Custom Setting Rules

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

ThatAnnoyingGuy
Novice

Re: Custom Setting Rules

#81 Postby ThatAnnoyingGuy » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:06 pm

Spray and pray: If every shooting roll from a full auto burst hits a single enemy they can choose to roll damage as normal or make one damage roll against the least armored location.
"For the moment, the Earth is where we make our stand."

Deskepticon
Veteran

#82 Postby Deskepticon » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:42 pm

ThatAnnoyingGuy wrote:Spray and pray: If every shooting roll from a full auto burst hits a single enemy they can choose to roll damage as normal or make one damage roll against the least armored location.

I would probably change this to say that if every die hit then one of them hits the least armored location while the others hit center mass.

The rule already requires all dice to hit... taking 2 or 3 away just for a better damage roll on one feels... cheap. The shooter would be better off making a Called Shot and hoping for more than one success.

ThatAnnoyingGuy
Novice

#83 Postby ThatAnnoyingGuy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:15 am

Deskepticon wrote:
ThatAnnoyingGuy wrote:Spray and pray: If every shooting roll from a full auto burst hits a single enemy they can choose to roll damage as normal or make one damage roll against the least armored location.

I would probably change this to say that if every die hit then one of them hits the least armored location while the others hit center mass.

The rule already requires all dice to hit... taking 2 or 3 away just for a better damage roll on one feels... cheap. The shooter would be better off making a Called Shot and hoping for more than one success.

Its something I have been toying around with in my head, not something I've actually used yet. Thanks for the feedback.

savageswede
Novice

#84 Postby savageswede » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:38 pm

I run games with a modified version of Critical Failures. Snake eyes can be rerolled but the bennie goes to the GM stack. This makes it possible for players to avoid "mishaps" but at a higher price, and i get more bennies :twisted:

Myrmicus
Novice

#85 Postby Myrmicus » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:42 pm

More suited for a Sci-Fi game :

Cyber-Reject : Just like in real life, the organism sees transplants as foreign and rejects them. Someone with cyberwares must take some sort of medication to keep them. Treat this as a the Major Hindrance Habit. The Cyber-Tolerent and Cyborg Edges don't counter this, but the GM might allow to lower the Hindrance to Minor if they do not exceed bonus number of cyberware granted.
Purpose : Sacrificing a limb should be something big, not just "Cut my arm so I can have a better one !". It is inspired by Deus Ex.

Essence Wreacking : A being is one body and mind, a whole. Cutting pieces of the body is cutting pieces of the very person. The maximum Power Points of the character is lowered by 2 for each Cyberware installed. The Cyber-Tolerent and Cyborg Edges ignore this for the extra cyberwares they grant. If a Cyborg have the Arcane Background, he can choose to not be able to buy the Power Point edge as his tied Hindrance. Doesn't affect the Weird Science Arcane Background.
Purpose : Augment your mind or your body, not both. Inspired by Shadowrun and Star Wars.

Not really a house rule, but an extension, a Background Edge :
Arcaneware :
Requirements : Vigor d6, Healing d6, Arcane Background (Weird Science)
Allow the Weird Scientist to create Weird Cyberwares. Each new power is either a device or a cyberware. If the latter, it must be transplanted to function fully and use one slot. Furthermore, anyone transplanted with an Arcaneware can take the edge Soul Drain to recharge its transplanted powers.

Deskepticon
Veteran

#86 Postby Deskepticon » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:03 pm

Myrmicus wrote:More suited for a Sci-Fi game :

Cyber-Reject : Just like in real life, the organism sees transplants as foreign and rejects them. Someone with cyberwares must take some sort of medication to keep them. Treat this as a the Major Hindrance Habit. The Cyber-Tolerent and Cyborg Edges don't counter this, but the GM might allow to lower the Hindrance to Minor if they do not exceed bonus number of cyberware granted.
Purpose : Sacrificing a limb should be something big, not just "Cut my arm so I can have a better one !". It is inspired by Deus Ex.

I'm not seeing a cohesive theme here. Basically the character needs to take medicine to keep his body from rejecting the implants. If he doesn't, he takes Fatigue damage... but the implants continue to function. :? In real life, this type of thing occurs with live organ transplants... and rejection means the organ does not function properly, or at all.

