[ETU] Scary Texas

Information and comments on all Pinnacle original Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [NE] for Necessary Evil, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below as do licensed settings.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Sitting Duck
Legendary

Re: [ETU] Scary Texas

#21 Postby Sitting Duck » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:54 pm

Something of interest I came across when rereading Weird U.S. is the Bragg Road Ghost Light, located in the Big Thicket.
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

DMbobby
Seasoned

#22 Postby DMbobby » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:06 pm

Reminds me of my "Big Book of Urban Legends" I found at Half Priced Books a few years back, been my go to resource when I need ETU lore
New blog up and running, http://gmtable.blogspot.com/ Reviews, adventures, tips and tricks for GMs

DMbobby
Seasoned

#23 Postby DMbobby » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:23 pm

ETU Update:

Character's encountered the released leprechaun who got the drop on the Trouble Magnet. The magnet then immediately negotiated with the creature, made friends and the team then spent the entire adventure working with the leprechaun which involved the Trouble Magnet getting cursed (right before making friends but it did last all session). Everyone then threw a pizza party with spinach and green pepper pizzas where 64 people plus a local DJ showed up.

At the party a flyer for the Brazen Hussy Brewery having a reopening hosted by the Mayor's Aid who now wear's the missing gold coin as a pin. On the way to town to get the leprechaun's gold coin there was a small car wreck that involved the leprechaun shooting through a windshield and bouncing down the road. This left one character waiting on a tow truck, the cursed character walked the rest of the way and the other two driving to Pinebox Pawn to ask about fake IDs to get into the brewery. This lead to Pizza Barn where Archie the annoying roommate is found working both making pizzas and fake IDs.

The group has a few hours to kill so they show the leprechaun "Mr. Green" around town showing him all the awesome stuff of the modern world. He "accidentally kills a woman in a bathroom after learning to flirt, but only the Law major sees the body and he keeps his mouth shut. The group then gets to the brewery where the reopening is a bust with only 8 guests. They decide to help out the Mayer's Aid and talk him into making the brewery an 18+ club with a cover charge and wrist bands for 21+ customers to drink, this plus getting word out turns it into a 200+ people rager including hiring Jury of Robots to play, this is all used as a distraction to lift the pin off the aid.

After the party everyone wakes up on the brewery floor including Mr. Green spooning GlenMac. Everyone piles up in cars, GlenMac is officially introduced to Mr. Green without his human disguise, and they go to GlenMac's office where the curse is lifted and Mr. Green gets his coin. With all his coins Mr. Green can leave ETU, but decides to chuck the coin out the window so he can stay and keep partying. The characters get a faculty password to both finally fix their frat's pledge records and take the time to add Mr. "Patrick" Green as a student and member of the frat.

Couple things to note. This adventure may have referenced more book specific locations and characters than any other single adventure. Other than a single attack by the leprechaun when first trying to get the drop on the Trouble Magnet there was not a single round of combat in this entire adventure this week. Everything was role played out and solved with montages or skill checks.
New blog up and running, http://gmtable.blogspot.com/ Reviews, adventures, tips and tricks for GMs

JamesG
Seasoned

#24 Postby JamesG » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:53 am

Nice summary!

DMbobby wrote: [The leprechaun] "accidentally kills a woman in a bathroom after learning to flirt, but only the Law major sees the body and he keeps his mouth shut.

So I guess the law major is a little... let's say "morally challenged". Looking the other way at what sounds like, at best, manslaughter is not exactly upstanding. lol

DMbobby
Seasoned

#25 Postby DMbobby » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:56 am

It most certainly isn't and he as a player tends to walk the grey line, but in this case it was much more of a "hey this thing is dangerous and adding cops right now won't help anyone" type of situation.

Snate56
Legendary

#26 Postby Snate56 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:06 pm

Was it supposed to kill a woman? ...or was that something you threw in for spice?

SteveN
"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reasons."
>Mark Twain<

DMbobby
Seasoned

#27 Postby DMbobby » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:49 pm

It was a montage/dramatic task and any club it did something evil. Happen to be the only club of the set.

JamesG
Seasoned

#28 Postby JamesG » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:13 am

DMbobby wrote:It most certainly isn't and he as a player tends to walk the grey line, but in this case it was much more of a "hey this thing is dangerous and adding cops right now won't help anyone" type of situation.

