[50F] Arnon's 50 Fathoms Game - Journal & Discussion

Information and comments on all Pinnacle original Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [NE] for Necessary Evil, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below as do licensed settings.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

arnon
Seasoned

#21 Postby arnon » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:35 pm

Back-to-back sessions! (meaning i was lazy at writing and posting)

Two more session or our 50 Fathoms game. "Summer" is tough to get games going due to many vacations taken by everybody.

Spoiler ahead for players... yea be warned!

====================================
Chapter 14
The crew stayed in the Flumes for 4 more days to collect more gold and with luck had no more encounters. After that they made their way down to Baltimus.

One night on the way south fog rouse all around the ship and then they spotted a strange greenish light in the distance. They set sail but the light followed and gained on them; once it was close enough they saw it was a ship, more specifically the cursed Flying Dutchman. They shivered and gulped, and the silent ship sailed on past them… the very next day Calas Carth slipped near one of the canons and broke his neck. Bad luck that.

In Baltimus they hired some more crew and made way to Bristo in order to search for the rumored lost treasure from the Haybarn map. Most of the crew stayed on board and the party went to shore. Three days walk got them to the area. While some of them searched the abandoned house and dug under the stone-marker, Sphene climbed atop the house the looked around. He noticed two other interesting features: a clean patch of land, and a lightning struck tree. They dug around the patch of land for a couple of hours and found a small chest with a measly 200 pieces-of-eight. They were tired but went to look at the tree as well, searching for clues as to where the treasure might be, but found none. Dispirited they went to the house, for the evening, building a fire and have a swell feast (on trail rations). The fire attracted the local family of monkapes which came over as soon as the noise quieted down. The monkapes were spotted and the party managed to kill them all or chase them away.

Next day they again search around the tree but found no clues, regardless, Shirelene insisted they dig under the tree… and so they did… for several hours… till they found a skeleton which cursed them when he was touched. But it’s sword was looking brand new and the chest it was on was filled with treasure… and a strange golden triangle (that’s two they have now).

Loaded with clinking treasure they went back to Bristo, and sailed their ship to Bluth’s Crown to give the mages there the gold they gather (and take some money and flying potions. Then, with enough to buy a new ship they headed to Baltimus again. On the way there they again were halted for inspection by Admiral Duckworth, only this time they had Kirian aboard, who formerly worked for the admiral. “For some reason” the admiral wasn’t all to thrilled to see Kirian, and was rather curt with him, asking him several times to “stop talking for Christ’s sake”. While he doesn’t like Killian he knows him well enough to forgo the search of this ship. The crew also tried to tell the admiral about the raising sea level, but he told them he never heard of it and that he has more pressing things to do.

a couple of days after Duckworth, a storm brew up and the ship of Redbeared Ruffus came riding at the crew. Killian managed some nice boating during this storm but Redbeared is no slouch, and managed to get the rotting galleon close enough to the skieff for five zombie pirates to jump and attack, while Redbeared shouted to his crew to get what’s his, and as he leaned over to look at what’s going on the crew spotted a golden triangle dangling from a chain around his neck. The battle was short, with Shirlene shooting three bolts and taking out three zombies. Others were attacked as well and there was fear for Equias as a zombie landed a great hit upon him but he survived. After the short battle, Killian managed to get them out of the storm and headed to Baltimus.

====================================
Chapter 15
In Baltimus they found a ship they wanted but could not find a buyer for their own skieff. Meanwhile Sphene went to the local “post office” in order to send a letter home and check if he got anything since last time. A letter was waiting from his sister, calling him home as their father is very sick. It was from a month ago.

The crew, ever sympathetic, offer to get him to Maroa and leave him to his business while they return to Baltimus and continue looking for a buyer. The trip was uneventful, and they dropped Sphene 4 days later and cast off later that same day.

Sphene got home to find his father recuperating but his mother in distress. Apparently his younger sister (a member of the Watch) disappeared several days ago; while two of her friends disappeared a day or so later. Some poking around and going to speak with her commander in the Watch, Sphene found that the talk is she went for some hunting during her shift (not like her) and was swallowed up by some strange monster… at least that’s what some human from Low Town says. Sphene was not happy with how the Watch handled the business, but was told he no longer has a say in anything since he left them. For the next week Sphene scouted the area, asked anyone who might have seen anything (both from Low Town and the Atani in Maroa). He even found Crass, the human who supposedly saw what happened. Crass was sympathetic and even took him out to the area, but could help no further. Sphene scouted the area for several days and found nothing. He did notice some humans and masquani sporting red rashes and coughing more and more each day…

The crew came back nine days later, to find Sphene in a morouse state. They went one day to help him search but found nothing. But things were heating up. As he went back towards the gates to Maroa there was a small congregation of the Low Town inhabitants demanding the Atani give them their medicine, some ever claiming the atani gave them this diseases which spread among them. None of the crew recognized the illness, but asking around, some human said they had it on earth, called it the measles. Sphene asked around in the atani village but even the herbalist knew nothing nor could he help… he never dealt with humans or masquani.

By noon the next day the congregation at the gate was bigger, and some people threw bottles at the guards. The gates were closed and the atani retreated, not wanting things to escalate. The crew remained on their ship, while Sphene went home to rest. But they were all woken up in the night by a loud explosion and one of the great atani tree’s falling. Somebody blew it up. At the same moment the gates were stormed by a mob of mostly humans and masquani. The atani retaliated, shooting fire-bombs and arrows at the mob. The crew went to see what’s happening and tried to calm things down with no success. Sphene went to see what he can do to help and he was sent to the back of the village to keep an eye on things there. The crew decided to imbed the flying potions they got from the mages in Bluth’s Crown and flew straight up to the branches of the trees. They told the first guard they saw they were friends of Sphene and want to help, so the guard directed them to Sphene.

They came to find him badly outnumbered, almost three to one, by a band of humans and masquani led by Crass...
===========================

GM Notes:

1) I cut some corners in the gold searching at the Flumes, i could not draw any face cards for encounters and decided to cut it short.

2) The treasure hunt was... i don't know. The crew kept thinking "there must be a clue somewhere". A fallen tree might point at the treasure, or stuff like that. The fact that someone would hide his treasure without leaving clues was a mystery to them, they almost returned empty handed, but for Shirlene demanding they dig around the tree...

3) I took advantage of Sphene's letter sending (they player mentions it from time to time) to draw them into the Maroa Savage Tales. That, along with the fact that he didn't give me much background info... so i merged the Savage Tale into his background and made some of it on the spot. His sister is the one killed (Devourer savage tale) and while heading to the watch the player said "i never liked her commander), so i though "Great, now he is a former guard who left and people resent him for that".

4) I didn't expect the party to leave Maroa so soon after dropping Spehen, i was hoping he'd call on them; but as it turned out most of that part of the game was him playing alone... i cut off to the crew but there was not much meat i could chew on there.

5) The attack on Maroa came with Spehen in the atani village and the crew on the ship. I decided to go ahead with it and see what they'll do. I did not even remember they had 3 flying potions... lucky them.

6) Next session will be in two weeks as i'm going with the wife and kids to Portugal :)

arnon
Seasoned

#22 Postby arnon » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:16 am

Another session of 50 Fathoms... this time with Mass Combat

Spoilers ahead!
===================================
Chapter 16
The battle with Crass and his 28 companions was fierce and short, mainly due to some well placed spells by Shirlene, which leveled the field considerably. Still, 6 of the Atani guards died and some of the crew were wounded by the end. Crass was still alive and Sphene wanted to interrogate him, but they heard a large commotion from the front of the village and while some wanted to get the hell out of there, others couldn’t leave the Atani to this fate. The rushed to see what was happening and found a mob of about 100 humans and masquani fighting with a desperate 60 atani guards. Without thought Killian waded into battle and stayed there most of the time, dropping many of the mob and taking almost no damage; Beck and Sphene helped as they could as well. With the crews help the atani commander managed to repel the invaders and save the atani village.

Some 30 atani died in the battle (Sphene’s mother being one of them)… a great number for a village of about 200! The atani immediately sent out a decree banishing all residents of Below Town from the area, at first giving them 1 day. Killian and Beck tried to avert this decision or at least give the people more time to leave, and after listening to them the atani gave the people 3 days (and later about a month). Killian was especially angry with the atani for punishing all the populace for the doings a mob (Crass confessed he led the mob in order to take over the village for the profit of selling Carroway wood, and also for killing Sphen’s sister when she learned of his plans), but the atani said they cannot take the risk, they are too few. The atani did give the crew a special prize in honor of their help, a Carroway Heart, which will revive a fallen comrade.

After about a week they left Maroa back to Baltimus (with some refugees), managed to sell ther skieff and buy a Brigantine. They made another round trip to gather more refugees from Maroa.
========================================

GM Notes:
1) Mass Combat: Not all the players dug it; and most feared about joining the battle due to the heavy penalty to their rolls (-3 at the start). They didn't like the fact that even with Success or 1 Raise they might receive damage... but that's how it goes. Also the caster didn't understand why he spends 2d6 power point per round of battle. I liked how the combat went, but that's that.

2) I think i punished Sphene too much by killing both his sister and his mother... i just blurted it cause i wanted a personal tragedy for the mass battle, but couldn't take it back later...

3) They don't want to deal with trade any more. I want to think of a way to streamline it, but haven't invested much thought into it.

Cheers,
-arnon

arnon
Seasoned

#23 Postby arnon » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:24 am

The crew braves the Floatsome Sea in our 50 Fathoms campaign.

