going to be defensible for long. If a PC happens to die, give the player another PC (or have them make one) - hey, they are an unlucky sod in a pickup truck that happens to drive into the at the wrong time (fixes both the replacement issue and gives the group a temporary escape).

Also, the owner of the store has been through this before - they want them to run! The sooner its over the better!

Dang, now I need to run it again... I might just do that with my home group - they are the ones that got eaten at the church :)
Savage Buckeye!

Arcangel_Zero7
Novice

#13 Postby Arcangel_Zero7 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:46 pm

That's absolutely genius. We didn't finish the first time, and I'll have some additional players this time, so we're just going to start over. I'll include a car (with just a liiiittle gas) this time just to create this moment. It'll be awesome. >=)

Just wanna thank everybody for the helpful tips and the insight! I'm gonna read over all of it again before I run it tonight. Thanks again! :D

amerigoV
Heroic

#14 Postby amerigoV » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:50 pm

Arcangel_Zero7 wrote:That's absolutely genius. We didn't finish the first time, and I'll have some additional players this time, so we're just going to start over. I'll include a car (with just a liiiittle gas) this time just to create this moment. It'll be awesome. >=)

Just wanna thank everybody for the helpful tips and the insight! I'm gonna read over all of it again before I run it tonight. Thanks again! :D

Be sure to post how it goes!
Savage Buckeye!

Arcangel_Zero7
Novice

#15 Postby Arcangel_Zero7 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:54 pm

Woah, has it been so long?? Sorry I hope this isn't a necro by now! (Although wouldn't that be fitting? Ha hah..?)
I've fallen out, and subsequently back into the tabletop scene again recently. Real life and all. :P

Despite the event not being totally fresh in my mind anymore, the game went really well and was enjoyed by all. :)

After some initial exploration of the gas station and surrounding grounds, the party was REALLY not liking how the bus driver ditched them. This was right about when they were attacked by the hounds, which they used decent tactics to subdue. All the characters (even the kid lol) grabbed weapons and ammo from the gun cabinet. . .except the med student. I used this teachable moment to reward the totally-new player for roleplaying despite losing an obvious mechanical advantage. Good on her. :)

Two of the more combat-savvy characters held the front against the zombies, while the kid checked out back to find no threats and a possibly-working ride. I made sure to illustrate that the front of the convenience store had large, flimsy glass windows, one of which was shattered by a leaping hell-hound. There'd be no barricading this place! So everyone made their way out the back door and piled into the car. It had just enough gas to get them a few miles.

Escape?

They decided to high-tail it out of town, and this scene was oh-so-satisfying as you said it would be, as the gas station vanished into the darkness, and a faint light appeared up ahead...where they recognized a familiar lamp post, a busted up store, an abandoned bus. No zombies though, so they moved quick to try to siphon gas from the bus...too bad some nefarious jerk cut the fuel line!

Farm House

The car dies out just as they reach a farmhouse. More than an empty tank, clearly some mechanical failure has rendered it irreparable. Approaching the house, our heroes are scared off by the armed and cranky locals, despite the med student's best attempt at kindly persuasion. Looting the barn, they did manage to make a molotov cocktail and might have cajoled the med student into taking a pitchfork just in case. :)

Some of them had the bright idea of barricading in the farm house, but then they came to their senses about just how fun hiding out the whole time would be, especially after they killed a few more zombies, and saw many more shapes coming at them from the crops!

The Church

The party then made it to the church, where the worn out minister decided to let them in and tell them the horrid history behind these events. Despite my best efforts: Not drawing on the battle map, describing the doors blowing off the hinges, the grotesque imposing stature of the Huntsman, all that. One or two of the party actually elected to stay and fight! If I recall, the spellcaster landed a clean shot on the Huntsman, might have even "killed" him, but after a wound or two the party wised up and managed to escape the chaos.

Finale

Unfortunately the final scene wasn't the coolest thing in the world. The party came face-to-face with a pack of hunters lead by the now-resurrected Huntsman. They held them off while the paranormal investigator went through a Dramatic Task to coax the victimized spirit of Marla to rise and take her vengeance. (By this time, everyone was kinda tired, some were booze-crashing a little, and Marla just obliterating the bad guy isn't super exciting lol.)

I seem to remember an incident where someone rolled snake-eyes throwing the molotov. My only response was "...wait...seriously?"
I think despite the firebomb dropping and shattering where the thrower stood, the whole party still managed to survive. :lol:

As for the aftermath, I distinctly remember someone VERY much enjoying punching ol' Bernie the bus driver square in the face. :)

Thanks to all your suggestions, it turned out to be a very enjoyable game for everyone! Can't tell you all how much I appreciate it!

Sorry this response was both long, and a long time coming. ;)

EDIT: For readability, and to break up the wall of text a little.

Deskepticon
Veteran

#16 Postby Deskepticon » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:23 pm

We don't mind necro-posts here. :D

Looks like the session went pretty well.

Snate56
Legendary

#17 Postby Snate56 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:07 am

What if Marla doesn't destroy the Huntsman? What if she rushes him passing through him leaving him considerably weaker (and mortal)?
This leaves open the chance for the heroes to actually kill him.

SteveN
"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reasons."
>Mark Twain<

Arcangel_Zero7
Novice

#18 Postby Arcangel_Zero7 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:38 pm

Deskepticon wrote:Looks like the session went pretty well.

I'd say so! It was a good evening for everyone, they got pretty into their characters, and it showed off how much fun we could have with my favorite game system with minimal fiddling and rules lookups. :P
One of my favorite things about it were the printable "character cards" that kept everything nice and compact (both genders for each character too!). I've found walking casual newbies through character creation for a one-shot is pretty tedious for all involved. (Also not having to think about balancing a bunch of pre-gens myself was a treat!)

Snate56 wrote:What if Marla doesn't destroy the Huntsman? What if she rushes him passing through him leaving him considerably weaker (and mortal)?
This leaves open the chance for the heroes to actually kill him.

Woah, like "The Mummy"! :O That would have been excellent! If I ever run it again I REALLY hope I remember this. :)

Snate56
Legendary

#19 Postby Snate56 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:45 pm

I know it's a tad late now, but when I run stuff like the Wild Hunt & One-Sheets for newbies, I will print off several copies of the Test Drive rules and use those.
Kinda introduces Savage Worlds a bit at a time.

SteveN
"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reasons."
>Mark Twain<

amerigoV
Heroic

#20 Postby amerigoV » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:05 am

Arcangel_Zero7 wrote:
Escape?

They decided to high-tail it out of town, and this scene was oh-so-satisfying as you said it would be, as the gas station vanished into the darkness, and a faint light appeared up ahead...where they recognized a familiar lamp post, a busted up store, an abandoned bus. No zombies though, so they moved quick to try to siphon gas from the bus...too bad some nefarious jerk cut the fuel line!

That gives me warm and fuzzies to start of the week - sounds like it was a great time! Thanks for posting a summary.
Savage Buckeye!

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”