[RIPPERS RESURRECTED] Campaign advice

Information and comments on all Pinnacle original Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [NE] for Necessary Evil, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below as do licensed settings.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Thewightman
Novice

[RIPPERS RESURRECTED] Campaign advice

#1 Postby Thewightman » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:38 am

Hello fellow savages

For our resident wizard guy: stay off this thread please, you know why.

I'm a new GM and new forum member, and i was hoping if i could get some advice on the first campaign i'm running: a rippers game.

My party consists of a bar thug turned rogue, played by a new player who i myself introduced to RPGs, a rookie samurai played by another fresh RPGer though not a fresh nerd, a psychotic battle nun played by our regular GM who knows all the books by heart (including the statblocks), a platemail wearing holy knight (in training) played by our smash-happy veteran player, a psychology proffessor played by our mechanical nerd friend, and a loveably nice master of the bearhug played by our resident nice guy.

Anyway, i have several thinks to work on for my group, but what i'd like to ask of the forums right now is if they know any outlandish and unknown monsters to throw at my players for them to wonder over. Werewolves and vampires are fun, but everyone knows their weaknesses, making it a lot easier.

Freemage
Veteran

Re: [RIPPERS RESURRECTED] Campaign advice

#2 Postby Freemage » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:26 am

Well, first off, remember that there's a lot of lore out there about all of the 'standard' monsters. Not all the legends align. So a "werewolf" can actually range from the Hollywood/World of Darkness model (big furry guy with claws and fangs) to more literal transformation (often using a pelt of some sort). Other animal-shifters are common as well, particularly of the skin-stealing variety. Jaguar-men of south america, for instance.

Chinese Vampires are more akin to wraiths that drain your life force, while Japanese "hopping vampires" will freak out someone expecting count dracula--especially when the cross does nothing, but spilled rice forces them to stop and count the grains. Even European vampires vary considerably, and there's a whole host of different ways of putting them down for good based on the country of origin: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/37/whats-the-best-way-to-kill-a-vampire

Now, moving on....

I strongly suggest picking up a book of folklore. These can be remarkable sourcebooks for this sort of thing. Carol Rose has two encyclopedias out--Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth and Spirits, Fairies, Leprechauns, and Goblins: An Encyclopedia. I highly recommend both. Among other features, they contain 'by nation' listings in the background, making it easy to come up with critter-lists for, say, a trip to Mexico or Japan. Just read an entry, figure out how to translate the key bits into gamespeak, and you're done.

Now, if you want something a bit more esoteric, go with the Imp of the Perverse, from the Edgar Allen Poe story of the same name. This horrible little creature whispers in the ears of men, slowly driving them to greater acts of depravity. It's not a powerful combatant, but natural invisibility and subtle manipulation makes it a very dangerous thing to be around. A big part of Rippers is trying to maintain your social standing as you fight the Cabal; if the party neglects this aspect, the Imp could take advantage of that opening by creating chaso among the aristocracy.

Deskepticon
Veteran

#3 Postby Deskepticon » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:58 pm

Honestly, all you really need is the internet. With a simple "weirdest folklore" search you can find a bunch of good material. From the leprechaun's drunk cousin to a Japanesse demon that licks your bathroom clean. Of course, there's plenty of macabre things out there too. Specific to England you have the Black Shuck and the ever-awesome Spring-heeled Jack.

Thewightman
Novice

#4 Postby Thewightman » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:04 pm

Thanks for the tips people. I'm looking into it now, but i forsee something else rearing it's head soon.
What do the players need money for in RR? What costs do they have? Do they need to sustain themselves (my guess they do) and if so what are the costs for this?
What else costs them money other then the helpfull items in the gear lists? I've looked for answers to these questions, but i must be missing it in the books. All i can find are there monthly incomes, and no costs whatsoever. At this rate, even a status 2 PC can easily afford everything on the list with no effort put into it, and i don't quite think that that is what the designers had in mind.

serquet
Novice

#5 Postby serquet » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:43 pm

Thewightman wrote:Thanks for the tips people. I'm looking into it now, but i forsee something else rearing it's head soon.
What do the players need money for in RR? What costs do they have? Do they need to sustain themselves (my guess they do) and if so what are the costs for this?
What else costs them money other then the helpfull items in the gear lists? I've looked for answers to these questions, but i must be missing it in the books. All i can find are there monthly incomes, and no costs whatsoever. At this rate, even a status 2 PC can easily afford everything on the list with no effort put into it, and i don't quite think that that is what the designers had in mind.

There are a number of things Rippers might needs money for : specialized gear for specific threats, travel and lodging costs, bribes, etc. and you as the GM will decide how much these things might cost. In term of characters with higher status/wealth, the trick may be to put them in situations where they might not be able to access their funds, since they're not going to be carrying all their wealth on them all the time (remote wilderness, run on the bank, telegraph down, etc). Ultimately, though, it's up to you and your players to decide how big a role money will play in your campaign. If you just don't want to bother with keeping track, you can gloss over it most of the time.
Creator of ETU living campaign : The Corvus Conspiracy https://etuclassof2019.wordpress.com/

travelingeek
Novice

#6 Postby travelingeek » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:52 am

Reading horror novels and such from other countries can help pull up some ideas. I'm a big fan of Algernon Blackwood, he writes Ghost stories mainly, but they are ripe for pillaging scene setting for Rippers.

Lancashire Folk-lore: Illustrative of the Superstitious Beliefs and Practices, Local Customs and Usages of the People of the County Palatine
, by. T.T. Wilkonson and Goblin Tales of Lancashire, by. James Bowker, are both really good. Bokwer's book is free on Project Gutenberg.

Return to “SW Pinnacle Original Settings & Companions”