Lots of role-playing, some combat, and plenty of fun...

===============================
Chapter 17
Back in Balitimus to re-stock and maybe find a good job. Beck is sniffing around searching fora lucrative enough job, and as he walks down one the street he suddenly feels a sharp pain in his shoulder and finds an arrow lodge there. He ducks behind cover, but cannot find the assailant. He rushes back to the ship for Shirelene to heal him and they find a note on the arrow: “Beck, you still didn’t bring me back what’s mine, Adrius”.

Beck told a story of how he was hired by this rich Kieran merchant Adrius to track down his wife and a certain diary she took with her. After some time Beck found the wife but decided not to disclose her location… for a substantial amount of money. Apparently the Adrius believes Beck has the diary and wants it. Beck last saw Adrius when he was hired in New Madrid, and tracked the wife to Kaja. But that was about 6 months ago. They decided to try and track Adrius down in New Madrid, Beck even saying maybe he’ll pay him back the incentive … or just pay him back for hiring someone to hunt him!

New Madrid was just about the same as when last they were there, they even saw a new sign asking for some brave souls to bring another Yellowback from Torath-Ka. But the crew were searching for Adrius. Some snooping around and they found themselves in El Hoyo, were the bartender was reluctant but eventually said that Adrius was here about a month ago and was talking with Elijha, a hired killer, sniped, and trouble-shooter. They asked to leave Elijha a message to which the bartender agreed, but when Killian Kato gave his name to the message some of the sailor who were busy drinking perked up. “Killian Kato, you worked with Duckwoth!” ,”I was arrested because of you!” and so on. They found themselves in a bar brawl with 5 other sailors. Shirlene was trying to keep out of it, but when an older-leery sailor tried to grab at her she blasted him with her hot water bolt and he ran away screaming. The rest of the sailors in the room drew away from her as well.

Leaving Baltimus they then decided to head to Coaker Mountains (to gather Air for the mages in Bluth’s Stone) by going straight through the Floatsome Sea (and thus, also gather Water for the mages). The journey through the Floatsome sea was rather quite.. strange for the area. They came upon a deserted hulk of a ship which they immediately explored. Beck was alone inside the ship when he was suddenly attacked by several octopons. he called for help but managed to hold off rather nicely until the others came and helped him dispatch the rest. The money in the captain’s chest aboard the hulk was a nice compensation. They also came across the ruins of Manor house some 15 yards below sea level which Beck and Equias explored, but they found nothing there.

At the center of the Flotsome, but far enough from the Devil’s Cross, the part gathered water for the mages. Then they started heading out. On they way they spotted a giant octopus coming at them, but they blasted him with their new 8-pounder cannons (good shooting by Sphene) and scared him away. Finally a storm battered at them for almost half a day, but Killian managed to take the ship easily through it without losing anybody or incurring damage to the ship.

They left the Floatsome sea to reach the territorial waters of Keira. They were sailing nea Coaker Mountains when a Keiran Cutter came at them and demanded to know what they are doing there and so close to the Mountains. They confessed to coming out of a storm and going to one of the towns of Keira for trading. Beck offered the captain of the cutter some coffee, but the captain took it as a bribery attempt and immediately order an inspection of the ship demanding all hands on deck. This forced Shirelene (who was below deck) to come out. For once she didn’t smar-off in front of people. Only Killian’s big mouth kept contradicting almost anything she said. The captain of the cutter was disturbed that a small girl should sail on the ship, asked her if she is being molested or forced to work, and after being satisfied with her answer and finding nothing suspicious on the ship, left back to the cutter and continued their route around Coaker Mountains.
===============================

GM Notes:

1. Beck's player never gave me a background story, other than he worked as a bounty hunter for some time. So i took matters into my own hands and decided something is coming to hunt him... At the moment i'm really not sure where all this is leading. Who is Adrius? Why does he want the diary back? Who is Elijha the hired killer?

The player was asking me questions, and some of them i gave him, other i looked at him and said "you tell me why?". He was surprised by the answer but played along and even enjoyed it.
  2. I wanted Killian's reputation as a former privateer to come bite him, and finally got to do it in the El Hoyo bar brawl. It's not the last time this will happen.
  3. Shirelene's player was nervous when the Keiran cutter came at them. Her background has her rightly scared to be identified by Keirans... but it was just a random encounter and the player will be going on vacation for the next 5 weeks, so i decided not to do anything about it... yet
.[/b]

arnon
Seasoned

#24 Postby arnon » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:27 am

Hi all, long time since last update, as we had some holidays here and people missing... we're back for several more 50 Fathoms sessions and then will take a break and get back to a Pathfinder Rise of the Runelords game we started some time back.

(i'll be a player... wish it was in Savage Worlds)

So here goes...
=================
Chapter 18
Under cover of darkness, they managed to evade any patrols and found a small inlet to disembark, with orders for the ship to come every night to see if they are back. They climb up to the top of Coaker Mountain took four days (with Kerrian insisting if they just push harder they could make in one day).

On the way they came face to face with a patrol of five guards which immediately demanded surrender… of course the crew attacked and eliminated them.

After a particularly rough day of climbing a Roc suddenly spotted them and descended for an attack, chasing the crew into a small cave (good rolls and several exploding damage dice by Beck and Shirelene almost killed the tough Roc), in which they were attacked by three giant centipedes. After dealing with the centipedes and resting Beck and Sphene explored the cave deeper, and found there the remains of what appeared to be three escaped prisoners and a broken chain which might indicate there were more...

They finally made it up, “scooped” up some air, and started their way down, which was much faster. Right by the beach the crew heard the voices of two people, Sphene sneaked around and found a human and a Grael sitting behind a boulder, talking softly, their legs chained together. After debating amongst them if to approach or leave them alone the approached. The two did not try to hide that they escaped, of course, the crew was not supposed to be there either so no harm done. The human named himself Xianming (a chinese from Deiking, Little China), and introduced the grael as Gronk. When asked Gronked confessed to doing time for pirating, while Xianming claimed his ship was captured and he was sentenced cause it trafficked opium which he did not know of, of course. The party agreed to give them a lift, but did not promise anything (or rather they promised to throw them off the ship if a Keiran patrol came by). Later on in the journey, Xianming would claim that he had no option of going with the shipment of heroin, as one of the Warlord forced him and his father to it, when Kieran (untrusting) told them they should have resisted anyway, Xianming said they had not choice, his sister was held by the Warlord. Kieran immediatly said they should go and save her from this evil peril.

From Coaker Mountains the crew sailed to Marsels, and then to Bluth’s Crown, where they delivered the final two elementals, and observed the ceremony to heal the Cracks in the Stones.
=================

GM Notes:
1. I gave the crew two climbing challenges, allowing one to climb the cliffs with ropes, tie them, and set it for the others. Then a simple climb check to for each of the crew to climb with a +2 due to the ropes. Success your fine; Failure is -1 Fatigue; Snake Eyes, you need to roll agility to see you do not fall, and then Vigor to see if you gain -1 or -2 fatigue.

2. The two surviving escaped prisoners were not thought of prior to the session, nor did i know who they will be. So as a result i’m not sure what to do with them. Gronk is simpler (at the moment): just a big grael, maybe a bit dim-witted, who used to pirate. The crew is sure they can turn him to do good.

Xiamming is another story. I played him as a smart-mouth, sharp tongued, young man. I’m not really sure if what he told them about his sister held by a warlord is true. Maybe it is, but it’s only part of the story? Is she married to the warlord and he wants revenge or to dispose of the warlord? Something else?

The party will probably go to Deiking next session, and i need to read up about it and find out what Savage Tale i can wave all this mess i made myself...

Any ideas?
thanks,
-arnon

arnon
Seasoned

#25 Postby arnon » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:46 am

Some Trouble in Little China.... who would have figured :-D

Spoilers ahead

=================
Chapter 19
They decided to go to Deiking (Little China) maybe to help Xianming, but at a minimum to give their crew time to vent and relax after more than a month at sea. Meanwhile, Xianming’s story seemed at some points to be less credible, but when they arrived he said he’ll go to shore and try to investigate where is sister his held and if they help fine, if not he’ll do it alone.

The crew wonders around Deiking taking in the sights and sounds (and sometimes opium smell); they laugh a the unarmed combat they see people train in. That evening they sit at the Jade Pagoda for supper and drinks when they are approached by a groups of guards with a Red Dragon motif on their armor. They are asked to come with them, and not wanting any trouble they come along. They are led to a small peasants house somewhere in the city, inside of it on a mat sits an obese (oriental) man. He motions them to sit and introduces himself as Han Pol he claims one of his competitors humiliated him and he wants revenge.. he wants them to bomb his Fireworks Factory in exchange for 4 cargos of gunpowder. He heard about the ship sailing around with a girl-mage and others who were proving tough. The party refuses to do it and promises to remain silent. They get back to their ship to sleep of a well earned hangover.

The next morning they see Xianping has returned to the ship, his fists look bruised “some of the informants were… hard to reach” he says. He’s still unsure where his sister is at. More of his story is dragged out of him: apparently she’s a half sister (common mother, which is dead), and she used to live with her adopting father, the master tattoo maker Lao Wu; Xianping himself used to work for the current Radiant Dragon, Mao Tzu, and was climbing up in the organization when several of the lieutenants took a dislike to it. They planted rumors of disloyalty about him and things heated up; Mao Tzu decided to send him to cool of and when he refused the warlord took his sister as guarantee. Xianping learned only that his sister was handed to one of the lieutenants; he suggested checking with her father, he didn’t want to show his face near the tattoo shop (for fear of it being watched).