And downgrading Habit to a Minor hindrance doesn't make sense because the two versions work quite differently.

Essence Wreacking : A being is one body and mind, a whole. Cutting pieces of the body is cutting pieces of the very person. The maximum Power Points of the character is lowered by 2 for each Cyberware installed. The Cyber-Tolerent and Cyborg Edges ignore this for the extra cyberwares they grant. If a Cyborg have the Arcane Background, he can choose to not be able to buy the Power Point edge as his tied Hindrance. Doesn't affect the Weird Science Arcane Background.
Purpose : Augment your mind or your body, not both. Inspired by Shadowrun and Star Wars.

Okay. Probably geared toward a more sci-fantasy setting, but I can dig it.

"...maximum Power Points of the character is lowered by 2 for each Cyberware installed"
This is pretty arbitrary. I'd go with: "subtract 2 PP for each point of Strain lost."

"The Cyber-Tolerent and Cyborg Edges ignore this for the extra cyberwares they grant."
Creates unnecessary amount of bookkeeping. Maybe go with: " the Cyber-Tolerant and Cyborg edges reduce PP loss to 1/Strain."

Not really a house rule, but an extension, a Background Edge :
Arcaneware :
Allow the Weird Scientist to create Weird Cyberwares. Each new power is either a device or a cyberware. If the latter, it must be transplanted to function fully and use one slot. Furthermore, anyone transplanted with an Arcaneware can take the edge Soul Drain to recharge its transplanted powers.

I don't really see the benefit here.
The WS device can be installed as cyberware (presumably costing Strain? How much?). It allows the use of Soul Drain to be used (normally not allowed for WS), but requires the Edge to be bought separately, and is therefore only worth it if the character has several implanted devices.

There's something there with this edge, but as written it feels pretty weak.

Myrmicus
Novice

#87 Postby Myrmicus » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:06 am

Deskepticon wrote:I'm not seeing a cohesive theme here. Basically the character needs to take medicine to keep his body from rejecting the implants. If he doesn't, he takes Fatigue damage... but the implants continue to function. :? In real life, this type of thing occurs with live organ transplants... and rejection means the organ does not function properly, or at all.

And downgrading Habit to a Minor hindrance doesn't make sense because the two versions work quite differently.

Well, the approach I had is that the body reject the Cyberware but, not being organic, it doesn't cease to function, it just causes trouble for the body.
Another idea could be to make the rule like the Major Habit, but instead of getting Fatigue, one random cyberware cease to function.

As for the Minor downgrade, I didn't thought on how to include Cyber-Tolerent and Cyborg into it.

Okay. Probably geared toward a more sci-fantasy setting, but I can dig it.

"...maximum Power Points of the character is lowered by 2 for each Cyberware installed"
This is pretty arbitrary. I'd go with: "subtract 2 PP for each point of Strain lost."

"The Cyber-Tolerent and Cyborg Edges ignore this for the extra cyberwares they grant."
Creates unnecessary amount of bookkeeping. Maybe go with: " the Cyber-Tolerant and Cyborg edges reduce PP loss to 1/Strain."

Good idea.
In fact, I had my Sci-Fi Companions for christmas and got one in french (even though all my other Savage World stuff is written in english, didn't even know it was possible to have the books in french). Truth is, that was my idea but I didn't know how to translate this particular aspect.

The WS device can be installed as cyberware (presumably costing Strain? How much?). It allows the use of Soul Drain to be used (normally not allowed for WS), but requires the Edge to be bought separately, and is therefore only worth it if the character has several implanted devices.

The strain question is a good one, I figured 1 Strain per power would be good, but one never know, maybe making the strain cost change with the powers rank. The Soul Drain was tacked in because it made sense : Soul Drain allow you to drain yourself to get power points and since the Arcaneware is a part of your body, it could drain you... I toyed with the idea of changing the Soul Drain requirement for Arcaneware (dropping the Knowledge Arcana or changing it with something else, but what ?)
IMHO, this edge is interesting because the Arcaneware is much more difficult to destroy/steal than a normal WS gizmo. Each WS power having its own power point pool makes it quite good IMO.

