Poker Tournament

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

TheCrimsonIdol
Novice

Poker Tournament

#1 Postby TheCrimsonIdol » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:50 pm

In my Sundered Skies campaign, I have, somehow, started a poker tournament between some player and other NPC.
[LongStoryShort] During the adventure "The Race" I suddenly decided to change things and in Shattered City the captain of the ship must win their Island Token playing cards with some npc. That was the end of the last session...

Now I wanted to prepare some rules for a poker/cards tournament, keeping it Fast, Fun and Furious :D

So... any idea to how to make it?

- There's not a skill called gambling in my world; I thought they could use whathever they think is useful (mostly Smart test, but whatever works men....)
- It's not a big deal if the pc lose...they try again to win the Island Token the next day
- I don't want to "reduce" it to a simple Dramatic Actions (with a success/failure result. There are other captain involved and maybe some other PC that could also be enemy)

My google search didn't help (to my surprise... with the amount of house rules and fan made materials in Savage Worlds I was sure to find something online).

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: Poker Tournament

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:21 pm

Thinking about it, you could adapt either the Mass Battle or Social Conflict rules.

Social Conflict
Three rounds of the Tournament, until the other captain is bored with this game. Have each side roll against TN 4, and simply compare successes at the end for final results.
A Tie would give the default result. Possibly, "I haven't had a match that good in years. Ye've earned this," and he throws the player the Island Token.
1-2 point victory gives the winner the Island Token and some cash.
3-4 point victory secures the Island Token and a lot of loot. Possibly, some cash and a resupply.
5+ point victory wins the jackpot. All previous rewards plus some big thing (a large favor, service from the loser, fame and acclaim throughout the City for such brilliant play, etc.)
If the players lost then they have to steal the Island Token. Which is doable, but as prime suspects they'll take a serious reputation hit in Shattered City (basically the Outsider Hindrance).

Mass Battle
A lengthy back-and-forth that allows for situational bonuses (Cheats +1 to +3, but a 1 on the Trait die gets you caught; Obvious Tells -1 to -3; Clever stratagem Varies) and some audience participation (catcalls, insults, etc., from other characters as Characters in Mass Battle).
Morale checks would be to see if the character can keep his nerve after a big loss.
If a side has to leave the "battle", either because of broken nerves or loss of stake, then they lost. Use Aftermath to see if they can reclaim / recover / replace some of their gambling stake. If the players can scrape together the minimum then they can try again. If not then they can try and steal the Island Token.

Good luck. I hope that was helpful.

P.S. Welcome to the forums!
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Erolat
Novice

#3 Postby Erolat » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:00 pm

Deadlands has a gambling option. (Page 73 if you have the book.) Each player makes a Gambling check and draws cards equal to the number of successes. In your world it might be Intimidate or Taunt to represent the "table talk" instead. At this point players can drop out, losing their stake, or continue. Then five cards are dealt to the table and players make the best hand they can using at least two cards from their draw; high hand wins. For a tournament you might require a minimum number of wins, or best out of X, prior to gaining the Island Token.

The advantage of this system is you can have one captain leading then get a set of bad hands and lose in the end.

TheCrimsonIdol
Novice

#4 Postby TheCrimsonIdol » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:08 pm

Thinking about it, you could adapt either the Mass Battle or Social Conflict rules.

I like both your suggestion (especially the mass battle one). I love how adaptable Savage Worlds is :)
Tomorrow I'll try to think if it is doable

P.S. Welcome to the forums!

Thx. Being playing/mastering SW for years and surprisingly never poster here

Deadlands has a gambling option. (Page 73 if you have the book.) Each player makes a Gambling check and draws cards equal to the number of successes.

This is also very interesting. I'll try to check it

Matchstickman
Seasoned

#5 Postby Matchstickman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:19 pm

TheCrimsonIdol wrote:This is also very interesting. I'll try to check it

It's also in the free PDF, "additions to second printing", on the side bar here
Collegium member: "Science is not an exact science."

Mavis
Seasoned

#6 Postby Mavis » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:30 pm

There is a two day knockout poker tournament Savage Tale in the Deadlands Stone and a Hard Place Plot Point Campaign, which as written was presented as a Dramatic Task using the Gambling skill. I ran it differently using the Deadlands gambling rules as written which ended up being played as four rounds of five hands each. Each round took 15-20 minutes. One of the PC's was a professional gambler and was trying to win and two other PC's also entered. The two highest winners in each match going through to the next round. Players not involved played (to win) as the NPC competitors The tournament formed the centre piece of the session with stuff going on around it. Throw in a bit of cheating. Really good fun.

TheCrimsonIdol
Novice

#7 Postby TheCrimsonIdol » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:05 pm

In the end, mostly because I didn't have much time to spare, I just used the Deadlands gambling option with a few small modifications.
It was fun and fast as expected :D

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”