[SPC] God-like character bestowing his Powers to his angels/worshippers/minions

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Lord Lance
Heroic

[SPC] God-like character bestowing his Powers to his angels/worshippers/minions

#1 Postby Lord Lance » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:08 am

Ola, community. Asking for advices/opinions. I'll probably have some (superpowered) characters, sort of Divinities of a particular aspect (War, Death, Life etc.). Each divinity have specific powers (pretty obviously, war has war-like powers, death has death-related powers, life has restorative/protection ones etc.).
Now the question: how can I easily come with a power that let those Divinities to bestow one of their angels/worshippers/minions with one of their Aspect-related power?
I searched for, in the forum, but I found few advices.
The power should:
- give one (or more) points to the recipient. Those points are used to build a power similar to those that the Divinity has. Ie. If the God of War has Attack, Melee at lvl.10, probably the worshipper will receive X points that he will use to buy a lesser level in Attack, Melee.
- the recipient should use it as the Divinity does (he can't exceed the campaign max level for a single power, but probably this will be a rare occasion, 'cause the powers are bestowed to very-low/no powered "minions").
- the Divinity should not lose its powers while bestowing.

I read about using CopyCat, or reversing Negation, or use some kind of Sorcery or Invent variation. Still, I'm not happy with those.
Then I thought:"Ehi, look at that Duplication power!". Men, it's a 3xlvl cost. Let's say I invest 3 points. I got a "clone" of the Divinity. The clone has the same skills, the same powers (and the same levels!). Ok, it's an Extra. But what about do not gaining a clone, but instead copy/pasting the powers to another character? Probably this character will be an extra anyway. Also, probably he'll have inferior stats/skills. Finally, he's loyal, but he isn't under total control like a clone could.
So... why not?

I could state that if the recipient is wounded, he lose the "connection" with the divine powers (emulating the standard Duplication ruling). Or I could limit the bestowing to a single scene, instead of linking to the wounds. Or, letting the recipient to do a free Spirit roll (or Faith roll) if shaken/wounded, to keep his faith strong, and retaining the powers, putting no time limits.
Of course, the Divinity can remove the blessing from a recipient in any moment, so he can "transfer" it to another one.
"Balance is the key, Trapping is the word." - - Lord Lance

Proud creator of the SAVAGE FREE BESTIARY

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: [SPC] God-like character bestowing his Powers to his angels/worshippers/minions

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:26 am

The Minions power allows this; an inducted Minion can be granted powers, up the to maximum number of empowered minions the character paid for.

For NPCs doing this, you can just give them a unique special ability that's basically the Minions power at Plot Device ranks, with the Super Powers bonus, and work up what those super powers should be for the thematic ability being granted. Now they have as many loyal super minions as the plot requires and their recruitment abilities allow.

For a player ability, they need to pay for it. Super Minions can be versatile, capable, and wildly effective. I've had an Extra with powers that regularly upstaged player characters in multiple combats and was still beloved by the players. Being an Extra doesn't make having super powers any less awesome.

Good luck!
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Lord Lance
Heroic

Re: [SPC] God-like character bestowing his Powers to his angels/worshippers/minions

#3 Postby Lord Lance » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:22 am

ValhallaGH wrote:The Minions power allows this; an inducted Minion can be granted powers, up the to maximum number of empowered minions the character paid for.

Yeah, but I'm avoiding that path, 'cause the Divinities don't bestow their powers just to their (few/no) personal minions. They choose to do that to not-controlled characters, like friendly extras (petitioning worshippers, allied angels, etc.). I'd like to get a power (sort of "Boost") to empower a perfect stranger, even if the Divinity has no invested on "personal" minions.

ValhallaGH wrote:For a player ability, they need to pay for it... I've had an Extra with powers that regularly upstaged player characters in multiple combats and was still beloved by the players.

Well, I can understand that. Still, in a campaign with PCs around max 50 - 60 PPs (the ceiling I'm hypothesizing for my campaign), even a single Minion with - let's say - 8 PPs (total 10 PPs), it's a very big deal for the character (about 1/5 of his PPs goes into that Minion, and with 8 PPs, AND looking at the starting stats of the Minion, you probably can't do serious things). A Sidekick probably could serve you better. Sure, for the Minion power the things go better if you buy multiple minions (at least 4 - 5 I think), then it could becomes cost-effective, but it's not the vision I had for the ability I was thinking of, as I wrote before.
Last edited by Lord Lance on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Freemage
Veteran

#4 Postby Freemage » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:32 am

Lord Lance wrote:
ValhallaGH wrote:The Minions power allows this; an inducted Minion can be granted powers, up the to maximum number of empowered minions the character paid for.

