[ETU] East Texas University School Colors?

Information and comments on all Pinnacle original Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [NE] for Necessary Evil, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below as do licensed settings.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

DHRDawg
Veteran

[ETU] East Texas University School Colors?

#1 Postby DHRDawg » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:57 am

I picked up my Kickstarter minis from Jodi at Gencon and I want to get to painting them right away and wanted to theme them with the school colors for ETU. Especially the cheerleader and Letterman Jacket.

What are the official school colors?

Prest0
Seasoned

#2 Postby Prest0 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:12 am

The school colors are inspired by the Texas flag-- red, white, and blue. The primary colors are blue and white, with red as an accent color.

It does get a bit tricky since the mascot is a black raven. They sometimes substitute black rather than dark blue. Basically they go with whatever combination looks good. :)
Preston P. DuBose
12 to Midnight

Enroll today at East Texas University.

VonDan
Legendary

#3 Postby VonDan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:15 am

Prest0 wrote:The school colors are inspired by the Texas flag-- red, white, and blue. The primary colors are blue and white, with red as an accent color.

It does get a bit tricky since the mascot is a black raven. They sometimes substitute black rather than dark blue. Basically they go with whatever combination looks good. :)

Standard manufacture for a Letterman jacket is that the sleeves are usely white leather and then the body is the colored wool, the accent color is often the stripes on the cuff and collar elastic and the trim on the letter patch on fount and the back patch

Blue wool Body, White Leather Sleeves, Either white or red strips on the cuffs and then the Letters ETU in black with a red outline and the Raven in Black with a Red Outline and eyes

Von "Lettered in Video" Dan

dllw32
Novice

#4 Postby dllw32 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:54 pm

But in the fight song in the "Sweat Lodge" adventure, it reads:

Ravens Fiiiiight
Put on the black and whiiiite

Wouldn't the colors be black and white? And the cheerleader and jock images are closer to black and white to my eye. If it's blue it's not the blue from the Texas flag which is more of a royal blue than a navy blue.

Jackson
Veteran

#5 Postby Jackson » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:58 pm

Great catch DLW32....No Prize awarded. So here is the semi-official answer....back when the song was written the colors were indeed black and white, but with the massive renovations in the late 1970s, they adopted the Red, White, and Blue. However, once a year, for the big Homecoming game (the weekend before Halloween), the team dons the black and white!

;)

Ed
Keep it coming...

East Texas University....enroll for the Fall Semester Now!

Prest0
Seasoned

#6 Postby Prest0 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:26 pm

Ed's right. Here's the full explanation.

Remember up until the '80s the school was called South East Texas Institute. Unfortunately the 70's were kind of a crazy time, even in rural East Texas. The school developed a reputation as THE party school in Texas, in part because it was so far from watchful eyes compared to more metropolitan areas. Eventually the state legislature stepped in and replaced the president. Among the other reforms was a name change to distance the school from its bad reputation. When the name was changed to ETU, the school colors were changed from black and white to the colors of the Texas flag-- blue, white, and red.

Notice that the fight song talks about the Raven mascot, but never the name of the school. The fight song pre-dates the name change to ETU but students voted to keep the fight song as a reminder of the school's heritage. A lot of alumni (donors) were unhappy with the name change too, so keeping the song was an attempt at appeasement as well.

That's the story behind why the fight song calls for black and white, but the colors today are blue, white, and red... and as Ed explained why you also still see black and white occasionally on the football field and around campus.
Preston P. DuBose

12 to Midnight

DHRDawg
Veteran

#7 Postby DHRDawg » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:32 pm

That some pretty cool back story guys. ;)

ghostman
Novice

Re: [ETU] East Texas University School Colors?

#8 Postby ghostman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:05 am

does anyone have the official tune that the fight song is sung to? Our group is singing the song quite frequently and change it each time.
Ghostman

Prest0
Seasoned

Re: [ETU] East Texas University School Colors?

#9 Postby Prest0 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:45 pm

Even though I've had the tune in my head ever since I wrote the lyrics, to the best of my knowledge it has never actually been put to music beyond our a capella performances at game tables. Ed posted a video on Facebook of a table singing the song at OwlCon last month. I'll try to run a group through the tune a few times at ChupacabraCon and get a good "official" recording.
Preston P. DuBose

12 to Midnight

Return to “SW Pinnacle Original Settings & Companions”