At the tattoo parlor, Lao Wu showed them around when they said “forget about that, we are here to help you get your daughter back”. He was at first suspicious but then relieved, and told them basically what Xianping told them (he doesn’t like Xianping very much), but he also knew who has her: Shou Deng, one of the top lieutenants and a top martial artist. Not wanting to cut their crew’s sailing-break short they took the next 5 days to scout around the man’s house, observe guard routine, try to find out rumors or goings on in the house, etc..

Finally on the seventh day they told Lao Wu to wait on their ship and along with Xianping they broke into Shou Deng’s house. They managed to sneak in, and as they entered the house they heard a woman’s shout. They rushed to find Chui Wu (sister and daughter) with a bruise on her face and unconscious on the bed. Shou Deng was standing above her in his elegantly flowing robes, looked at them as if they were insects, took a fighting stance, and invited them over. Sphene and Shirlene shot their arrows and bolts while Xianping, Beck, and Kerian rushed to melee… Shou Deng proved to be a good fighter, but not match to the five determined enemies he faced… and his confidence in his abilities stopped him from calling to his guards to help. Once he was down and party scooped up the unconscious girl, Beck pilfered the bedroom, and Shirelene healed those who needed healing.

They made it out of the compound when someone spotted them… and they ran to their ship. They made it to their ship but signals and alerts were being raised, and as they pulled out of Deiking they noticed a junk coming towards them...

=================
GM Notes:
  • I had no idea what Xianping’s story was going into this session… i don’t like improvising so much, cause I created holes in Xianping’s story which I had to cover with more improv… until i finally settled on something plausible. I don’t mind the looks they gave Xianping’s… it fits his personality
  • The fight with Shou Deng took about five rounds and ended only with a massive exploding 28 damage (5 wounds). Since this was the only fight the whole session i blew through almost all my GM bennies to remove shaken, re-roll, and Soak. When the 5 wounds came i decided to save the bennie for the Incapacitating roll, to have Shou Deng survive the ordeal and come chase after them. What’s better than a bad-ass martial artist nemesis?!?... But then Beck said: “I plant my sword in his head”. No nemesis… oh well.

arnon
Seasoned

#26 Postby arnon » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:28 am

_Off to see the Archmage_

Had a great 50 Fathoms session with no combat, but plenty of rolls and by the end most had no bennies left, as the crew went to see Tressa the Red.

Spoilers ahead

=================
Chapter 21
By Killian‘s skillful ship-mastering skill they managed to avoid the junk which tried to block them from leaving Deiking. They made way to Baltimus and left Lao Wua and his daughter there to find their fortune, while each one got a special tattoo of their choice.

Next stop: Tressa the Red!

The voyage to the Teeth was surprisingly uneventful, and they reached it after about two and a half weeks. They saw the Gullet leading in, and the tower sitting atop a watery geyser 200 yards up in the air, above the mountains which surround it.

Hopefully prepared for the worst, they sail in. The voyage inside the Gullet was nasty, with Killian seemingly finding always the roughest currents, but even though, with good crew-work undress stress, Shirlene’s Becalming spell, and Killian’s steady hands and instincts they managed to sail through. In the middle of the way they even found an wreck which had a well preserved green dolphin figurehead. They made their way to it, dismantled it and fitted it to their own ship. Killian immediately noticed the improved responsiveness of the ship.

Finally out of gullet they then had to find a way to get up to the tower. They had only one fly potion which wouldn’t be enough, and were not sure any of them would be able to swim up the geyser and grab a hold of the rocks before being shot out… Many ideas were considered and discarded. They even tested the geyser by tieing a short rope to Beck (being semi-aquatic) and having him swim in the geyser, the rope was tied to the ship. Very shortly he was shot out of the geyser, sailing over the ship in an arc allowed by the rope. It was Killian who came up with a solution. Beck, again, will take a rope and swim up, but he will take with him the only flying potion they have. Once he reaches the top and be shot out of the geyser, he would drink the potion, fly to the island and tie the rope.

It was not an easy task, but Beck enjoyed himself immensely. He was swept up by the geyser and reached the top fatigued a bit, as he was shot out he managed to drink the potion quickly enough to have enough time to fly to the island. He lowered the rope and waited from Sphene to come, and then they both pulled up Shirlene. In the meanwhile a large parrot came and started berating them, telling them their not welcomed, and generally being insulting. Shirlene came and opened her mouth on the parrot in turn, which amused the parrot a bit. Killian, not a good climber, waited for the other to pull him up, but they were busy in try to reason with the parrot and he had to climb by himself, succeeding amazingly well. By the time he reached the top he heard the parrot say “.. if you go through the door you’ll die horribly!” and flew away into the building. It was Shirlene who opened the door, reasoning they would not hurt a little girl “I’m coming in!” she shouted several times, then opened the door and stepped in. Nothing happened.

Inside the round tower, the comfy living room was large and rectangular. Comfortable sofas, bookshelves, a fireplace and a big map of Caribdus. The parrot was there reciting in a bored voice that they are warned and proceed at their own risk. Then gave them a riddle “touch the key to open the door”. After some consideration they finally touched the location of Azy Cay, and the door opened.

Next was a corridor of fire, with four rows of four tiles, each depicting an animal. After a bad start, they finally figured to step only on the “fire” creatures. Next up was a corridor of water, which they needed to swim to against a strong current, and finally they reached a room where they met Tersse.

Tressa was much nicer than the parrot, and apologized for them having to pass the trials, but it came with the house, and she doesn’t know how to turn it off. They told her about the raising water and she said she knows. There is a leak, she said, between this world and this Earth place, she’s been trying to plug that hole ever since she learned of it. She also told them what she knows and suspects; the gist: need to kill the Sea Hags.

How to do it: need water from another world and know the names of the Hags to bind them to the surface…. “Oh, and as much help as you can get”. Water from another world should be easy enough with all the Earth ships, but the names she doesn’t know. She suggests they find the Tears of Lys, a relic from old which grants visions to those in need. The current owner, she thinks, is a fire mage named: Tomas de Orinjon, a privateer operating in the Gray Isles areas of the Kieran Empire.

They took the mission upon themselves… not sure how to go about this monumental task. They asked for letters from her they could show leaders and important people to sway them to help in the cause, maybe it’ll help… maybe not.
=================

GM Notes:
  • The Gulet Run was tense. By the fourth round they had only 2 successes, which meant they’d need two success and 1 raise at least, and they constantly had to roll with a -6 penalty at least. The green dolphin figurehead helped alot.
  • They truly surprised me with how to get up the geyser. Very cool
  • Had a great time playing Carifax (the annoying parrot). We all had great laughs the whole time.
  • The Fire test: at first they thought they had to step across the tiles as per the elements they already did (water for the gullet, air for the geyser, etc..), but after getting fatigued all around for a bad step they figured it out.
  • They had a hard time with the swimming. Most of them were short on bennies by then, with almost no way to re-roll, even though i let them swim without the -2 penalty.. i missed it at first and didn’t bother correct it.
  • Being “adventurers” they were less daunted by the tasks they need to do, and more concerned with raising a fleet to help them combat the Sea Hags… we’ll see how it goes..

arnon
Seasoned

#27 Postby arnon » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:40 pm

The crew dives into the 50 Fathom Plot Point by trying to...
Free Tomas

spoiler ahead

=================
Chapter 22

Before leaving Tresse’s home she gave Sarapheen (formerly Shirelene, that’s the name she insists on being called now) a tattered book which turned out to contain the spell for Flight, and pointed the crew to a sunken kraken ship, the Cracanus, “right around the corner” which has magical sails.

Once back on their ship they went to fetch the magic sails. The place was infested with sharks, so they lured the sharks to the surface with blood for a chicken, then Sarapheen blasted them all with air out of the water. She stunned all of them except the great white which came at them, nearly throwing people into the water as it grazed the ship. Gronk got a hold of a harpoon and Sphene took a musket, they both aimed at the great white as it came for a second pass, they both hit and the great white died. The next blast from Sarapheen killed the smaller sharks as well. With the area clear Beck and Gronk dove down the 60’ to get the sails.

Now they made their way to Kiera. They planned just to stock-up on supplies, and see if they can convince anybody about the impending danger the world is in… and while there maybe sniff around and try to find the Tomas de Orinjon.

The only place they could think of that would serve their purpose for contacting some government official was the Kieran Trading Guild. Beck, Killian, and Equias (with his charts and measurements) went. They waited for a bureaucrat to be available, convinced him of the importance with a nice speach and some small change, asking him to take it to a higher boss. The higher boss listened as well, a little bit apprehensive, and promised to check it out as well.

Next they snooped around for information about Tomas de Orinjon. At some point in the night, a sailor mentioned of hearing about him, that the Fire Mage is serving upon the ship The Valiant. The sailor couldn’t say where they are but the Harbor-master might know… “for the proper price”. They found the harbor-master and tried the same trick on him which they did onthe bureaucrat. But the harbor-master was much more confident in his job; a measly 20, 50 or 100 coins would not be enough, he wanted more, much more. They wouldn't pay, and decided to search for the ship themselves, moving from port to port, in the Kieran empire.