Yeah, but I'm avoiding that path, 'cause the Divinities don't bestow their powers just to their (few/no) personal minions. They choose to do that to not-controlled characters, like friendly extras (petitioning worshippers, allied angels, etc.). I'd like to get a power (sort of "Boost") to empower a perfect stranger, even if the Divinity has no invested on "personal" minions.

Still sounds like a variation on Summoned Minions to me--you're just 'summoning' the power-set on whoever is available. The base cost isn't the number of minions they have; it's the number of people they can empower at a single time. So cost is 2/target, +4 for Summoning, +X for the power-set that they can imbue. -1 or -2 Limitation for the fact that the power-set is limited to those other powers the Divinity possesses (I'm still new to gauging Limitations).

dentris
Veteran

#5 Postby dentris » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:48 am

Just throwing ideas without my book, so I'm not sure about the finer points of all the powers. It probably don't work as written, but I still post it for brainstorming

Possession, Intangibility and Duplication.

Create two power sets (with the Switchable modifier), one for the God itself, and a lesser one for the ''chosen (adding Possession and Intangibility to make up for the difference and a Duplicates only Limitation at -1)

The God is able to create immaterial spirits able to possess worthy followers and bestow them his gifts. It has the added advantage of being able to possess enemies as well, turning them to your side for a moment. I don't remember if Possession allow you to use your own powers, or if it is posible to use it on a willing character at no penalty. Like I said, it's from memory and probably needs a lot of fine-tuning
But the Voice consoles me and it says: "Keep your dreams;
Wise men do not have such beautiful ones as fools!"
--Baudelaire, Les Fleurs du Mal, 1857, Translated by William Aggeler, 1954

Lord Lance
Heroic

#6 Postby Lord Lance » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:32 am

:D Well, that was a funny, clever way to try to help. Thanks. However, probably I still feel it overcomplicate: also, intangible characters can't do anything for affect the "material" world. Yeah, you could have a Duplicate of the God, that can become intangible AND phasing (so he can turn material, then possess the "chosen")... but I see a huge waste of PPs, probably going overboard.

I dunno. Another (more pricey) way could simply be: the Divinity can keep X PPs aside. Then he can simply give those PPs (1/1 rate), to another character that he's touching (or something like that). This is something similar to the Minions "Super Power" modifier... with minions not included :lol: - so,instead to have a fixed minion with your themed super powers, you bestow those powers to the worshipper of the day. Still, I keep thinking that this thing is too pricey.
Men, I could also put some kind of "switchable" modifier, so for a small price the Divinity could use almost all those "stored" PPs, until he needs to give them to a worshipper... :?

But... Damn... Returning to my initial idea: with the basic 3 PPs Duplication I could say to my worshipper:"Ehi, hallo, worshipper. Here's for you a clone of myself, with all my powers, that come around with you, and do what you want, until it's destroyed or until I'm bored and I want it back". So now I have a worshipper that can do his standard actions, and goes around with a clone of of the god, that does his actions too, and use all the powers.
Why to not simply Trapping it as "the clone is... inside the worshipper", and we are done with that? You have less impact (less "actions") in the game, and, ok, on the roleplaying side you miss the possible "shock effect" of having the worshipper walking aside an "Avatar" of a god (while this thing could be negative as positive alike, depending on the situation...)
EDIT: I know, I know, I keep saying to myself "Ehi, 3 PPs, it seems a cheat..." Still...

Myrmicus
Novice

#7 Postby Myrmicus » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:17 am

What I would do :
(3) Sidekick, Limitation -X (Bestowing powers)
Build the powers as you would for a sidekick, but the character has no sidekick per say. Instead, he bestow those powers to someone... who may or may not be a friend.
Make it a limitation -2 if the godlike character can't take the powers back to bestow them to someone else (potentially creating a powerful ennemy) unless the "herald" dies. Make it -1 if the godlike character can take the powers back anytime he wants.

For a 60PP character, this allows him to bestow no less than 40PPs.

dentris
Veteran

#8 Postby dentris » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:46 am

Lord Lance wrote::D Well, that was a funny, clever way to try to help. Thanks. However, probably I still feel it overcomplicate: also, intangible characters can't do anything for affect the "material" world. Yeah, you could have a Duplicate of the God, that can become intangible AND phasing (so he can turn material, then possess the "chosen")... but I see a huge waste of PPs, probably going overboard.