Oh yeah, that I can understand. I was more commenting on the fact that later when Mr. Green decided to stay they hooked him up with fake student credentials. Instead of trying to banish him or something. Maybe they wanted to mollify him while they worked on banishment behind his back...

DMbobby
Seasoned

#29 Postby DMbobby » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:24 pm

Got you, thing is only one student saw the victim and didn't tell anyone. Things got so crazy and there was so much drinking with the party that happened after he forgot to tell the others and my group luckily will roll play bad ideas if they know their characters don't know any better. In character everyone but one person has totally forgotten this thing is evil and even he is hazy about if he remembers it or dreamed it at this point. Out of game he's been telling me how this is going to end so badly for all of them, but that's part of ETU watching mistakes blow up in your face later down the road.

lordrahvin
Novice

#30 Postby lordrahvin » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:49 pm

Thee For The Show

This originally started out as The Show Must Go On, a one-shot for two PCs. One PC is a journalist investigating the other for his paranoid-conspiracy blog, and the other is trying to get tutoring lessons from Missy Jordon so that he doesn't get kicked out of school. Missy has joined in this year's Winter Production, an annual tradition and a big fundraising/PR event for the school. Upon entering the theater, the two find themselves caught in a whirlwind of theatrical drama and suddenly find themselves recruited into the performance. They are pretty okay with this once Missy explains that being part of the play means they get extra credit for some of their classes. This, combined with the fact that most of the drama club has quit and the director is desperate for recruits piques the attention of the amateur blogger, who decides to use the opportunity for some undercover reporting.

While the production usually happens in one of ETU's smaller theaters, this older part of the building has recently been opened up for putting on this show. Much of it still needs cleaning and is in a state of disrepair. It soon becomes clear that a malevolent spirit is trying to stop the production by performing certain pranks, accidents, and hallucinations which are mostly the height of its abilities. Despite this, the show carries forward. Teachers are instructed by their deans to grant extra credit and other allowances for students participating in the important production. The new director himself - an out-of-towner who just recently replaced a local director that quit -- also seems to be under a great deal of stress and has taken up chain smoking. The first session ends in a direct confrontation as the ghost tries to strangle the young journalist. While he is inadvertently saved by the other PC, no one else notices or believes the assaulted player character. That character is moved to stage support, where it becomes his job to check on the rigging and overhead lights and make sure they are fastened properly. While performing this task the spirit tries to make contact with the character. The character gets away, but not before the ghost manages to groan,"He's coming."

When we come back for the second session, I've realized it's going to be a three-parter and so now I've renamed the adventure Three For The Show. This time we have almost the whole cast, and most are given parts in the play while a couple are additional stage hands. One is a curious new student who isn't even enrolled in classes yet and even he finds himself given a part. Even though there's only a couple weeks before the play, the old director is gone and there's a new director. It's very clear he's not the one in charge though -- since a new character walks in and claims to be personally taking charge of the production. It's too important to leave such a thing to chance any more, and he's decided to handle it himself -- along with his assistant, a stuttering hunchback named Rasul who calls him "Master."

When asked who he is, he replies something like, "My apologies, I assumed it was obvious. I am... The Showmaster!" The Showmaster is a flamboyant over-the-top attention-seeker for whom this production (and theater in general) is of paramount importance. He talks like a cliche hollywood producer. He says things like "Together, we are going to do something incredible, something never before done in the history of student theater..." and "Big things are going to happen. Big, big things. It's going to be huge!" But he also puts subtle hints and threats into many of these statements and gives some odd advice. "Umm... we haven't reheased this..." "Sir, your whole life has been a rehearsal for this very moment! Now show me some magic!"

The Showmaster announces that he has a new version of the script... an older, original version of the The Midnight Managerie. Each student is given only a portion of the script covering their lines, so no one really knows what the play is about. One character is given the role of Gentleman Caller #3, while another is given the role of The Lion Tamer, another is the Strong Man, and Missy Jordon (the self-proclaimed star of the show, a view later reinforced by The Showmaster) is given the role of The Enchantress (often referred to by characters in the script as 'the witch').

That night, one of the party members tries to research The Midnight Managerie and discovers the play has something of a grim history. A playwright who hadn't produced anything major suddenly found functioning in the 60s for a big theatrical production, but the night before it's first open, one of the actresses went crazy and started murdering the rest of the cast. The woman was committed to a psychiatric hospital. Most of the actors and staff were killed. The writer/director went into hiding and was never seen again.

