Any ideas for a Heist in the Monastery adventure

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

thomas_jakobsen
Novice

Any ideas for a Heist in the Monastery adventure

#1 Postby thomas_jakobsen » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:12 am

Hi

For FASTAVAL (a Danish RPG CON during Easter-break) I have signed up to run a youth-game (age 10-13). The idea is that the characters are teen-monsters (vampires, werewolves, redcaps etc) that have decided to steal a long lost diamond form a convent. It is supposed to be a couple of hous of wacky fun.

I would love some ideas for encounters / troubles.

At the moment I have a rough draft for the game, assuming that the players make some sort of stealthy approach (probably disguising themselves as monks and getting in to some shenanigans.

There are of course some (drunk) monks brewing beer in the basement, a cook with a love of garlic, a retired crusader/monster hunter, guard-dogs, annoying gooses, and other distractions.

All ideas are welcome.

Thanks!
Thomas
Thomas Jakobsen
Denmark

Snate56
Legendary

Re: Any ideas for a Heist in the Monastery adventure

#2 Postby Snate56 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:25 am

Don't forget the visiting group of nuns from the order of St. George... an ancient martial order.

SteveN
"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reasons."
>Mark Twain<

Matchstickman
Seasoned

#3 Postby Matchstickman » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:33 am

Oh no! Tonight would have to be the same night that Victor and Hugo, burglars extraordinaire, decided to try and steal the diamond too!
Collegium member: "Science is not an exact science."

thomas_jakobsen
Novice

#4 Postby thomas_jakobsen » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:39 am

Ahh... Warrior Nuns and a Third Party. I like!
Great ideas. Hope to get more : )

/Thomas
Thomas Jakobsen

Denmark

thomas_jakobsen
Novice

#5 Postby thomas_jakobsen » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:29 am

I have made a handout for the players... a drawing of Esrum Kloster (a danish monastery):

/Thomas
Thomas Jakobsen

Denmark

Lord Karick
Seasoned

#6 Postby Lord Karick » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:08 am

How on earth are the vampires going to cross the running water? What effect is hallowed ground going to have on them, let alone all the crosses/crucifixes hanging around? The possibilities are endless!

galu
Seasoned

#7 Postby galu » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:50 am

What comes to mind

from The Name of the Rose
- visiting inquisitor (as a sideshow he trials and burns a hunchback and a "witch")
- a charismatic "liberal" monk in exile (undecided if heretic or not)
- an ancient library which is a dungeon (mostly with distorting mirrors and a creepy blind librarian)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Name_ ... ficium.svg
- ancient tome (might be heresy, might be not)

from an adventure I played in once (it turned out that while the party is a band of basterds, the monks for much more evil then them)
- a cult of not really holy monks
- summoning ritual (fortunately the GM forgot about the resilient sphere spell. It doesn't have angles, so the hounds of Tindalos slaughtered the monks, not the party wizard :D)
- some prisoners from the nearby village (among them a changeling kid, who the fey want back - this was the hook)
- lots of undead in the cellars (mostly former victims of the cult)
- a former victim held in place by a holy sword (you could take this awesome sword man! you could free this creature tho!)
- the abbot who made a faustian bargain with the devil, wanted to see the true words of creation
- a kind of duplicator from the movie prestige. (reward: the true word of God. Price: you must decide that after seeing the word, the exit teleporter is a teleporter or a cloning device. You can choose to leave with the original character without the word, or with the clone and a word)

Freemage
Veteran

#8 Postby Freemage » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:01 pm

The restless spirit of a monk who was sealed in the walls of one of the cloisters could make a potential friend/foe for the party. Possible reasons for his entombment:

1: He was caught practicing the Dark Arts and the monks of that time sealed him away, and he's been forgotten in the interim. Breaking the seals on the tomb allow him to work his malevolence on others, the exact nature of which is up to you (it could range from the low comic to the epic horrific, depending on your goals).
2: He was the loser in a political struggle for control of the monastery, murdered (or even entombed alive!) by the current abbot 20 years ago. Some members of the order have always suspected foul play, but there was no evidence. Finding him and figuring out the backstory could give the PCs the opportunity to negotiate their way out of this mess.
3: He was drunk during a remodel of the monastery, wandered into the gap in the walls and passed out, then got sealed in by the workers who failed to notice him laying there in the shadows. He was always assumed to have run away. His spirit is confused, and needs some guidance; in the meantime, he's wandering around the place, haunting the corridors. He's still hung-over, and thus grumpy.
4: He was actually a heroic and saintly member of the order, but due to a clerical (*rimshot*) error, his special tomb was not given the appropriate rites, and thus his burial site is not considered hallowed ground. His tomb must be blessed by a member of the order for him to achieve peace.