After several days of doing just that, the party found the Valiant docked in Platos, the small community which is responsible which processes the prisoners before they are sent to Coaker Mountains. The sailor on duty at the ship gave them the bad news: Tomas was arrested. Not giving up the party went to the prison in hope to talk to Tomas but were turned back. So they went in search of the his Captain and found him (and several crewmembers) in the Goaler’s Due tavern. A quick chat with him and some of the crewmembers told them that Tomas was held on bogus charges and while the crew was ready to fight for him the captain stopped them for fear of getting the ship impounded. The got a sense from the crew that they’ll help if they could.

The party decided to try and approach one of the guards in the tavern, maybe they’ll be “flexible” enough to help them get the to the man or at least the Tear of Lys from him. He was flexible, just wasn’t sure how much, so he told them he’ll get back to them on the morror. Next day they met him in the afternoon and he said he could not get the “mages cell” but he could convince most of his bodie on shift that night to “turn their head” and not notice anything that’s not supposed to happen. He wouldn’t help them, just ignore them. And all that for a tidy sum of 2500 coins. The party agreed and got the money (they told the crew of the Valiant as well and that crew gathered around 380 coins, they didn’t have more… after all, they’ve been in Paltos for a week now).

At night they met with crew of the Valiant at the base of the cliff under the prison. They climbed up then asked the crew to wait under the walls, in case of trouble. The party climbed up and over the prison walls, not very quietly, but the guards turned their eyes to a very interesting start constellation that very moment. Slowly they made their way into the prison. They clanked their ways through the narrows corridor between the prison cells, waking up the local prisoners and just as a guard on patrol was about to turn and see what the problem was Beck rushed forward and bunked him on the head, rendering him unconscious. Taking the keys and promising the prisoners they’ll free them later the went straight to the mages cell. In the cell they found Tomas, a raven-haired masquani, and an almost dead kraken. They freed them all, not before telling Tomas they need to use him Tear of Lys for something very important, loaded the kraken, and rushed out. Beck tried to bend the prison key in hope to stopping the prisoners from escaping and threw it into one of the cells. This started a shouting amongst the prisoners which soon turned into a full blown storm. as the party slipped out of the prison and started up the stairs to the walls some prisoners burst out of the prison and attacked the guards. 4 guard came (two on each side) to the part on the wall telling them to stop; and while the party didn’t want to kill any of them and tried to subdue them, Tomas has no such compunctions and killed two of them with fire bolts and causes another to run away, the fourth was subdued and the party climbed down the wall…

… to the sounds of a riot going on inside the prison and the bell tower sounding the alarm.
=================

GM Notes:
They already tried once to talk to people about the raising sea level but once were held up by a guard in the Baltimus manor, and when trying to tell Duckworth about it he dismissed it and said he had more real, pressing matters to deal with. They’re going about it a different way this time, which will probably work better.

arnon
Seasoned

#28 Postby arnon » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:27 pm

After a daring prison break the crew escapes into the Floatsome Sea, hoping to find water form Earth.

This 50 Fathoms session is our "Season Finale". And the final battle turned out to be appropriately dramatic!

We'll be returning to a Rise of the Runelord (Patfhinder) campaign which started about 4 years ago and had two breaks (last break lasted about 1.5 years!) and i'll finally have a break from GMing and get to play a little :)

Spoilers ahead

=======================
Chapter 23

They reached the bottom of the cliff and loaded onto the rowboats they left there. As they rowed to the ships they saw a Keiran Cutter leave the docks and take a position to catch anyone trying to escape. They’ll have to break through, they understood. They wanted Tomas to come with them but he would not abandon his mates when they need him. In thanks he gave the party the Tear of Lys, the last one, and told them how to use it: tell your greatest tragedy and shed a tear on the Tear.

They reached the ship and prepared to break through. It took some fancy maneuvering by Killian, along with a chained shot which slowed down the Cutter to help them get away… that, and they fact the Cutter seemed to have scratched her hull on some shoals. They made it out of the bay, and headed straight to the Floatsom Sea. Their reason was two folds: first, who would be stupid enough to follow them; and second, they wanted to search for water from Earth. Two days out they spotted another Cutter heading towards them but managed to evade it as well.

They decided to hold on to the Tear and not use it yet, instead the escape from Kieran waters and the bust out of prison has put them “in a mood”. Beck was reminded of his bride-to-be which was killed by the Kaheena during the great Exodus of the doreen during the flood; Sarapheen told everyone how when she was younger she won a contests against all her sibling and won a puppy (when asked what happened to the puppy, she said it annoyed her father and he killed it); Sphen retold of the attack on Maroa, the week during which he lost both a sister and a mother.

That night the ship was attacked by Seaweed Fiends, they came in by night and killed two sentries before an alert was even sounded. The crew rushed topside to defend the ship, with Sarapheen killing most of the Fiends with a blast of hot air which blasted them apart. By the end of the fight three crewmen were dead and three wounded.

On the second day of wandering the edge of the Floatsome Sea they spotted a Earth-design ship call the Maria Terquesa (a human crewmember read the name for them), They approached is wearily but seeing nothing finally tied their own ship to it and Sarapheen, Beck, Sphen, Gronk, and Xianming went on board. As they started to poke into the ship a cry went up from their own ship and they noticed a great Octopons rise up from the sea to attack the ship…. just then a band of 8 octopons came out to attack the boarderers, one of them throwing around dark bolts and blasting with dark miasmatic energy.

The battle was fierce! The octopon warlock was hard to hit and managed to withstand almost any magical attack. His companions were a whirling mass of blades, attacking ferociously anyone they saw… and they did not care if a massive greal stood in their way (Gronk was knocked out the first round) or a small child (although a fierce budding arch-mage child). The octopons fought with two swords and were a menace to all. The crew on the Ship managed to shoot two of the canons at the approaching giant octopus and wounded him deeply but not enough to make it flee, instead it grappled the ship and started throwing sailors overboard while squeezing the ship. During the whole battle Xianming was in melee with another octopon, and although hurt badly and not being very effective, managed to keep one of the octopons occupied. Beck was managed to engage and kill some of the octopons but was also gravely wounded, and Sarapheen found her spells not being as effective against these enemies as she’s used to. Also, they attacked her with no compunction. After managing to kill the giant octopus with some more well placed canon shots, the party called on the crew to help, so the crew lined up and started taking shots at the octopons. This was very effective and helped Sphene who was taking shots with his bow at the enemies from above. In the end the only one standing on the Maria Tarquesa was Sphen (up in the crows nest shooting) and the warlock. Both Beck and Sarapheen were disabled and grievously wounded, and the warlock was wounded as well… he decided to blast the crew in the shooting gallery with his dark magic and tried to jump overboard, but a lucky shot finally took him out and he tumbled to the sea below.
=================

GM Notes:
  • First time using the Interlude mechanic. The 3 players i had all got something different to talk about: Tragedy, Victory, and Love, but in the end almost all were tragic in some way… Ah well, so goes the tragic heroes…
  • Final battle with the Octopons & Warlock was tough. The octopons with their crazy attacks and I was rolling very good (a rare thing) most of the night. The party were having a rough time. By the end of the fight (as i wrote) two WC PCs were Incapacitated and both rolled on Injury Table, Four sailors died and two others (Xianmin and Gronk) were seriously injured. It was a good and memorable (i think) fight to end a “Season” with.

Several things: 1st, i forgot to roll Spellcasting for the warlock when his concentration was interrupted as he maintained his Deflection on, this might have shortened the battle by a around i guess. 2nd, I forgot about the Unstable Platform rule which i needed to have slapped onto both Sphen (Bow) and the 12 crew members which came to assist in the battle… but when i remembered it i thought it would make things every more miserable for the party so i left it out.
  • I wanted to end the “Season” with another cliff-hanger: a reveal of Sarapheen’s parentage, and the return of the Hired Killer which is tracking down Beck… but i guess having them Incapacitated by the end of the session could do as well ;)

Cheers,
-arnon

arnon
Seasoned

Re: [50F] Arnon's 50 Fathoms Game - Journal & Discussion

#29 Postby arnon » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:21 am

And we're back!

13 month after placing the game on hiatus, we are back. Finally. In the meanwhile, we have finally ended out Rise of the Runelord campaign (last PF campaign for us, i'm glad to say), and we even had a test-run for D&D 5e, Lost Mines of Phandelver, which as great (we really like 5e).

But now we are back to 50 Fathoms and Savage Worlds (yay!). We only had about 30 minutes of gaming (we wrapped up the 5e campaign), so this sessions is rather short

Spoilers ahead

=======================
Chapter 24

After the battle it took them some-time to recover. Shirelene, while wounded still managed to stabilize Gronk through her skill, but did not have enough magic to heal anyone. They will have to heal up the old fashioned way. Onboard the Maria Tarquesa they found several casks of water from Earth and a figurehead which radiated magic. They took the casks and figurehead and sent a prize crew to the ship.

As they prepared to head out of the Flotsam Sea, a fog came fast over the ship, and a ghostly apparition appeared hovering above the water. A sad hollow voice rang out, and some of the Earth-born sailors murmured “it’s the Maiden!”.

The “Maiden” said they were on their way and that to fight the Hags they would need Amemnus’ Sword, the heart of the last arch-mage, and that which the Kraken have lost; then she disappeared. After a couple of hours the mist lifted and they found that they are out of the Flotsam Sea and in the waters of the Cold Sea.

That night before proceeding, they crew gathered and tried to activate the Tear of Lys, with Shirelene telling the sad story of how she saw her father kill the whole family of the servant boy she used to play with. Her tear dropped on the small diamond that is the Tear of Lys and a vision came to her and those around her, of three women being sentenced to drowning by king Amemnus, for witchcraft and the killing of their father and sister. In the background they saw the figures of three jurors, but only one of them they could see clearly: Byron Baltimus.

