[SFC] custom race outsider question.

Information and comments on all Pinnacle original Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [NE] for Necessary Evil, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below as do licensed settings.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Isawarenshi
Seasoned

[SFC] custom race outsider question.

#1 Postby Isawarenshi » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:00 pm

What's the difference between the construct or deader version of outsider showing as major worth -2 and an insectoid showing the minor worth -1?

Brickulos
Veteran

Re: [SFC] custom race outsider question.

#2 Postby Brickulos » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:02 pm

Constructs and Deaders are often considered less than "human" and can be expected to be treated like property or expendable.

Xanty
Novice

#3 Postby Xanty » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:03 pm

With the major (-2) point hindrance, they are considered a slave race, or non-sentient... like Droids in Star Wars... constantly getting mind wiped... in addition to the social penalties. They have to be claimed as "Property" by someone else, or they will be claimed by some NPC.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Deskepticon
Veteran

#4 Postby Deskepticon » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:52 pm

The Outsider Hindrance imparts a Charisma penalty on any interactions with races/beings other than the character's own. The Minor version is the one found in the SWD core rule book. It imparts a -2 Charisma penalty to most social actions, but otherwise the character is still awarded some dignity. The Major version is much more harsh. In addition to the -2 Charisma there are other "heavier" roleplay elements. In the case of robots, they are property. An unaccompanied construct will likely be tagged and brought to a "lost&found" area (or worse, a scrapyard!). For Deaders, they are viewed as filthy parasites, "wearing" the flesh of the honorable dead. They can very well be beat down in the street and the authorities aren't likely to make a strong effort to solve the case.

Keep in mind that the races presented are just concepts; you can alter them as it suits your needs. For example, if your setting has the races living peaceably together then the Insectoid's Outsider Hindrance can be swapped with Quirk. Even though no one can quite get used to their eating habits, Insectoids still get a fair shake on the galactic playground.

Isawarenshi
Seasoned

#5 Postby Isawarenshi » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:03 pm

Thanks for clarifying it for me. I just noticed the new version of the hinderance in SFC. Lol woops missed that one.

Jame Rowe
Novice

#6 Postby Jame Rowe » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:50 pm

How would SFC handle Robots as a PC race?

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#7 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:46 pm

They're one of the listed races. Specifically, Construct. See pages 7 & 8 of the SFC.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Deskepticon
Veteran

#8 Postby Deskepticon » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:21 pm

Jame Rowe wrote:How would SFC handle Robots as a PC race?

They are typically viewed as property, although as I mentioned in my above post, your setting may vary.

"Androids" may pass for human until their robotic nature is discovered. In which case they may be hunted down mercilessly (a la Blade Runner), or used for sport (like in the film A.I.).

Mechanically (no pun intended), constructs do not heal naturally; they must be repaired via the skill to recover Wounds.

Jame Rowe
Novice

#9 Postby Jame Rowe » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:51 pm

Thank you guys!

Deskepticon
Veteran

#10 Postby Deskepticon » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:35 pm

Were you asking because you don't have a copy of the SFC?
Because there is a construct race in the SWD. The only real difference in the SFC is the Outsider, Major Hindrance (i.e., being property) and the option to purchase mods to upgrade your body.

Jame Rowe
Novice

#11 Postby Jame Rowe » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:23 pm

Deskepticon wrote:Were you asking because you don't have a copy of the SFC?
Because there is a construct race in the SWD. The only real difference in the SFC is the Outsider, Major Hindrance (i.e., being property) and the option to purchase mods to upgrade your body.

Yes. I have TLP but havent got around to SFC (no stores here have it so I should order it).

What is SWD?

Xanty
Novice

#12 Postby Xanty » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:32 pm

Jame Rowe wrote:What is SWD?

Savage Worlds Deluxe... the current core rulebook
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Deskepticon
Veteran

#13 Postby Deskepticon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:30 pm

Jame Rowe wrote:
Deskepticon wrote:Were you asking because you don't have a copy of the SFC?

Yes. I have TLP but havent got around to SFC (no stores here have it so I should order it).

What is SWD?

^ Yep. The current rulebook. It is a common abbreviation you'll find throughout the forums. You might also see SWex (or SWee) referring to Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition, the ruleset that predates the Deluxe rulebook. Many of Pinacle's more popular products were written using the old ruleset, so you'll need to do a little bit of converting to play them with SWD rules.

FYI, the SW Deluxe Explorer's Edition book is so-named because the book's aspect ratio matches the company's earlier releases (6.5"x9") before they started printing their books slightly larger. The content is otherwise identical to the SWD (without the EE) and thus you'll rarely see someone use the abreviation "SWDee" unless it is pertinent to the discussion.

Return to “SW Pinnacle Original Settings & Companions”