[SPC2] Armor with wounds, ala vehicle rules, and locked Super Attributes

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

DoctorBoson
Seasoned

[SPC2] Armor with wounds, ala vehicle rules, and locked Super Attributes

#1 Postby DoctorBoson » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:53 pm

I like the idea of having a Power Armor super, who's Armor acts as a Vehicle rather than as a suit (similar to the mech rules from SPC2). Much of this is very simple (growth, super strength, toughness etc. contingent on the armor device), but I'm not sure how to make the Armor itself take wounds and am trying to brainstorm a solution.

I figure, off the cuff, having a "vehicle" modifier on armor might cost 4 points, granting the device 3 wounds (its Toughness is the same as the character's with the device on), subjecting the user to wound penalties while inside the vehicle as usual and subjecting the suit to the Critical Hits table (or a modified version thereof for supers). These wounds would be repaired the same way constructs are: 1d6 hours of work and penalties for lack of tools and/or spare parts, and are not affected by the healing skill or power or Natural Healing. This also allows for more accurate builds of things like mech suits, where the pilot can eject and continue to operate if the suit itself gets trashed.

My second idea: a modifier for Super Attributes that only increases Attributes to a set level. This is similar to the Matter Control/Telekinesis/Force Control powers for Strength: instead of increasing the character's Attribute, it starts the character's Attribute at a d10 and every level increases it from there, but it cannot be raised thereafter without spending more Power Points. Using Strength as an example—since we have a direct analogue in the aforementioned powers—the base cost is identical (2 PP/Level), but the established powers also all grant the benefit of using the Strength at a range of 12", with the downside of typically not being able to use it to resist effects (like the Push maneuver). Additionally, those powers also grant additional bonuses, like Matter Control's barriers and Telekinesis' large numbers of potential targets. By that logic, a "Locked" modifier might actually be a –1 or –2: a short term benefit that cannot be increased later on, without the usual benefits granted by the existing analogue powers.

Thoughts on any of this?
Last edited by DoctorBoson on Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want to see a character Savaged? Take a look here or make a request! (Featuring Percy de Rolo III!)

DC and Marvel film characters are available as well (Featuring Deadshot and Iron Fist!)

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: [SPC2] Armor with wounds, ala vehicle rules

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:01 pm

Sidekick.
That's all my thoughts on the subject.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

DoctorBoson
Seasoned

Re: [SPC2] Armor with wounds, ala vehicle rules

#3 Postby DoctorBoson » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:11 pm

ValhallaGH wrote:Sidekick.
That's all my thoughts on the subject.

This may work for an automated assistant kind-of-thing, but it significantly decreases the Power capabilities of the armor. Additionally, it means that there's no benefit to a character not being in the Armor since the "pilot's" Skills don't affect the performance of the "vehicle" at all.
Want to see a character Savaged? Take a look here or make a request! (Featuring Percy de Rolo III!)

DC and Marvel film characters are available as well (Featuring Deadshot and Iron Fist!)

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: [SPC2] Armor with wounds, ala vehicle rules, and locked Super Attributes

#4 Postby ValhallaGH » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:15 pm

Cooperative rolls are a thing. Like the EVA, a decent pilot makes the vehicle better.

It's not perfect.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”