At first, I thought about having Arcaneware as its own Arcane Background, functionning exactly like Weird Science, but creating cyberwares instead of devices and allowing the use of Soul Drain.

Deskepticon
Veteran

#88 Postby Deskepticon » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:11 am

Myrmicus wrote:Well, the approach I had is that the body reject the Cyberware but, not being organic, it doesn't cease to function, it just causes trouble for the body.

Yes, but if the body doesn't recognize the input from the cyberware, it wouldn't have the desired effect. So whereas there is nothing mechanically wrong with the implant, the recipient wouldn't receive the benefit because the signal is simply lost in a neurological jumble.

Another idea could be to make the rule like the Major Habit, but instead of getting Fatigue, one random cyberware cease to function.

This would be the direction I would take.
Just off the top if my head: If the character misses a treatment/doesn't take their medicine, they roll the lower of either Spirit or Vigor each day. On a failure all their cyberware suffer mishaps. On a second failure all cyberware ceases to function entirely.

This is widely interpretive. So a "mishap" with cyber eyes may be the Bad Eyes hindrance, with Blind resulting from total failure. A mishap with a cyberlimb may be -2 to cooperative Strength/Agility rolls, with One Arm/One Leg resulting on complete failure. Et cetera.

As for the Minor downgrade, I didn't thought on how to include Cyber-Tolerent and Cyborg into it.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't even factor those Edges into the equation. All they do is increase the amount if cyberware a character can have. The Cyber-Rejection setting rule simply applies to all cyberware, regardless of how much or how little the person has.

The strain question is a good one, I figured 1 Strain per power would be good, but one never know, maybe making the strain cost change with the powers rank.

My gut is telling me to base the strain on comparable cyberware. So an arm-cannon would be treated as a limb; far sight lenses would be treated as cybereyes, etc.

Maybe something else is in order... like, "Strain equals half of PP cost" or something. Dunno.

The Soul Drain was tacked in because it made sense : Soul Drain allow you to drain yourself to get power points and since the Arcaneware is a part of your body, it could drain you... I toyed with the idea of changing the Soul Drain requirement for Arcaneware (dropping the Knowledge Arcana or changing it with something else, but what ?)

I like the Soul Drain aspect to this.
However, I would just make it part of the Edge rather than requiring players to take it separately. I would also run it the way Soul Drain actually functions; as an immediate source of extra PP. The Points cannot be "stored," they must be used immediately or lost.

IMHO, this edge is interesting because the Arcaneware is much more difficult to destroy/steal than a normal WS gizmo. Each WS power having its own power point pool makes it quite good IMO.

But they can't be loaned out either. And WS devices still break on a mishap. An implant would require not just a Repair roll, but likely a Knowledge (cyber-surgery) roll as well.

You also alluded to the idea of placing the implant in other people. This would "tie-up" one of the weird scientist's powers, in the same way that loaning a device out does. If the scientist "builds a replacement," then the original implant must necessarily stop working.

Myrmicus
Novice

#89 Postby Myrmicus » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:10 am

So, let's recap :

Cyber-Reject : Just like any transplanted organs, cyberware are seen as foreign by tho body. As such, anyone sporting cyberware must take some sort of medication to prevent his body from rejecting the transplants at least once a day. If he cannot, the character must roll the lowest of his Vigor or Spirit. A failure means his cyberwares suffer mishaps, inflincting -2 on any trait roll tied to the cyberwares and can inflinct minor hindrances (a cyber-eye may inflinct the Bad Eyes hindrance). On a critical failure, or after two consecutive failures, the cyberwares simply cease to function and may inflinct Major Hindrances (a cyber-leg may result with the One Leg hindrance). The cyberwares start working normally one day after taking the treatment again, but the GM might allow for a shorter period if the character has the Cyber-Tolorent/Cyborg edge or some sort of natural regeneration (like the Fast Healer edge or a racial regeneration).
Purpose : Made to avoid the players who simply mutilate themselves and end up better than before. Inspired from Deus Ex.

Essence Wreacking : A being is one body and mind, a whole. Cutting pieces of the body is cutting pieces of the very person. When a character gets cyberwares his maximum Power Points are lowered by 2PP for each Strain lost, or 1PP if he has the Cyber-Tolerant or Cyborg edges.
Purpose : Forces players to choose between a strong body or a strong mind. Inspired from Star Wars and Shadowrun.

