[Fantasy] Setting Rules & a Couple Edges

Discussion of products from third-party companies licensed to produce SW products. Company specific threads should be marked with their name in brackets.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Ndreare
Veteran

[Fantasy] Setting Rules & a Couple Edges

#1 Postby Ndreare » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:35 pm

For our upcoming Savage Worlds high fantasy game we are using the rules and setting of Shaintar: Legends Arise with some minor tweaks. I figured I would share them here.

Setting Rules
In order to Capture the most out of the concept of Epic Fantasy we will be using all of the Shaintar rules and edges. With the following additions.
Attributes Matter: Skills may not start above the linked attribute at Novice rank. Wild Cards roll the skill’s linked attribute for their Wild Die. The Edges; Professional, Expert, & Master are all replaced with the Edge Savant. This is a setting rule I have universally been using with all my home groups for a while now.
Competent By Nature: Players (and the GM) may generally choose to accept ½ their character's die instead of rolling outside of combat or dramatic tasks.
Extra-Time Bonus: Characters may receive a +1 per x5 amount of time used when performing a skill to a maximum of +4 if appropriate to the situation.
Improvised Casting: Characters with an arcane background, Knowledge Arcane d6, and an Arcane skill at d6 may attempt spells they do not know by using the lower of their Knowledge: Arcane or their Arcane skill. An Improvised power cost double the listed essence and is used with a casting penalty of twice the listed essence cost of the power. This is a setting rule I have universally been using with all my home groups for a while now.
Non-living Targets: Damage dice do not explode versus most animated objects such as Constructs, and Elementals. This is a setting rule I have universally been using with all my home groups for a while now.
Power Effects: Boost/Lower trait can only stack to a maximum total equal to the raise effect.
Power Ranges: Arcane powers with range have their default range replaced with Notice inches and x2 for medium range, x4 for long range, and x8 for extreme range. Bolt receives a +2 to this value.

New Edges
Charmer (Edge)
Requirements: Charisma
This edge is a re-trapping of Very Attractive and does not stack with Very Attractive. The character’s charisma is raised an additional +2.
Disciplined (Edge)
Requirements: d8 Skill in the Specific Skill or Power affected
The character has disciplined herself such that he may use a single skill specialization reliably and may choose a result equal to 1+1/2 her die before rolling. This edge may be selected multiple times, however each time selected it applies to a different skill or power/trapping combination. If this edge is applied to a power the edge applies to a single power and trapping combination each time selected. (See SWD Setting rules for example skill specializations.)
Improved Improvised Caster (Edge)
Requirements: Knowledge Arcane d10, and an Arcane skill at d10
The penalty for casting unknown powers is reduced to 1 times the Power Point cost.
Renaissance Man (Edge)
Requirements: Jack of All Trades, and a minimum of 7 skills.
The character’s is a true polymath and his studies have gone to the next level. The character has all skills starting at d4 and only experiences the -2 penalty for lack of familiarity in the most alien or extreme situations.
Limitation: If this edge is taken at character creation, the character starts with 10 skill points instead of 15. If this edge is taken with advances the character does not receive back the skill points already spent on skills.
Ritual Preparation(Edge)
Requirements: Background. This edge can be taken multiple times. (See Shaintar: Legends Unleashed)
The character has been prepared to receive a permanent ritual effect. A single permanent ritual may be used on the character without the caster paying the Permanent Essence cost.
Ritual Imprint(Edge)
Requirements: Background. This edge can be taken multiple times. (See Shaintar: Legends Unleashed)
The character has received a permanent ritual effect. The character has received a permanent ritual effect. This edge may be taken multiple times, taking this edge a second time allows the character to benefit from the Raise effect of a spell or benefit from another spell effect.
A character may only take this edge a number of times equal to half of the character's Spirit or Vigor whichever is less without side effects. Each additional Ritual received after this number begins to strain the character's soul and inflict 1 permanent level of fatigue on the character.
Savant (Edge)
Requirements: Affected Skill equal to or higher than linked Attribute
The character is naturally gifted in an area more than would be expected for someone of like Attribute. The character gains +1 to the selected skill rolls. This edge may be taken once per Rank.