Deskepticon
Veteran

#9 Postby Deskepticon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:19 am

There are a lot of great ideas here, but some (I fear) might be too dark or "over the heads" of the target age group. My suggestion is to blend the horror with a good amount of humor. Kids that age are more engaged when they're laughing. The ones I like and second:

Freemage wrote:The restless spirit of a monk who was sealed in the walls of one of the cloisters could make a potential friend/foe for the party. Possible reasons for his entombment:
3: He was drunk during a remodel of the monastery, wandered into the gap in the walls and passed out, then got sealed in by the workers who failed to notice him laying there in the shadows. He was always assumed to have run away. His spirit is confused, and needs some guidance; in the meantime, he's wandering around the place, haunting the corridors. He's still hung-over, and thus grumpy.

I favor this approach since the OP is already including drunk monks in the campaign. Maybe the ghost is "haunting" them by stealing their beer... or maybe the ghost knows the recipe for the Perfect Ale and the PCs need to get the ghost to reveal it to the monks.

galu wrote:an ancient library which is a dungeon (mostly with distorting mirrors and a creepy blind librarian)

This sounds like a great setup for a Dramatic Task. The players need to find the right book before the librarian "sniffs them out." The book might contain a spell needed to break an enchantment on a door, or maybe it's a "trick book" that opens a hidden passage.

Matchstickman wrote:Oh no! Tonight would have to be the same night that Victor and Hugo, burglars extraordinaire, decided to try and steal the diamond too!

+1
This could be the climax, with the PCs chasing the thieves through the various rooms of the monestary (use the Chase rules). You can even turn it into a hilarious Benny Hill-type skit, with the monks chasing the monsters. The next round the thieves are chasing the monks (for no real particular reason other than it's just silly). In the third round maybe the drunk ghost monk shows up and joins the fracus.

Another idea:
The groundskeeper has a secret. Maybe he's been digging up bodies and experimenting on them. Or maybe he's a werewolf and tonite is a full moon.

thomas_jakobsen
Novice

#10 Postby thomas_jakobsen » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:49 am

Fabolous ideas. Thank you.

I will try to make the Grand Finale a chase. It sounds perfect to have the players chase a theif, while themselves being chased by angry monks.

/Thomas
Thomas Jakobsen

Denmark

galu
Seasoned

#11 Postby galu » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:08 pm

Deskepticon wrote:There are a lot of great ideas here, but some (I fear) might be too dark or "over the heads" of the target age group. My suggestion is to blend the horror with a good amount of humor. Kids that age are more engaged when they're laughing. The ones I like and second:

Yup, most likely.
In my games the two (grim+funny) is generally mixed to an extent... I think the reason might be that I like to throw tough enemies and challenges at the group, and sometimes they are defeated or are just in a perilous situation. In situations like this, fun generally helps the mood.

galu wrote:an ancient library which is a dungeon (mostly with distorting mirrors and a creepy blind librarian)

This sounds like a great setup for a Dramatic Task. The players need to find the right book before the librarian "sniffs them out." The book might contain a spell needed to break an enchantment on a door, or maybe it's a "trick book" that opens a hidden passage.

In the novel the difficulty in navigating the maze was that
- it was closed off to even the monks (contained heretic books), so the "party" (William of Baskerville and Adso of Melk) had to sneak in at the night
- the rooms are really like each other: same setup, same furniture, similar books, all in the night. The library is really 4* the same area
- in the end the blind guardian (Jorge IIRC) decides to: 1. let the whole library burn instead of allowing books to "leave" 2. decides to eat the pages of the mcguffin book, even tho the pages are coated in poison

Great novel Btw., if one can get over the fact that the latin conversations are not translated. (and you constantly have to find the translation in the back of the book... Or learn latin)

edit:
"dramatic task" Umberto's method used in his barbarian modules are great.
- you can make a check each "chase turn" (investigation in looking for book, agility in an actual chase, tracking when following bandits)
- the team must collect X number of successes (raise counts as +1, fail counts as +0, not -1)
- in every "chase turn" they have an encounter (strange location, trap, monster, etc.)
So they don't actually navigate through the corridors as usual, just go through the interesting locations, the "empty rooms" are edited out.

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”