Good Edges for a non-fighting "cleric"?

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Deskepticon
Veteran

Re: Good Edges for a non-fighting "cleric"?

#21 Postby Deskepticon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:56 pm

Ilina_Young wrote:...and getting a raise to get the +2 isn't guaranteed because there aren't really edges that boost arcane skills.

But there is a power... called boost/lower Trait. And it stacks with itself.

Freemage
Veteran

#22 Postby Freemage » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:06 am

Ilina_Young wrote:static bonuses are everywhere. you find them in the form of edges and equipment. you can literally get +8 to charisma and a total of +10 to streetwise in just the core rulebook. even then, it is only lasting 3 rounds for the proposed boost trait static bonuses. because the duration doesn't change. 3 rounds for 3 power points is a lot of PP to be spending to simulate the fractional benefit of an edge. because most edges provide +2 to more than just one skill. sure, you can provide +1 or +2 to combat skills, but combat skills aren't usually rolling against just a 4.

You're ignoring Shooting, there--which is against a 4, in most cases. And throwing grenades or other area attacks. Alternately, in a combat, drop it on Agility, and never worry about grenade-like weapons again. (If your combats are going significantly longer than three rounds, I'd suggest that they are unusual, BTW--I've rarely seen anything other than a major story arc combat go more than five.)

And of course, giving yourself or an ally a flat +1 or +2 to the Arcane Skill of your choice? Yeah, that's beyond huge.

Ilina_Young
Veteran

#23 Postby Ilina_Young » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:33 am

even if you can't get cover against bullets to turn that TN 4 into a TN 6. you can drop prone and effectively do the same thing. and when your GM runs the old shaken rules using large groups of enemy extras with bloated combat stats that ignore any penalty that would logically hinder them. against PCs that are completely benny starved. combat ends up taking 6, maybe 8 rounds to resolve.

Freemage
Veteran

#24 Postby Freemage » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:49 am

Ilina_Young wrote:even if you can't get cover against bullets to turn that TN 4 into a TN 6. you can drop prone and effectively do the same thing. and when your GM runs the old shaken rules using large groups of enemy extras with bloated combat stats that ignore any penalty that would logically hinder them. against PCs that are completely benny starved. combat ends up taking 6, maybe 8 rounds to resolve.

Ah, see, this changes everything. You're literally playing a different game than most of the folks on the forum have described--it's therefore hardly surprising that your proposal, which might be very suitable for your game, is seen as quite out of place in the larger play environment. (I highlighted 4 separate points in your sentence that jump out as atypical, at best; the one where the NPCs are ignoring penalties that would presumably be applied to the PCs is simply a GM trying to cheat, which is stupid, because GMs already have the ability to call in orbital nukes if they need to.)

Mavis
Seasoned

#25 Postby Mavis » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:07 am

Freemage wrote:If your combats are going significantly longer than three rounds, I'd suggest that they are unusual, BTW--I've rarely seen anything other than a major story arc combat go more than five.

Wow, only 3 rounds for a combat! To me that sounds unusual. It does depend slightly on the group but my guess would be that our quickest combats might last 5 rounds and 8-10 rounds will be about average.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#26 Postby ValhallaGH » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:33 am

Ilina_Young wrote:i generally take Boost Trait with the Static Bonus Trapping. the Static Bonus replaces each die type increase with a +1 static bonus, meaning +1 with a success or +2 with a raise. which makes it less useful for emulating untrained skills and less capable of boosting derived values, in exchange for increasing the reliability of success on tests with a particular skill or attribute. but it also boosts the wild die, but i have found it to be a balanced trapping due to being less math intensive and providing the immediate desired bonus. effectively, a d6 skill becomes d6+1 with a success and d6+2 with a raise instead of d8 and d10.

That's a significant increase to the power, for most campaigns.
For the games you describe, it sounds like you need that boost to have a chance.
For a basic success with a trained skill, +1 to a Trait as good as +3 die types. Which means that your Static Bonus Trapping basic effect is better than success with a raise for most boost Trait results. The loss of utility for untrained Skills is a big balancing factor, so I'd probably only charge +1 PP if a player came to me with this Trapping.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”