Revised Pulp GM Companion ever?

Information and comments on all Pinnacle original Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [NE] for Necessary Evil, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below as do licensed settings.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

el_phantazmo
Novice

Revised Pulp GM Companion ever?

#1 Postby el_phantazmo » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:13 am

hey all. i was wondering if there were any plans being kicked around the office to revise/reboot the Pulp GM Companion in any way? hope so :) thanks

Gut0nez
Novice

Re: Revised Pulp GM Companion ever?

#2 Postby Gut0nez » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:13 am

That would be cool indeed. You should check out the Daring Tales of Adventure pulp rules from Triple Ace Games (it's short, sweet and free) or the Thrilling Tales 2nd Edition setting from Adamant Entertainment for more pulpy goodness.
"Did I fire six shots, or only five? Three? Seven. Whatever." - Unkempt Harold

Dirty Ernie
Veteran

#3 Postby Dirty Ernie » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:52 pm

Yes, indeed, Pinnacle.

I'd love to see an updated version of the Pulp Toolkits in print (that is, Companion).

I'd buy three copies, just to make it worth your while. 8)
I've often speculated why you don't return to America. Did you abscond with the church funds? Run off with a senator's wife? I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

kronovan
Heroic

#4 Postby kronovan » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:53 am

Gut0nez wrote:You should check out the Daring Tales of Adventure pulp rules from Triple Ace Games (it's short, sweet and free) or the Thrilling Tales 2nd Edition setting from Adamant Entertainment for more pulpy goodness.

I suspect this is why no pulp toolkit is in the pipeline. Between the 2 of those you're covered for all the pulp subgenres and they're not that expensive.

Gut0nez
Novice

#5 Postby Gut0nez » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:43 pm

kronovan wrote:
Gut0nez wrote:You should check out the Daring Tales of Adventure pulp rules from Triple Ace Games (it's short, sweet and free) or the Thrilling Tales 2nd Edition setting from Adamant Entertainment for more pulpy goodness.

I suspect this is why no pulp toolkit is in the pipeline. Between the 2 of those you're covered for all the pulp subgenres and they're not that expensive.

That's what I was thinking as well. Quite possible that's the reason they've abandoned the idea of a revised Pulp toolkit. While I certainly wouldn't object to an official Pulp Companion, there is a lot of licensed material out there that kinda has it covered already. Also, Savage Worlds is already kinda pulpy by nature. While specific rulesets, setting specific changes and tips for setting the tone are definitely interesting, you don't really need much to run a succesful pulp style game in Savage Worlds that you can't find in the core book.
"Did I fire six shots, or only five? Three? Seven. Whatever." - Unkempt Harold

Virgobrown72
Heroic

#6 Postby Virgobrown72 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:49 pm

I still have the original Pulp Toolkit and Pulp Gear books. Most of that stuff still holds up well. A new version would be slick though...
"That which does not kill me, makes me Shaken..."

ExoKnight
Novice

#7 Postby ExoKnight » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:33 pm

Companion books are by far my favorite PEG products. I would love to see a compiled Pulp Companion. Would also love to see a Post Apocalypse one too. Would buy them in a second.

Deskepticon
Veteran

#8 Postby Deskepticon » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:05 am

I'm just wondering what a Post Apoc book would contain that can't already be cobbled together from the existing Companions/Core rules...

Freemage
Veteran

#9 Postby Freemage » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:20 am

Some setting-specific rules, I think, would be the biggest element, as well as rules for scavenging, degrading and kit-bashing gear. A system of barter for such settings would need to be addressed, as well. Discussions of community-building would be a key element.

Those rules could, in turn, lead to a handful of new Edges, probably using Scavenger and the like as a baseline; maybe some Leadership Edges for helping your community survive, that sort of thing. A flavor section describing the differences between various apocalyptic scenarios, and how those affect the post-apoc world that follows, would probably be a good way to go, too.

I'd also be interested in a Spy/Mystery Companion, though I'm less certain about how the specifics would play out, there--it's a tougher fit for Savage Worlds to do investigations and heavy-stealth campaigns (stealth-heavy missions, sure, but too much sneaking makes things less FFF, at least in the standard rules set).

Deskepticon
Veteran

#10 Postby Deskepticon » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:41 am

Point taken...

However, Broken Earth has some pretty concise Scavenging rules for both specific items and general scavving. It also has a very detailed Community Builder.

travelingeek
Novice

#11 Postby travelingeek » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:26 pm

I would love some new print books for pulp goodies.

stormwell
Seasoned

#12 Postby stormwell » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:18 pm

Well regarding the Pulp Gear Toolkit I've adapted and partially updated the aircraft creation rules.

fanchergw
Heroic

#13 Postby fanchergw » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:20 pm

ExoKnight wrote:Would also love to see a Post Apocalypse one too. Would buy them in a second.

There was a Kickstarter last summer from Daring Entertainment for this. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2092114443/apocalypse-campaign-guide-savage-worlds.

Regards, Gordon

ExoKnight
Novice

#14 Postby ExoKnight » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:52 pm

I will check that out once it is officially released. Very cool.

Return to “SW Pinnacle Original Settings & Companions”