Dragging a PC Behind a Horse

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Toa Lewa
Novice

Dragging a PC Behind a Horse

#1 Postby Toa Lewa » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:05 pm

I have an idea about having a rider run by, entangle a player in a mancatcher, and continue moving as far as the horse's movement can go - dragging the PC along the ground as it goes. I have an idea of how to apply damage in this instance, but I wanted to get some feedback from other GMs.

1. Use bumps and bruises rules.
2. Use collision damage rules.

What do you think is more realistic? Getting dragged sounds like it would be terrible-terrible circumstance, however, both of these options don't seem likely to do much damage to the PC. If a horse moves 5", only 1d6 of damage will be dealt. I think the bumps and bruises rules are more likely to deal fatigue, but again, it is only fatigue. What do you all suggest?

SteelDraco
Seasoned

Re: Dragging a PC Behind a Horse

#2 Postby SteelDraco » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:34 pm

I think the collision rules are the right way to go. A horse moving 5" in a turn is basically walking. It would be uncomfortable, but it's reasonable that it wouldn't hurt you too badly. A running horse can hit Pace 15" pretty easily (10 base + d8 running) which means once it gets going you'll be looking at 2d6 or 3d6 every turn for getting road-hauled by a running horse. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

Freemage
Veteran

#3 Postby Freemage » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:41 pm

Toa Lewa wrote:I have an idea about having a rider run by, entangle a player in a mancatcher, and continue moving as far as the horse's movement can go - dragging the PC along the ground as it goes. I have an idea of how to apply damage in this instance, but I wanted to get some feedback from other GMs.

1. Use bumps and bruises rules.
2. Use collision damage rules.

What do you think is more realistic? Getting dragged sounds like it would be terrible-terrible circumstance, however, both of these options don't seem likely to do much damage to the PC. If a horse moves 5", only 1d6 of damage will be dealt. I think the bumps and bruises rules are more likely to deal fatigue, but again, it is only fatigue. What do you all suggest?

I'd say Bumps & Bruises. Modify the roll by how fast the horse is moving, too--every 5" of movement inflicts a -1 to all actions and to the Vigor roll to resist Fatigue. I'd also say that Exhausted characters who fail the roll then take a Wound--so seven rounds of being dragged by a horse is potentially fatal, if you fail all the rolls.

dentris
Veteran

#4 Postby dentris » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:23 pm

Do you want to allow him to escape? What about a dramatic task? Instead of a time limit, if he rolls one or less on his roll, he suffers one level of fatigue. If he draws a club, failure on the rolls mean one wound.
But the Voice consoles me and it says: "Keep your dreams;
Wise men do not have such beautiful ones as fools!"
--Baudelaire, Les Fleurs du Mal, 1857, Translated by William Aggeler, 1954

JackMann
Veteran

#5 Postby JackMann » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:25 am

What's the tone of the game? What kind of roll is it to get caught and dragged?

Savage Worlds is not an especially realistic game. It's more important to fit the intended tone and genre than it is to be realistic.

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”