Economics
I will use the economics from Fantasy Hero 6th edition by Steven S Long as a guide for what things cost or are worth if it matters.
For flavor and general guidelines, an Imperial coin weighs about twice the weight of a U.S. quarter dollar at 0.4 ounces. There are about 40 coins to a pound.
Copper Coin = equal to 1 Gold value
Silver Coin = equal to 10 Gold value
Gold Coin = equal to 100 Gold value
Crowns = A large bar worth about 30 coins
Marks = a small bar worth about 5 coins
One Dose of Mage Essence = 300 Gold weighing ½ ounce plus the weight of the container totaling about 1 ounce per dose.

Air Ships & Helms
Within the setting many nations have ships fueled by magical powers. These ships are generally rare and expensive as the services of mages to operate and maintain them are themselves expensive.
Common Helm Abilities
Astral Shift: A magic user may cast the Banishment spell into the control crystal allowing the ship to enter or leave the astral plane. Once inside the astral plain the ship’s maximum altitude becomes infinite because within the astral realm gravity is relative to perception. The essence cost to cast Banishment is multiplied by the Size of the vessel.
Climb/Handling: Climbing is an abstract measurement of a ship’s maneuverability. The default climb or maneuverability of an Air Ship while in the air is -1 per 2 steps on the size table above 0, rounded up.
Control Crystal: Installing an Air Ship Helm requires installing a control crystal and the working infrastructure as well as removing mass from the ship. To make room for all this additional equipment the ship loses 25% of its cargo capacity (rounded normally) and suffers -2 to Toughness.
Efficiency: Helms come in different qualities and strength. A Helms efficiency reduces the casters casting penalties by the efficiency rating. The base efficiency of all ships is 0.
Flight: A magic user may cast the Fly spell into the control crystal allowing the ship to levitate. Once cast the ship is imbued with the ability to move straight up or down for as long as the Caster can maintain concentration (normally Vigor in hours if the character does not become shaken). The maximum altitude of an Air Ship is generally 500’ per Helm Class. However Military grade helms and other unique models can have different altitudes. The essence cost to cast Fly is multiplied by the Size of the vessel.
Size: A ships size/2 rounded up applies as a penalty to all spells cast into the Helm. For example, a ship with a Size of 7 suffers -4 to all spells cast into the helm.
Class I Helms
Often installed in smaller runabouts or private ships. Maximum Altitude ~500’, provides plus 1 to divide between Climb/Handling, Acceleration, Top Speed or Helm Efficiency. Class one helms increase ships cost by 50%
Class 2 Helms
Often installed in smaller runabouts or private ships. Maximum Altitude ~1,000’, provides plus 2 to divide between Climb/Handling, Acceleration, Top Speed or Helm Efficiency. Class two helms increase ships cost by 100%
Class 3 Helms
Often installed in smaller military ships or mass produced military vessels. Maximum Altitude ~1,500’, provides plus 3 to divide between Climb/Handling, Acceleration, Top Speed or Helm Efficiency. Class three helms increase ships cost by 200%
Class 4 Helms
Often installed in major or significant military vessels. Maximum Altitude ~2,000’, provides plus 4 to divide between Climb/Handling, Acceleration, Top Speed or Helm Efficiency. Class four helms increase ships cost by 400%
Class 5 Helms
Often installed in flag ships or the personal yachts of the ultra-wealthy. Maximum Altitude ~2,500’, provides plus 5 to divide between Climb/Handling, Acceleration, Top Speed or Helm Efficiency. Class four helms increase ships cost by 1,000%

[Edited to remove unnecessary rule covered already in Shaintar epic destiny edge]
Last edited by Ndreare on Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freemage
Veteran

Re: [Fantasy] Setting Rules & a Couple Edges

#2 Postby Freemage » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:08 am

I'm curious about the in-game justification for excluding sentient undead (if I read it right) from Unliving Targets. The same physiological changes would seem to apply to them as to zombies, flesh golems, etc.

Ndreare
Veteran

#3 Postby Ndreare » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:28 am

Freemage wrote:I'm curious about the in-game justification for excluding sentient undead (if I read it right) from Unliving Targets. The same physiological changes would seem to apply to them as to zombies, flesh golems, etc.

This was mostly just a game balance issue. So far all the Sentient undead in the one shots we played in preparation for this have been wild cards. The inability to explode on them made then nigh-invulnerable.

Ndreare
Veteran

#4 Postby Ndreare » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:04 pm

After rereading Shaintar I realised Epic Destiny already covered the effect I was going for on one setting rule.
Also removed undead from the exploding dice exemption.

Return to “SW Licensees”