A Background Edge :
Arcaneware
When the Weird Scientist get a new power, he can choose wether to build it as a device or as a cyberware. If the latter, the Cyberware function just like a normal device, but can be transplanted on anyone. The strain cost depends on the trappings of the powers, a Burst power trapped as a wrist mounted flamethrower will cost 1 Strain, just like a normal Ranged Weapon cyberware. Additionnally, the transplanted character is considered having a Soul Drain edge that will only function with his arcanewares.
Destroyed Arcaneware : This requires a medical station, tools and a Healing or Knowledge (Surgery) roll, minus the Strain cost or a normal Knowledge (Cyber-Surgery) roll, followed by a Repair roll and takes 2d6 hours.
Transplanting/Extracting Arcaneware : This requires a Healing roll, minus the Strain cost or a normal Knowledge (Cyber-Surgery) and require medical tools, a medical station and 1d6 hours. A failure on this roll forces the one who get the arcaneware to make a Vigor roll -4. A success means the arcaneware function as intanded, but a failure means the arcaneware is destroyed. Alternatively, the classic transplant and extraction rules may be used, the basic cost of the operation being 3K$.

Is that better ?

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#90 Postby ValhallaGH » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:47 pm

Decided to formalize one I've been using for a few months.

That Escalated
When a player character is Incapacitated, all player characters participating in the scene get a Benny.
Purpose: Increase fun and reduce lethality for those times when PCs get put down by enemies.
Notes: Because I do this before the Incapacitation roll, it ensures a player has at least one Benny to spend on the Incapacitation roll. I originally conceptualized this as giving a benny for the complication of, "your ally just went down." The most I've handed out for this rule, so far, was three to each player; they didn't (quite) wipe that battle, but it was nasty.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

ThatAnnoyingGuy
Novice

#91 Postby ThatAnnoyingGuy » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:47 pm

Blown Away When using a heavy weapon on a non heavy armored opponent, use the SPC knock-back rules. For use in settings without many heavy weapons.

Myrmicus
Novice

#92 Postby Myrmicus » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:21 pm

Bouncing Bullets : When firing with a ranged weapon, a character can choose to make his bullet(s) bounce on walls, ceiling or other scenery elements to hit an opponent. If he does so, he suffers -1 to his shooting and damage rolls for each bounce. Such a shot ignore cover penalties. How many bounce is needed to reach the target is the GM's call. Scopes do not grant any bonus to a Bouncing Bullet shot, but a laser sight can.
Purpose : Aims to make the game more "pulp" in essence.
Inspiration : The game SteamWorld Heist

Drop the Hat : If a character misses a called shot on an opponent's head with 2 or less points under the roll's difficulty, he instead shoot the hat/helmet off, without harming the character. Aiming directly at the helmet/hat for the same result is a -4 called shot. A character who wears a hat or a helmet can spend a benny to negate any damage from a called shot to his head, his hat is shot off instead.
Inspiration : Same as above

Some Edges :
Ricochet Expert :
Requirements : Shooting d8, Seasoned
The character ignore the -1 penalty to his shooting and damage rolls, when making a bouncing bullet shot.

Ricochet Master :
Requirements : Ricochet Expert, Veteran
The character ignores up to -2 penalties to his shooting and damage rolls, when making a bouncing bullet shot.

Ricochet Madness :
Requirements : Shooting d8, Seasoned
When dealt a Joker, the character ignore any penalty when attempting a bouncing bullet shot.

Hat Slayer :
Requirements : Intimidation or Taunt d8, Novice
When shooting a hat off, the character can make a free Intimidation or Taunt roll against the opponent who just lost his hat.

Hat Reaper :
Requirements : Hat Slayer, Seasoned
Same as Hat Slayer, but the characters gain a +2 bonus to his free Intimidation or Taunt roll.

Mad Hatter :
Requirements : Agility d8, Taunt d6
When having his hat shot off, the character can attempt an Agility Roll. If he succeed, he somehow catch the flying hat mid-air and put it back on his head. He can then make a free Taunt roll against the one who shot his hat off.

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”