But as the crew recalled, the man has passed away some month ago.
=======================

Cheers,
-arnon

arnon
Seasoned

#30 Postby arnon » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:13 pm

Sometimes, i run whole sessions without a single combat...

=====================
Chapter 25
They head straight to New Madrid for some sorely needed R&R.

In New Madrid they learn that rivalry between the Spanish Guild and the East India Trade company is heating up, with the rumors in New Madrid being that the East India Co. is sending privateers to harass legal Spanish Trade Co. ships

After several days of rest the two of the ship sailor approach the party and tell them they found Beck’s body in one of the back alleys. Immediately the party goes there and find out that Beck was shot twice with arrows, killed and buried under rubble, junk, and debris in the alley (probably poisoned too). They try to ask around if anyone heard or saw anything but nothing comes of it The then decided to go to El Hoyo, see if they find Elijah there, but the bartender refused to acknowledge any knowledge of knowing Elijah, and even remembering that the party has already been in his bar (even started a fight, which is not uncommon in El Hoyo). After some convincing he finally told them that yes, Elijah was in the tavern a couple of nights ago in the company of Sergeant Garcia from the city watch.

They tried to track down the Sergeant, and while doing that, Saraphen spotted a masquani merchant, flanked by two bodyguards, looking at her quizzically, then immediately turning and walking away when she noticed. Saraphen recognized him as Yafer Yanko, a minor Kieran noble.

They party finally tracked down the Sergeant and while Killian was and Spehen convinced the man to send a message to Elijah, Saraphene noticed two sailors observing her. She walked into an alley and tried to hide from them, signaling Gronk to keep a short distance from her just in case. One of the sailor walked unobtrusively after her, while the second walk down a parallel alley. The sailor walked past Saraphen and then she decided to follow him…

In the meanwhile, Killian finished convincing Garcia to contact Elijah and started calling out in a loud voice to Saraphen, which got the sailor (now being followed) to turn his head and spot Saraphen. He looked as if he didn’t care and continued walking down the street.

That night Saraphen did not want to sleep on the ship, rather, she found and inn with a view to the waterfront and took a room there with Gronk. Keeping an eye on the ship from the room… trying to spot if anyone was observing the ship. But the night passed restfully.

The next day Saraphen revealed to the party that she is actually the daughter for the Emperor of Kiera, and that he’s probably after her, and that she spotted a noble who probably recognized her (that’s why she keeps changing her name). The part decided to try and track the nobel, Yafer, through the ship registry. There were three kieran ships listed, but none to Yafer. They went to all the ships but found nothing of value (other than that the full name of Adrius was Adrius Atragi, and he wasn’t based in New Madrid).

On the same day they found a buyer for the prize ship they brought with them, Garcia came to them and told them Elijah would meet them at El Hoyo later tonight. The bartender there was not happy to see them.

Killian and Sphene went to sit next to Elijah (corner table, sitting alone even though the place was packed. They also noticed that under his hood and gloves he was actually a Kaheena), and tried to get him to reveal his employers were about. He refused and told them to sod off. They would not go and then started a sort of intimidation game between Killian and Elijah. Elijah threatened to reveal Killian’s name to the assembled pirates (a known former associate of Duckworth) but Killian was not impressed… so Elijah shouted to the gathered that Killian Kato was here and should be dealt with. This of course brought attention the Killian and thread ot violence was in the air. Killian tried to surprise Elijah with a sword to the throat but Elijah as quicker and with a short knife to Killian’s throat told him to “leave now! While you still can...” The party left.

Having no more leads, and not knowing what to do, they decided to head to Baltimus and maybe get some answers. But before leaving they took on some new sailors, including a medic.

As they headed out, on the second day south, they noticed a ship following them. They made some maneuvers to check if she was following them and indeed she was. The ship chased them for 3 days before they managed to evade her (Saraphen’s magic to slow them down was countered by some magic on the chasing ship). During those days of chase they noticed two things: the ship’s name was “The Wave’s Revenge”, and the mage on that ship was a one-handed man who the party crossed path with some time ago (a pirate ship attacked them, the party won. They did not have enough men to send a prize crew, and wanted to punish the pirate-mage, so they threw him into the shark infested waters).

=================
Saraphen & Sphene: 50 (Veteran)
Killian: 45 (Veteran)
Gronk: 42 (Veteran)

GM Notes:
  • I really had no idea what i was doing. Didn’t plan for the whole session being used to trying to track down Beck’s killer. I should have known that killing him in that manner would make the players jump, so most of this session was me improvising...
  • Yafer Yanko, the minor noble which spotted Saraphen, is actually (unknown to Saraphen) one of the Emperor’s Spy-Masters (this I actually planned). He wasn’t looking for her actually, but will be keeping track of her from now on. One of the ships the party investigated is in fact his, but since he has an alias when in New Madrid, the ship is registered under that alias (this i did not plan)
  • The sailors which tried to track down Saraphen were actually from the ship that followed them, and have no connection to Yafer Yanko. The one-handed mage from that ship just want’s revenge on Spehen and Saraphen.
  • The “ship medic” they hired, is actually one of Yafer’s agents. He will keep a tab on Saraphen and send updates from every port
  • Reminder about Beck’s Story - Last time they were in New Madrid Beck was shot with an arrow which had a note attached to it; the note indicated that Beck has something the owner, Adrius, wanted. Several years ago Adrius hired Beck to find his wife and get some documents from her, Beck took the money but never came back. Beck told the party he tracked down the wife, but she paid him not to reveal her location.
    After Beck was shot, they tried to track Adrius down, they learned that the masquani merchant hired a person called Elijah to track Beck down and get back his property. They tracked Elijah to a seedy tavern called El Hoyo, but did not find Elijah.

arnon
Seasoned

#31 Postby arnon » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:15 pm

... and sometimes, i run a whole session with just a single combat...

=======================
Chapter 26
The party sailed their ship, The Flying Lotus through the Whip Island, trying as best they can to lose the Wave’s Revenge, and succeeding. They approached Baltimus from the east, and as they went past the last atol of the Whip, the look-out called that a battle is being waged between three ships.

They decided to close in and investigate; learning that two sloops flying the Spanish Guild colors were attacking a merchant frigate flying the British East India Company colors. They decided to close in and help the merchant. Due to some excellent maneuvering by Killian the Flying Lotus was always in good position to take good advantage of its canons, managing to blow the two sloops out of the water (skillfully shot by Sphene). The merchant captain, Frank Frankenson, thanked them profusely, expression shock and outrage that the Spanish would attack so close to Baltimus. He thanked them again when they offered to accompany him to Baltimus (on the way, they took out of the waters three spanish survivors, none knew anything of import).

Two days later they arrived at Baltimus. The Frankenson invited them that evening to the Crow’s Nest for a celebratory dinner, and they agreed, but first went to the Guild House. The clerk there was also shocked about this development (of so close Spanish attacks) and told them again how bad the situation has gotten with the Spanish Guild, he took their name and that of their ship and again thanked them in the name of the Eas India Co.

That evening they had lots of good food and drinks with Frankeneson and the crew of both ships.

The next day Saraphen and Gronkwent into the city; Saraphen was interested in finding tomes of magic or about magic. After some questioning they found Konaidas’ World of Wonder and had a nice chat with the scrullian proprietor. They found him polishing a red dragon figurehead which he claimed could spew fire, but it was too much money for them. Saraphen asked about other magical relics he might have, and after rummaging around he found a potion of Mana and an ever sharp cutlass, but even the potion was more money than they could afford (even after knocking 1000 gold of the original price. He could not direct them to any other mages, except a healer water mage and a fire mage called Thomas he once met.

As they left the shop Saraphen noticed someone following them; Gronk noticed five. They signaled each other and looked for a dead end. Once they found one Saraphen immediately turned around and readied a burst of hot air, and as three masquani rounded the corner, guns drawn and ready, she blasted them. Two went down immediately, and gritted through. Gronk tried to punch the remain one but missed, and ,meanwhile two other came around the corner. One attack Gronk, while the other dropped his sword and ran towards Saraphen trying to grapple her but missing. Saraphen went up into the sky and tried to blast her pursuer from above but missed; while Gronk scored a solid hit and smashed his attacker against the wall. It didn’t take them much longer to finish the other two.

Meanwhile,Killian went to visit his family in another area of town. His wife was not happy to see him saying that some guys came looking for him about a girl his hanging out with. He asked her to move to her mother's for a while.

Back at the ship Killian informed Saraphen about the visitors to his wife and the party thought that probably the best thing to do would be to lure the pursuer with a bait (Saraphen) and then try to capture some alive for questioning. But first they need to try to meet with Bruno Baltimus.

And, Saraphen asked to be called Sandra from now on.

They convinced the guard at the Baltimus manor to send a message to the young lord but no more than that. When they got to their shipp a messenger with a badge of the East India Co. asked them their names and handed them an invitation from none other than Edward Lazenby. The invitation was for the following evening; dinner and a show at the “Baltimus Shakespeare Company” (The Merchant of Venice). Formal wear is required.

So off they went, searching for a tailor who could rush a job.

