Some Questions from a new person

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

CelticRome
Novice

Some Questions from a new person

#1 Postby CelticRome » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:03 am

I've never played with the Savage World rules or any of it before, my only reference for tabletop games is Dungeons and Dragons. I'm currently wanting to try to gm a weird wars 1 game with some friends but after seeing I need the token things (I forgot the name, they are repurposed poker chips I believe) and cards and such I was wondering if there is a way just to say replace those with dice similar to D&D just till I get the extra supplies? Also another question, is weird wars and other savage worlds games played only on like a tabletop online thing? Cause I would like to try playing sometime to just try it out so like a oneshot campaign.

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Some Questions from a new person

#2 Postby Clint » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:37 am

CelticRome wrote:I've never played with the Savage World rules or any of it before, my only reference for tabletop games is Dungeons and Dragons. I'm currently wanting to try to gm a weird wars 1 game with some friends but after seeing I need the token things (I forgot the name, they are repurposed poker chips I believe) and cards and such I was wondering if there is a way just to say replace those with dice similar to D&D just till I get the extra supplies?

You don't have to use poker chips to represent Bennies, anything could work pennies, paper clips, whatever (one game I used gummy sharks which the players ate when they used them). Even then, physical tokens help, but they aren't necessary, players could just track their Bennies on their character sheet, marking one off when used or marking a new one when earned.

The playing cards are more important, but any standard deck of 54 cards works. An inexpensive deck can be picked up at almost any local store or pharmacy.

CelticRome wrote:Also another question, is weird wars and other savage worlds games played only on like a tabletop online thing? Cause I would like to try playing sometime to just try it out so like a oneshot campaign.

There are online games of Savage Worlds played on Fantasy Grounds, Roll20, and other platforms, but others know more about that than me, so I'll let the experts help out here.

Hope that helps.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

CelticRome
Novice

#3 Postby CelticRome » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:48 pm

Thanks that did help quite a bit though I'm just alittle confused on how I could just use standard cards cause the book had went on about how I had to use their cards.

Brickulos
Veteran

#4 Postby Brickulos » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:02 pm

CelticRome wrote:Thanks that did help quite a bit though I'm just alittle confused on how I could just use standard cards cause the book had went on about how I had to use their cards.

No, all you need is a standard playing card deck for the Action Deck. Are you maybe thinking of the Adventure Deck?

CelticRome
Novice

#5 Postby CelticRome » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:18 pm

Brickulos wrote:
CelticRome wrote:Thanks that did help quite a bit though I'm just alittle confused on how I could just use standard cards cause the book had went on about how I had to use their cards.

No, all you need is a standard playing card deck for the Action Deck. Are you maybe thinking of the Adventure Deck?

No, in the deluxe edition savage worlds book, it said how I need to have their action deck cause the cards say what actions they take and such and said the adventure deck was optional but that it adds a fun twist. It never mentioned just using standard playing cards, how would I use just standard playing cards for this?

Brickulos
Veteran

#6 Postby Brickulos » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:24 pm

CelticRome wrote:
Brickulos wrote:

No, in the deluxe edition savage worlds book, it said how I need to have their action deck cause the cards say what actions they take and such and said the adventure deck was optional but that it adds a fun twist. It never mentioned just using standard playing cards, how would I use just standard playing cards for this?

You need an Action Deck to play. But any standard deck of playing cards can be used as an Action Deck. You deal one card to each player, unless modified by Edges, and one for each group of NPCs crontrolled by the GM. The highest card goes first and then you count down to the next highest to determine who goes next. Ties are broken by giving precedent to reverse alphabetical order, spades, hearts, diamonds and clubs.

Clint
Site Admin

#7 Postby Clint » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:40 pm

CelticRome wrote:No, in the deluxe edition savage worlds book, it said how I need to have their action deck cause the cards say what actions they take and such and said the adventure deck was optional but that it adds a fun twist. It never mentioned just using standard playing cards, how would I use just standard playing cards for this?

The standard deck of cards is mentioned at the very beginning under Getting Started (same page the Adventure Deck is mentioned)...

"The Action Deck
Savage Worlds uses a standard deck of playing cards with the Jokers left in."

And then under Initiative where it says, "we use a single deck of playing cards with both Jokers left in to determine everyone’s initiative."

I'm not sure where "the cards say what actions they take" comes from as there's nothing even remotely like that in the rules I can think of. :?
Clint Black

Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

CelticRome
Novice

#8 Postby CelticRome » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:58 pm

Clint wrote:
CelticRome wrote:No, in the deluxe edition savage worlds book, it said how I need to have their action deck cause the cards say what actions they take and such and said the adventure deck was optional but that it adds a fun twist. It never mentioned just using standard playing cards, how would I use just standard playing cards for this?

The standard deck of cards is mentioned at the very beginning under Getting Started (same page the Adventure Deck is mentioned)...

"The Action Deck
Savage Worlds uses a standard deck of playing cards with the Jokers left in."

And then under Initiative where it says, "we use a single deck of playing cards with both Jokers left in to determine everyone’s initiative."

I'm not sure where "the cards say what actions they take" comes from as there's nothing even remotely like that in the rules I can think of. :?

The part about the cards say what actions they take it was made me think that I need special cards since that made no sense to me cause playing cards wouldn't say anything on them.

Deskepticon
Veteran

#9 Postby Deskepticon » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:02 pm

CelticRome wrote:The part about the cards say what actions they take it was made me think that I need special cards since that made no sense to me cause playing cards wouldn't say anything on them.

Can you please quote the section of the rules that is giving you trouble?
Because like others have said, a regular "plain ole" deck of cards is all you need. If you don't have a deck, ask one of your players. Just be sure Jokers are included.

If you really must play without a deck I would suggest keeping combat to a minimum. Or use the Quick Combat rules.

Initiative could be determined by an Agility roll, modified by any Edges/Hindrances (i.e., Level Headed adds +2 ; Quick guarantees a result of 3 if a 1 or 2 is rolled ; etc.)
... However, I can't recommend this approach.

CelticRome
Novice

#10 Postby CelticRome » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:03 pm

I was confused on the part about the card "decides what actions they take" That is the part that confused me and now that I reread it and know that they mean just normal playing cards (and not some special cards they released besides the adventure cards) I understand what they are talking about so I'm good now and excited to GM my first adventure this weekend. Thanks for the help it has helped a lot! :D

Brickulos
Veteran

#11 Postby Brickulos » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:07 pm

CelticRome wrote:I was confused on the part about the card "decides what actions they take" That is the part that confused me and now that I reread it and know that they mean just normal playing cards (and not some special cards they released besides the adventure cards) I understand what they are talking about so I'm good now and excited to GM my first adventure this weekend. Thanks for the help it has helped a lot! :D

You're welcome and welcome to forum! :mrgreen:

amerigoV
Heroic

#12 Postby amerigoV » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:16 am

CelticRome wrote:I've never played with the Savage World rules or any of it before, my only reference for tabletop games is Dungeons and Dragons,

Welcome and enjoy!
Savage Buckeye!

Erolat
Novice

#13 Postby Erolat » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:20 am

And remember, as GM nothing you do is wrong, just an opportunity to do better next time. You should be having as much fun as your players.

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”