I dunno. Another (more pricey) way could simply be: the Divinity can keep X PPs aside. Then he can simply give those PPs (1/1 rate), to another character that he's touching (or something like that). This is something similar to the Minions "Super Power" modifier... with minions not included :lol: - so,instead to have a fixed minion with your themed super powers, you bestow those powers to the worshipper of the day. Still, I keep thinking that this thing is too pricey.
Men, I could also put some kind of "switchable" modifier, so for a small price the Divinity could use almost all those "stored" PPs, until he needs to give them to a worshipper... :?

If you go that route, I would put a restriction on who can receive these powers. Only extras or non-supers because stacking two sets of super powers is broken.

Lord Lance wrote:But... Damn... Returning to my initial idea: with the basic 3 PPs Duplication I could say to my worshipper:"Ehi, hallo, worshipper. Here's for you a clone of myself, with all my powers, that come around with you, and do what you want, until it's destroyed or until I'm bored and I want it back". So now I have a worshipper that can do his standard actions, and goes around with a clone of of the god, that does his actions too, and use all the powers.
Why to not simply Trapping it as "the clone is... inside the worshipper", and we are done with that? You have less impact (less "actions") in the game, and, ok, on the roleplaying side you miss the possible "shock effect" of having the worshipper walking aside an "Avatar" of a god (while this thing could be negative as positive alike, depending on the situation...)
EDIT: I know, I know, I keep saying to myself "Ehi, 3 PPs, it seems a cheat..." Still...

It could be conceived as a Duplication limitation (Dupes replace an allied Extra present, -1) I would definitively use Switchable to have one set of power for the God and the other sets for the Dupes.
But the Voice consoles me and it says: "Keep your dreams;

Wise men do not have such beautiful ones as fools!"

--Baudelaire, Les Fleurs du Mal, 1857, Translated by William Aggeler, 1954

SteelDraco
Seasoned

#9 Postby SteelDraco » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:43 pm

So what do you mean by god-like? To me that phrase suggests "I don't need to write this guy up with stats". Just say "He can grant X Power Points to his worshippers with his semi-divine, nearly cosmic powers."

If you want some kind of power for it, maybe something like...

Empower (2/level)
You can invest your power in those who have sworn service to you, granting them a lesser version of your own powers. Each level of this power allows you to invest one target with your powers. Establishing this bond requires a bonding process - a ritual, medical process, or appropriate trappings - that takes 2d6 hours with both you and the target. This bond allows you to sense their location (direction and distance) as well as general mood and health. You gain a +2 bonus on all rolls to affect someone that you have Empowered. You can revoke this power at any time; doing so leaves your former servant shaken.
Super Powers (Variable): Each power point invested in this modifier grants one power point to each Empowered ally. These may be spent on super powers as usual.

This is basically just a variation on Minions; I do think that's the best framework for what you want. That would allow you to write up your Apocalypse-like character that grants power to his servants. Give him TBTI and a bunch of points invested in this, and then write up the "power set" that he grants. It's fairly expensive, but it's also absurdly powerful - note that there's no limitations on who he can grant powers to, so in theory he could give powers to people who already have them. If you allow it (I wouldn't) expect it to break the heck out of things, especially if you allow them to increase the PP invested in existing powers. That makes sense for something like Apocalypse, where the Empower was essentially "Alright, you were Street Fighter level before, go ahead and upgrade your powers to Four Color level now that you've signed on with the bad guys."

Lord Lance
Heroic

#10 Postby Lord Lance » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:31 am

SteelDraco wrote:So what do you mean by god-like? To me that phrase suggests "I don't need to write this guy up with stats".

No, no, that wasn't my intention. I really wanted some kind of mechanic / power to manage that kind of ability (indeed, similar to the Apocalypse's one). Your proposed one is pretty interesting, as the others' one proposed before.
Really interesting food for the mind, here. I need to ponder over this stuff.
Thanks.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#11 Postby ValhallaGH » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:37 pm

Assuming you're referencing the recent film X Men: Age of Apocalypse, the titular character's ability to enhance existing powers was a plot device that would, in Savage Worlds Super Powers Companion terms, have raised the characters a power level (Street to Four Color or Four Color to Heavy Hitter). This would increase the available Power Points and Power Limits substantially; combine that with someone already being The Best There Is at a given power and the results are ... impressive.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”