=================
Sandra (aka Saraphen) & Sphene: 52 (Veteran)
Killian: 47 (Veteran)
Gronk: 44 (Veteran)

GM notes:
  • So the word is out that Saraphen (Sandra), the daughter of the Whale (Kieran emperor) is out and about. The five who attacked them are Kieran rebels who wanted to take her as a bargain chip against the Emperor. If only she knew… (insert evil GM grin).
  • How did word got out? Well,Yafer Yanko (the Kieran spymaster who spotted her in New Madrid) planted an agent among the ship’s crew (the new medic) and told him to go to the local Kieran spy station whenever he got to port and send a coded message of the princess whereabouts and actions. Too bad that the Baltimus station is compromised with Kieran rebels double agents (and maybe Baltimus double agents?). From his side, Yafer will try to protect her till he get’s word from the Emperor on how to proceed.
  • Killian went to visit his family, so instead of just saying all’s well, I made up some faction trying to put pressure on him through his family in regards to the young princess. We’ll see how this plays out, he might be approached by someone for info (“we know where your family lives…”)
  • Yes, I set them on the path to the Savage Tale “A New Tragedy”. I know it’s recommended for Heroic groups and they are only halfway through Veteran, but I think they’ll manage nicely; and also, that the timing is good right now what with the Trade War going on in the background, them having saved some East India ship, them wanting to get in touch with Bruno Baltimus, etc…

arnon
Seasoned

#32 Postby arnon » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:20 am

Another 50 Fathoms game for us.

Spoilers ahead, so player beware...

=================
Chapter 27
Dressed and primed (and hungry and thirsty), they arrived at the house of the Baltimus Shakespeare Company. They showed their invites, and were shown it; inside they were greeted by Reginald Davenport, director of the Shakespeare Company and he was fawning over his august guests (important and upcoming merchants, some privateers, a couple of Councilmen). The place was very pleasing, with a U shaped table at the front, close to the stage, full to the bream with good food and drinks; waitresses roamed around with hors d'oeuvre and drinks.

Everybody complimented Killian on how nice it is that he brought along his daughter and how pretty she looked.

They mingled a bit, with Killian trying to get into a conversation with someone from the Council to tell them about the raising water situation (mostly succeeding) while Gronk and Sphene just enjoyed the food and drinks. They met with Frank Frankeson again, and had a pleasant chat with him, and as they sat down for the first Act of the show they introduced themselves for the merchant next to them: Adrius Artagi (yes, him); the party kept their cool.

We should note that, none of the party being from Earth, they found the show strange, but they endured (Sandra didn’t understand why people only pretended to get hurt, and were not really hurt. “That’s not how it is in our theaters…” she mumbled). First Act was over and more food and drinks came, and with them also Edward Lazenby (East India Company head) came to greet them. They talked, and again told him about the rising waters. He looked pensive and asked them to come to him and talk about it on the morrow.

The second Act started and ended, and then, as waitresses came over with more trays and food, Killian spotted the barrel of a gun sticking under the tray which was pointed at Edward Lazenby. Killian acted fast, jumping at the would-be-assassin and tackling him, averting the deadly shot at the last instance… unfortunately, the waiter behind Lazenby was also an assassin and he did manage to shoot the man in the back. Mr. Lazenby fell forward on his plate.

Twelf waiters in all drew guns and knives and started shooting at the important guests, while the party jumped into action. Sandra started blasting waiters with her magic, while Sphene (who did not bring his bow with him) noticed a second gun on one of the waiters and grabbed it so he could shoot someone. Gronk threw a knife, thus disarming an attacked, and waded into hand-to-hand combat.

Shots were fired, fists punched, swords and knives slashed, people screamed, magical blasts were hurled and people died; a firebomb was thrown into the center of the room (but as blasted with water by Sandra), and another firebomb exploded in the would-be-assassin’s hands. The last assassin standing ran backstage with Gronk and Killian after him. While Killian tried to wave through the panicking actors and stage props, Gronk just crashed through it all and landed on the escaping assassin, thus capturing one alive.

Back in the room Sandra rushed to Lazenby and tried to Heal him, stabilizing him and bringing him out of death’s embrace and after catching his breath a bit, asked them to come to his home office tomorrow afternoon. All in all, 14 died in the monstrous attack (alas, including Adrius).

On the morrow, they went to see Lazenby. He gifted them all a reward for saving his life and those of his guests (as much they could), and confided that he did not think the Spanish were so brazen as to orchestrate such an attack, but rather suspected the Kierans. He listened to their story about the rising water, promised to look into it, and gave them a letter of introduction to Bruno Baltimus. He also offered them a Letter of Marque, and offered a mission: bring back the hijacked Frigate The Immortal (the ship which started the Trade War, by being captured by the Spanish).

They accepted it all and went back to their ship…

On the way they tried to lure the people after Sandra into a trap, but some of the group (Gronk, for example) had a hard time being inconspicuous.

=================
GM Notes
  • The Party didn't have too hard a time with the Assassins (the savage Tale is listed for Heroic, and they are mid-way through Veteran); although they did spend almost all of the bennies during the fight (re-rolls and Soaks)
  • The fight ended with a short and cool chase scene (2 rounds) through baskstage, which ended with the slow Grael getting the Joker, and he decided to grapple the fleeing assassin.
  • They players didn't understand how come none of the guards came rushing into the theater on the sound of trouble; i solved that by having the guards drugged
  • Adrius was killed during the fight and they players were happy about that (he was a left over from a PC which is no longer with us, and i wanted a close for it). I always planned for him to die in the theater, but i wanted my players to learn who is sitting next to them and spend some time planning what to do to him... alas they did not plan anything for me to yank from under their feet :-)

arnon
Seasoned

#33 Postby arnon » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:18 pm

Chapter 28
That evening, armed with a letter of introduction from Lazenby, they went to the Baltimus manor again. They were escorted in by a servant, who led them to a small sitting room. The manor was in a party mood with plenty of drinks, heavy sweet smoke, musicians playing, food being served, and some people in the (early) acts of coitus. Bruno Baltimus came into the sitting room with a bottle of wine and an escort which was not wearing enough cloth to hide her form; he was also probably high on something.

He sobered up once the party started talking, and telling him about the danger of the rising waters, and how they wish to stop it (even mentioning Tressa the Red). Bruno listened closely, but was fearful of retribution from the Witches, the party assured him it will not come to that. Finally, he was convinced to let them see his father’s study and let them search it. Before going to the study they also asked him about King Amemnus and his sword, but the young Baltimus knew nothing of it, although he did say he once (some years ago) met the son of Amemnus, but doesn’t remember much of him.

In the study the party found Byron Baltimus’ diary and in it found the tale of the trial of the three sister for Blood Magic and murder of their father, along with the murder of their youngest sister. The names of the three sisters were listed as well.

After that they went back to the ship. The next day they visited Lazenby again and told him they will accept his Letter of Marque. They also asked about King Amemnus’ son, but while he did not know where the prince is, he told them he’ll set his intelligence agency in motion to find out anything.

After that they sailed to New Madrid in hope of hijacking the Immortal. They reach New Madrid without much trouble, and found the a frigate matching the Immortal’s description with a fresh coat of paint at a side dock, being guarded by ten men. They then set watch on the ship, thinking it will be easier to capture her in the high seas than from the docks. The even followed some of the guards around to a tavern after the guard’s shift was over, but could gather no useful intel. After about a week, they noticed a crew coming to practice on the ship and cargo being loaded. The crew looked very disciplined and motivated. And so, the party decided to try and hijack it from the docks.

They gathered 12 more sailors from their ship, and told the first mate to take their own ship to a small cover south of New Madrid. Gronk went for a swim and climbed up the side of the Immortal, waiting for the signal. Sandra went up the dock, acting as if she is looking for her lost puppy. Sphene and Killian snuck behind her; and the rest of the crew waiting on being called some distance from the anchored ship.

Sandra got close to the 5 guards on the pier, and as she maneuvered herself for the best shot, she blasted them all with hot water. One evaded while four stood there in shock. Killian rushed over but had too much ground to cover, while Sphene shoot the evading guard in the head. This was the signal Gronk waited for and he clambered aboard the ship acting surprised at seeing guards there, saying in his most drunken voice “this is my ship, what are you doing here?”, while attacking the guards.

The battle was fierce but short. The bad news to the party was that two shots were fired, which raised an alarm from the city with whistles being heard in the night. Quickly they called the crew over and set them to prepare the ship for sail…. And managed to be on their way just as a full complement of city watch came rushing to the pier.

As the Immortal pulled away, another ship was being prepared for departure, seemingly to give chase.

=================
Sandra (aka Saraphen) & Sphene: 57 (Veteran)
Killian: 52 (Veteran)
Gronk: 48 (Veteran)
=================

GM Notes:
  • For my party, getting to the diary of Byron Baltimus was never going to be through the Savage Tale Debauchery. It just doesn't fit the party. I'm glad it went the diplomacy route, and that they managed to convince him to let them get a look at the diary.
  • They keep asking the important people they meet (Lazenby, Bruno Baltimus, for example) about the son of King Amemnus. I never liked the Plot Point story of The Prince, starting with overhearing a conversation in a tavern. So i let them know that somewhere there is a prince, son of King Amemnus and that the son is a coward, and not as his father was. Also, when they asked Lazenby abou the Prince, and since they already convinced him that they are doing something important, he offered to "sniff around" for them. At a later point he'll have info for them on where the Prince is, which will lead them to that Plot Point tale.
  • Hijacking the Immortal was fun. They discussed it a lot, and even as i though that they might wait for it to sail and attempt a Sea Capture, in the end they decided to attack on the docks (maybe i scared them with how disciplined the crew boarding the Immortal was).
  • Preparing the Immortal for sail while a hostile platoon was coming from the city, I decided to run as a Dramatic Task, asking for boating rolls which were being led by Killian who is the captain. It was a close call, but they managed to score the 5 success two rounds before the City Watch poured onto the docks

arnon
Seasoned

#34 Postby arnon » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:18 pm

Chapter 29
A quick Becalm spell from Sandra on on the pursuing ship and some good sailing by Killian was all it took them to get away from New Madrid. They sailed east, then doubled back to the small cove where their own ship was. Together they set sail to Baltimus and got there with no trouble.

