One of my players is inside another?!

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

loconius
Novice

One of my players is inside another?!

#1 Postby loconius » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:36 am

One player in my last parsec campaign is playing a robot, similar to Edward from full metal alchemist and as such allows other players to climb in as protection or just general utility in space.

How would you go about handling this?

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: One of my players is inside another?!

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:45 am

Damn, that's a big robot. What is he, Size +3?
Also, how does he have a storage space big enough for a human? He needs those insides to hold his moving parts!
How is this area a sealed environment suitable for sustaining life in space?

But if you've already allowed it to happen then the above is rather useless. How would I handle it?
Kind of like a Walker. Any time the robot takes a wound, there's a random chance that the occupant (a.k.a. "crew") is hit. If the robot is Incapacitated then the "crew" is automatically hit and things may get even worse. :twisted:
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

ZenFox42
Veteran

#3 Postby ZenFox42 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:22 am

Could you expand on that idea some? Like, how much of a random chance? What does "getting hit" mean? The occupant takes the same damage as the robot, minus the robot's Toughness? With or without armor (or, minus just armor)? Or just a flat -12, treating the robot's skin as a large shield for the occupant's purposes? Thanks!
Savage Summaries-RAW, with added info from Clint:Combat Actions,Cover,Healing,Using Powers,Grappling,Chases
Also:Persuasion,Better Bosses,Better Combat Rating
And:historical tech levels,generic sci-fi tech levels

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#4 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:31 am

ZenFox42 wrote:Could you expand on that idea some? Like, how much of a random chance? What does "getting hit" mean? The occupant takes the same damage as the robot, minus the robot's Toughness? With or without armor (or, minus just armor)? Or just a flat -12, treating the robot's skin as a large shield for the occupant's purposes? Thanks!

See the Walkers in the SFC.
2d6, crew hit on a 9 or 10 (about 19%).
If crew affected, reroll damage and apply it to the crew, crew benefits from Armor of the "vehicle".

kronovan
Heroic

#5 Postby kronovan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:53 am

I love this kind of stuff, it's so Savage World. You just don't read about people attempting this stuff with other RPGs. :D

I can see a walker (I'd allow nothing larger than a Light) being a possibility too. However, that presents some challenges for the occupants attacks, because in a typical walker you're using the walker's weapons while in this scenario the occupant will use their own. That complicates things because a walker isn't really designed for internal occupant's bringing their own weapons to bear on a foe. Not to mention that even a Light walker has far superior Toughness to a robot. To me this scenario is more like being seated in a small vehicle; maybe even a small armored vehicle

If I were to do this, I'd probably create a sort of hybrid robot-vehicle by basing it on a chassis that's closes to the robots armor; can't imagine that'd be anything larger than Light . Then just sort of kit-bash the features together. You could also just have 2 separate stats; 1 for the robot and the other for a very similar vehicle. The nice thing about vehicles is that they're focused around occupants, so they have passenger focused mods like "Exposed Crew", "Crew Reduction" and "Ejection System"; because you just never know when that robot PC might go down. 8) Movement should be based on the robots pace, unless you want that robot PC leaving everyone in their dust. Vehicle "Speed Reduction" isn't really an option to get comparable movement, because even the 3 instance of it with a Light chassis doesn't lower ACC/TS close to a robot with maxed "Pace". I'm not that familiar with the anime referenced by the OP, but if having an occupant isn't a primary function of Edward or the robot in your campaign, then IMO there should probably be a penalty for attacks even worse than the standard moving platform penalty - I mean most robot steps aren't exactly graceful.
Last edited by kronovan on Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ndreare
Veteran

#6 Postby Ndreare » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:58 am

ValhallaGH wrote:
ZenFox42 wrote:Could you expand on that idea some? Like, how much of a random chance? What does "getting hit" mean? The occupant takes the same damage as the robot, minus the robot's Toughness? With or without armor (or, minus just armor)? Or just a flat -12, treating the robot's skin as a large shield for the occupant's purposes? Thanks!

See the Walkers in the SFC.
2d6, crew hit on a 9 or 10 (about 19%).
If crew affected, reroll damage and apply it to the crew, crew benefits from Armor of the "vehicle".

I really like this answer. It required no additional or new rules and works perfectly.

ZenFox42
Veteran

#7 Postby ZenFox42 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:17 am

Me too, except for the bit about *re-rolling* damage to the crew. Since it's the robot that's being damaged, I'd think that it's *that* damage that would be affecting the crew as well, minus what's absorbed by the robot's Armor...
Savage Summaries-RAW, with added info from Clint:Combat Actions,Cover,Healing,Using Powers,Grappling,Chases

Also:Persuasion,Better Bosses,Better Combat Rating

And:historical tech levels,generic sci-fi tech levels

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#8 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:52 am

ZenFox42 wrote:Me too, except for the bit about *re-rolling* damage to the crew. Since it's the robot that's being damaged, I'd think that it's *that* damage that would be affecting the crew as well, minus what's absorbed by the robot's Armor...

Damage is fickle and random. You roll damage for each Wild Card target inside a grenade explosion (and potentially every single target), and when you get a Crew critical hit you're supposed to reroll the damage against the affected crew.
I'm suggesting that you apply the exact same rules to the "crew" inside the robot PC. We know the damage total was high, since it injured the robot (it had to cause at least one Wound to risk affecting the "crew"), and presumably the robot is tougher than the passenger, so a total that can Wound the robot will probably Incapacitate the passenger. Which isn't particularly fun for either character.

Ndreare
Veteran

#9 Postby Ndreare » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:37 am

Back when I worked as a Medical Tech in a Health South Rehabilitation hospital I saw the randomness of damage all the time.

Three people rolled in cars two get out and walk away, while one takes years to recover with permanent complications.

A sky dive who's chute did not open correctly with over 100 breaks and fractures looking at a full recovery. While another guy feel if a ladder and was looking at the rest of his life on assisted living.

Damage can be incredibly fickle and unfair.

Freemage
Veteran

#10 Postby Freemage » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:21 am

ZenFox42 wrote:Me too, except for the bit about *re-rolling* damage to the crew. Since it's the robot that's being damaged, I'd think that it's *that* damage that would be affecting the crew as well, minus what's absorbed by the robot's Armor...

High damage to bot; low damage to crew: the shot hits a critical system inside the bot (in the example case, maybe it actually nicks one of the alchemical symbols animating the armor), but only grazes the guy inside.

Low damage to bot, high damage to crew: the shot passes through a weak point in the armor, meaning it only damages a spot that's already easy to punch through, but then hits the occupant's kidney.

loconius
Novice

#11 Postby loconius » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:59 pm

Answering the size of the robot question: the player playing the robot is basically a powered armor suit that can ambulate without a person inside. When he is "empty" we just use his character sheet which is a size two robot. When he permits someone to operate him as a suit is where I'm kinda at an impass on what to do.

Using the walker rules instead of the powered armor rules (with a house ruled super small mech) might be more inline with what the player wanted, he wanted to be able to completely shield the target from damage, and the vehicle crew hit might model that better then simply giving the occupant a toughness bonus...

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”