They were greeted in Baltimus as heroes and were cheered along as they docked. A representative from the East India Co. came to greet them and asked them to come along with them to give them their reward. After that they went to see Lazenby.

Lazenby was feeling much better, but still recovering from the assassination attempt. He was glad to see them and told them that he has news of Alain Amemnus: they lad was see in Tulago; but the only reason he was there was as a prisoner of the pirate L’Ollonaise and his 200 men, 7 ship strong fleet. The french pirate has taken over the small town about a week ago, and Lazenby does not have the resources to spare to send someone after there (what with the Spanish Guild problems, and Duckworth not being around).

They stay some more days in Baltimus re-arming themselves (Sphene buys himself a grenade launcher, and other such stuff), then head out to Bristo (which is about 30 miles from Tulago). At Bristo they find that some refugees from Tulago came stumbling overland about a week ago, having escaped L’Ollonaise and his men. They go to talk to them and learn a bit about what happened and when they say that they want to go there and bloody the pirate’s nose, then two men volunteer to come along.

They party sets out with the two Tulagens and four more crew members (ten in all), and make it to Tulago after two days of trekking. They sit down to observe the town for more than a day; observing routines, hunting parties, the ships in the bay, the night revelries, etc.. After a whole day of observing they easily follow a hunting party and ambush them with minimal effort, managing to threatens the pirates down without killing a single one. They go on to interrogate the pirates and learn of where the prisoners are, but also that some prisoners were given to Blackbeard when he showed with his ship 2 days ago. They tie the pirates up and head back to the outskirts of town, waiting long after midnight and for all the pirates to be drunkenly asleep after the night’s party.

They sneak into the village, Sphene kills the guard at the back door of the hostages’ holding area, and they sneak in with the two Tulagen guides who came along. They calm the existed prisoner as they search for Prince Alain, but the prisoners cannot just leave the town, as some of their wives and daughters are being held in other houses for the amusement of the pirates. They party suggest that the former hostages sneak into each of the houses and kill as many pirates while they will deal with L’Ollonaise… of course, Alain is not happy about that and just wants to escape as fast and far as possible. They want to bring him along with them to fight the pirate captain but he insists on hiding under the bed. He also tells them that he gave his father’s sword to L’Ollonaise, and that L’Ollonaise gave it to Blackbeard.

WIth Prince Alain safely under the bed and the freed Tulagens ready to massacre the pirates, they party takes a deep breath and heads to kill L’Ollonaise.

=================
Sandra (aka Saraphen) & Sphene: 59 (Veteran)
Killian: 54 (Veteran)
Gronk: 50 (Veteran)
=================

GM Notes:
  • It's always strange for me that we can have entire sessions without a single combat, and people still enjoy themselves :)
  • The crew was properly apprehensive about tackling L'Ollonaise with his 200 crew, but knew that head-on was not an option. So they decided on a subtler approach.
  • Of course, once they were in the village and so close to the pirate captain and not wanting to leave the village women at the mercy of the pirates, they could not resist going on the attack. Hoping to catch him asleep.
  • Of course, he will not be asleep ...

arnon
Seasoned

#35 Postby arnon » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:32 am

Tonight on 50 Fathoms: The death of a Frenchman (or, one long combat session)

some possible spoilers
=================
Chapter 30
The freed hostages and the crew filled out the back door of the “prison” they were in. The former hostages separate into several groups and head to different huts in order to kill some pirates while they sleep.

The party peeked around the corner to look at the main plaza of the village were a great bonfire blazed some hours ago, and now only embers glowed, and empty bottles and food leftover was left littering the place (along with about three drunken sleeping pirates). One man was on duty at the door of the pirate captain. Sphene climbed up the roof of a building and took aim with his trusty crossbow, while Killian and Gronk readied to charge ahead; not knowing if the guard was asleep or awake Sandra walked up to him. “Who goes there,” he mumbles and squints, and with that seals his fate as a bolt slams into him and kills him instantly.

Sandra and Killian try to quietly get into the room, but two things happen. A parrot suddenly speaks up “Welcome aboard! Welcome aboard!” which so surprises Killian and he smashed into a chair and topples it. This wakes L’Ollonaise and he wakes up from his sleep, and walks over to the curtain parting the house in two (picking up his sword on the way). He moves the curtain aside, “You are not from my crew,” he says. Sandra tries to talk them out of it but the franch pirate just aims his gun and shoots at Killian. While this was happening Gronk went over to smash one of the sleeping sailors head, but the other two sailor started to wake up after the gunshot from L’Ollonaise.

Killian charges the pirate captain and Sandra shoots a bolt at him hurting him a bit, and goes back out the door to stand by the open window. Sphene glides down to the door, while Gronk tries, but fails, to kill another wakening sailor. The pirate attacks Killian with his sword but Killian grits his teeth and does not fall; Sphene shoots the sword out of the pirate’s hands.

Outside, meanwhile, alert is being sounded all over the village and pirates start to swarm out of the hovels. The battle rages on as Sphene and Gronk attack and keep busy the oncoming waves of pirates, while Killian and Sandra concentrate on defeating L’Ollonaise. The pirate captain draws another gun and shoot, but again his bullets only graze. He manages to intimidate Killian and the jump out a window. But he is of course pursued by both Sandra and Killian. At some point several pirates come from an alley which brings them to support their captain but Killian and Sandra make quick work of them. Killian finally manages to corner the french captain and kill him, but not before the pirate scores a solid hit on the masquani privateer. With the fall of L’Ollonaise, Killian shouts “Your captain is dead,” and hacks of the pirate’s head then picks it up (some pirate who were running towards him suddenly stop in their tracks. “Surrender pirate,” Killian tells them. “We are farmers,” they mumble and run inland, away from the village.

Gronk and Sphene continue to battle as more pirates flow to them; and Sandra raises up to the air shouting “Surrender you all, for i am Jenevive Archmage. Surrender and you might live,” while Killian come back to the plaza with the head of the pirate captain, “Surrender,” he shouts as well. And while some pirate seem ready to surrender, and some flee, eight charge and shoot at the crew.

One bullet hits Killian, nearly killing him, while three pirates attack Gronk and he savagely wounded. The situation, suddenly becomes dire. Even Sphene is wounded slightly, and Sandra is low on energy and casts very little. The last moments of the fight are dangerous for the crew but in the end they prevail.

Many of the pirates set out in dinghies or try their luck in swimming to the ships in the bay, while others flee inland. They party is joined by the freed hostages (some died in the battle), and by the villages saved.

They ransack L’Ollonaise’s room finding some gold and all his belonging (some of which are enchanted relics) along with a map sewn into the pirate’s jacket.

=================
Jenevive (aka Saraphen, Sandra, Shirlene) & Sphene: 61 (Heroic)
Killian: 56 (Veteran)
Gronk: 52 (Veteran)
=================
GM Notes:
  • The whole session was one long battle. One the party parted with the freed hostages, i gave them 5 rounds before the alarm was sounded (the hostages not being careful enough in their sloughter and waking up the pirates who start to fight back). I shaved 2 round from the alarm once shoots were fired.
  • Since L'Ollonaise was diasrmed from his sword rather quickly his best tactic was Intimidating Killian hoping to get a raise, and then retreat and shoot. This works a couple of times, no more. What kept the pirate alive was his rather high Parry and Toughness (most my rolls were rather bad for him)
  • I had several waves of pirates run to the plaza once shoots were fired. Every 3-4 rounds i rolled a d6 and that's how many pirates joined battle
  • Still almost all battle passed without the Party suffering to much damage
  • By the time L'Ollonaise was slain, the party was practically out of Bennies... and that is when my rolls suddenly shifted and i started to dish out damage (both Gronk and Killian ended the fight with 3 Wounds, Sphene with 1 Wound)

jdpb1
Novice

#36 Postby jdpb1 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:07 am

Arnon - this thread is amazing. Thanks so much for taking the time to post! The story is great and your GM insights most useful. I'm really loving this. I've been toying with running 50F for my group, and your posts have both inspired my imagination and boosted my confidence that I can do so and that it'll be a rollicking good time for my group. Thanks! I'm sure I'm not the only lurker here attentively following this thread. Can't wait for more!

-Joe

JamesG
Seasoned

#37 Postby JamesG » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:45 am

jdpb1 wrote:I'm sure I'm not the only lurker here attentively following this thread. Can't wait for more!

You are definitely not the only lurker enjoying this thread immensely.

arnon
Seasoned

#38 Postby arnon » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:08 am

Thanks guys, glad you're enjoying and finding it informative :D

I'm actually a session behind in reporting and we are playing tonight. So if i have time i'll post a double update this weekend.

Cheers,
-arnon

arnon
Seasoned

#39 Postby arnon » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:14 pm

On this episode: Mass Battles and Personal Battles...

possiblr spoilers ahead

=================
Chapter 31
Not long after the fight, while some were plundering and some were resting, several of the houses nearest the beach got blown up by cannon shots! People started running away from the village as another wave of cannon shots was rained on the village of Tulago. Sphene and Killian ran to the beach to see what was happening; they saw 4 of L’Ollonaise’s ships still in the harbor (out of seven), two seemed to be locked together and the crews fighting amongst them, while t frigate was firing all it’s canons at the village. Sphene decided to take a crack shot at one of the cannoneers from about 40 yards, and dropped him, but that did not stop the cannon fire and they too fled the village.

It was several hours later (after all was quiet) that they came back to the village. Only two ships were in the harbor now, but no movement was seen. The party stayed the night, resting as much as they could before setting back to their ship in Bristo. The trek was slower this time around, what with both Gronk and Killian severely injured. When they were one day out of Bristo they were ambushed by a group of pirates, but managed to survive that encounter as well.

In Bristo they were greeted with wonder and warmth, as they told that Tulago was now free of the pirates. They wanted to stay and rest some more before moving on, but a day or so later a ship came to the harbor calling all seaworth ships to come and defend Baltimus and the East India Trading Co. from an imminent attack from the Spanish Guild and New Madrid (pardons will be given). Immediately they set off.

Baltimus harbor was busy with all the ships, and even Duckworth’s Man o’ War was there. They managed to get a short audience with Lazenby which wasn’t very helpful, and managed to get a short conversation with Duckworth about assistance later on… after fending off the attack. They waited for the signal to head off to the staging area. Gronk and Killian were resting as much as they could, but only Gronk seemed to be getting better, with Killian having a hard time recovering.

After some days the signal was given and the ships set off to the staging area at the northern tip of Cuwayo; and once there, each ship took up its position according to Admiral Duckwoth’s plan. They laid in wait for two days and then the Spanish Fleet arrived. Over a long day of maneuvers and strange tactics, the Baltimus fleet managed to maneuver the Spanish fleet into a trap and destroyed most of the fleet. The Spanish retreated, and Duckworth gave the signal to hold on and not pursue. After a while they returned to Baltimus, victorious.

They immediately set to Lazenby’s office to hope to catch Duckworth (as he promised to talk with them) but there was a lot of people coming and going and as they waited, they spotted the Kieran noble Yafer Yanko. Sphene was sent to trail him while Killian and Sandra waited to get Duckworht’s attention (it took some time, but they managed to get an audience with Duckworth set for the next day). Sphene managed to follow Yanko and his associates without being noticed to an old decrepit house.

Back at the ship Spehen described what he saw and they decided to go and confront the man. As the four made their way through the back alleys of Baltimus, Gronk noticed they are followed and about to walk into an ambush. Suddenly seven rogues surrounded them and demanded Sandra come with them… Of course, the party attacked.

In the middle of the fight, Yafer Yank and two associated came running in, guns drawn and ready… and as soon as Sandra saw him she shoot a deadly bolt at him. Yanko didn’t have a chance, while his two associated fell to their knees and begged mercy from “Her Highness”.

Sandra walked over to Yanko who was breathing hard and on death’s door. “What do you want from me?!” she demanded from him. “I’m sorry I couldn’t protect you, your Highness,” he coughed out of breath and died.

=================
Jenevive Jant (aka Saraphen,Sandra, Higness) & Sphene: 63 (Heroic)
Killian: 58 (Veteran)
Gronk: 54 (Veteran)

GM Notes
  • I decided that it's not likely all the pirates woulf just up and run after what happened, so in the background some of the pirates started fighting over the ships; while another ship, quickly getting under control, wanted to exact revenge on Tulago.. so started blasting them with cannon fire. I don't think i asked for rolls from the characters, it was just for the atmosphere.
  • I decided to have the Savage Tale All Out War occur. So they party joind the battle of course, how could they not. The battle was a strange one (i only run two of these, so maybe it's not strange). First to round were a tie between the two opposing General's Know. Battle rolls; then the player rolling for Duckworth got a success + 6 raises! ... that ended the battle then and there...
    While the players also participated in the battle, I did not follow the rules as written. I didn't want them to be afraid to participate in this battle (due to even a success on the roll, cauasing some damage), and i was planning on doing something less dangerous, but then forgot to do it... :?
  • So regarding Sandra sun-plot. Yes, Yafer Yanko was actualy trying to protect her. This got the players confused as hell, as they thought that it was Yanko sending the people after Sandra to capture her.
    The players, of course, didn't see anything wrong with how they acted; "they came runing down the alley with guns drawn towards us, of course we had to react".... I shurgged "shoot first, ask later", i said. They didn't buy my response. BUT, it's just what I hoped would happend. some Drama for them to think about till next session...

arnon
Seasoned

#40 Postby arnon » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:32 am

Another of our 50 Fathoms sessions. I been slacking in writing thse, and i still got one more to write.

possible spoilers ahead

=================
Chapter 32
The two remaining agents refused to talk out in the open, so they led the party to the building Sphene saw them previously entering. The first room was empty but a secret latch was pulled and a door opened to another room full of notes and the smell of pigeons. Jenevive demanded explanation and they told her what they knew: they believe those trying to capture her are rebels against the emperor who might want to use her as a bargaining chip; Yafer Yanko, while awaiting word from Kiera on what to do with the princess, was set on protecting her. At any ways, word came from the Emperor that he wanted the princess to keep on doing what she is doing, he appears to be amused by her actions and progress. No aid whatsoever would be coming to her. This angered Jenevive and after showing her anger at them left the safe house.

The next day they went to Duckworth’s office at the East India Co. offices (one he rarely uses) and they told him everything they knew regarding the raising waters, the Hags, and that they need his help to confront Blackbeard who has Amemnon’s sword which might help them fight the Hags. It took them a while, but they finally convinced him, they hatched a plan: they will sail to the southernmost tip of the Whip Islands, there they will part and the Dancing Lotus will continue to Brigandy Bay alone, trying to sniff out information about Blackbeard. Duckworth will patrol the area and come back to the meeting spot every week.

One day out of Bridgandy Bay they came across a smoking frigate. She was after a short battle it appeared and no person was seen on board from afar. As they closed in with the ship they started seeing corpses littering the deck and then a figure walked out waving to them then collapsing. Boarding the ship they saw that these sailors were not killed in battle, they were butchered! But more than that, they were tortured: limbs hacked, lips and noses cut off… horrible. The figure which collapsed turned out to be a young land, his hands cut off at the wrist and no nose. After patching him up and recovered and told them that they were attacked by a frigate called the Mad Dog. There was no fight, the captain surrendered immediately and offered the pirate captain the cargo, but the pirate captain shot the captain and then proceeded to butcher the rest of the sailors. He described the pirate captain, and both Jenevive and Sphene were surprised to learn they recognize the man as James Low, a human sailor they pulled out of the sea almost a year ago, then he got off at the first port, Birgandy Bay. They took the lad to their ship and continued to sail.

After some hours they saw a ship in the distance heading the same direction they are, they identified it as a heavy laden frigate. Not wanting to get to close, they kept their distance and diverted their course.

They reached Brigandy Bay, the next day. Killian decided he better not show his face in the pirate town for fear of being identified as a former privateer and making a scene. They went to town, asking around for information on Blackbeard, even trying (unsuccessfully) to plant rumors the dread pirate has gone into the racketeering business. The only information they got was that he sometimes comes, usually staying on his ship and nobody messes with his undead crew. One particularly good piece of information they did get: a person who survived an encounter with Blackbeared was living at the edge of Brigandy Bay.

When they got to their ship they saw that the Mad Dog was in the harbor, but decided to steer clear.

The next day was slightly foggy. Nonetheless, they headed to the house where this survivor of Blackbeared was supposed to be. It was the edge of town near the beach, there were other houses there but hard to see through the fog. As they approached the house they noticed several figures milling about, and as they got closer they heard a scream of horror. They rushed to the house only to be confronted by several zombie sailors. While they fought the zombies, they heard another scream. The party was killing the last of the zombies when from the house emerged a creature which looked like a Kraken, in one hand he held a severed head, in the other a small booklet; he saw the party killing his minions, uttered some words and was devoured by the earth.

=================
Jenevive Jant (aka Saraphen, Sandra, Highness): 63 (Heroic)
Sphene: 63 (Heroic)
Killian: 58 (Veteran)
Gronk: 54 (Veteran

GM Notes:
  • So regarding Jenevive. I'm not sure where i'm taking this. I think that at some point she will be approached by another agent of her father (Emperor Jant) and ordered to perform something. I'll go over the Savage Tales to see whcih I can use. It has to be something which will also allow her to turn it arround and hurt her father.
  • Enlisting Duckworth to join them in the hunt for Blackbeard was excellent, it'd be very hard for them otherwise since they are sailing around in a small birgantine.
  • I'm pretty sure that if the player running Killian would have been at the session, he would have insisted on hunting down Edward Low (The Butcher, savage tale). As it turned out, it turned out for the best (next session..)
  • I remembred the diary which might be found in Brigandy Bay supposedly written by a Blackbeard survivor. That is why I hinted at Bridandy Bay as a place rumored to be visited by Blackbeard from time to time. I decided the survivor is still alive, but will not be once the party reached him. To this i enlisted the aid of the Kraken Lich from Black Tower Savage Tale. After all, both he and Blackbeard are servants of the Hags, they have an interst in keeping the info away from the crew
  • With that, maybe they should be randomly attacked by creatures allied with the Hags from now on... make it rare but not to rare...
Cheers,
-arnon

Return to “SW Pinnacle Original Settings & Companions”