Meanwhile, the other characters invited the rest of the cast out to dinner at The Pizza Barn. While there, they attempted to get copies of everyone's scripts and take pictures. Rehearsals were happening almost all day now, with the opening day getting close and most of the cast still unclear about their roles or lines. When President Nelson was approached by the amateur blogger, he seemed very annoyed and angered about the whole thing. When asked about the Showmaster, President Nelson didn't have much comment except to say he was seeing to the matter and suggested to the player character that he not have anything to do with this man. (The players never really found out about it, but the Showmaster was assigned by the School Board, and only President Nelson really knows who he is or what he's capable of.)

Over the next two days (between rehearsals) some of the players sacrifice sleep to research the history of this play or piece together the script so they can learn what the Showmaster doesn't want them to know. They discover the basic plot of the play -- there's some sort of circus, and a broken-hearted witch has placed a curse on all the animals so that they will become beasts and start slaughtering the audience. Learning of the witches plans, the circus' manager attempts to get some of the staff to seduce the witch, but the plan backfires and it only fuels her anger. There's a couple of other little subplots. By the end of the play, everyone -- everyone -- is dead.

While trying to hit up Missy for tutoring lessons, one of the player's also discovers a grim subplot involving Missy Jordon. Apparently, her young little brother (and up-and-coming bass guitarist) Billy has been kidnapped by The Showmaster's "assistant". The other day Missy went to complain about some of her lines, saying that if she's the star of the show, all of her lines should really be English. She barged into the director's office where he was in mid argument with the Showmaster. "I just don't see why we need this Latin crap," It's not Latin, he said, "it's so much older and more elegant than that. It is the one true primordial tongue." That's when she complained that she couldn't even pronounce half these lines. "The Showmaster... he said... he said I simply lacked motivation. That's when he showed me the picture of Billy. When I got home, Billy wasn't there." A group of players went with Missy and reviewed the security tapes on her property... it showed Billy's abduction pretty clearly. Like someone wanted her to see it.

The players promised Missy they would get Billy back, and started investigating the assistant. They realize that it might be easier to find the assistant rather than the Showmaster himself. It turns out, he wasn't nearly as hard to research as The Showmaster. He was just an ordinary guy. A couple weeks ago, he was a trucker bringing some crops into Pinebox when he suffered an accident along the freeway. The details are still kind of hazy, but his truck was totaled and he was left permanently paralyzed from the neck down. A few days ago, he had a visitor in the hospital (his first and only). Shortly afterward, much to everyone's surprise, he checked himself out of the hospital and walked out with the visitor. It's not hard to find information about him, but nothing relevant as to his current whereabouts or activities.

This second session ends with one of the players (the danger-oblivious amateur blogger) approaching the Showmaster, wanting to know more about him, and confronting him with everything he knows already. The Showmaster agrees to answer all of his questions in his office. He leads the blogger into his office. "There's something strange about the office, and it leaves you so stunned that it takes you a moment to realize what it is. There's the usual office trappings - desk, chairs, file cabinet, etc. But the right wall is missing. Instead, the opening where the wall would be extends out into a massive circus scene, complete with animals and performers."

As the player approaches the wall to investigate, the Showmaster shoves him front behind, and the player finds himself actually in a circus. There's no portal or anything behind him. He is totally alone and unclear how he's going to get back. Meanwhile, while searching for clues, one of the PCs finds himself trapped in the bathroom. The door locks, and the room gets very, very cold all of a sudden. All the sinks start spraying hot water, and the steam fogs up the mirror as a message starts showing in the writing.

And that's where session #2 ends. I'll try to get around to editing this to include session #3 soon.

lordrahvin
Novice

#31 Postby lordrahvin » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:18 pm

Sitting Duck wrote:Something of interest I came across when rereading Weird U.S. is the Bragg Road Ghost Light, located in the Big Thicket.

During Three For The Show, it was revealed that the drama club found a whole bunch of old props in a locked chest in one of the old rooms that had been boarded up. When they opened up the stage, they discovered this chest and pried it open -- and it was full of great props! The players have identified one of the props as an artifact from occult lore, but they don't know its exact properties. They managed to switch it for another mask so it is now in their possession, but they've just hidden it away with some of their other recovered relics they don't know much about.

The masked served as a red herring early in the first session, but In a future episode, it's going to be revealed that the Ghost Lights of Bragg Road are the spectral light of a monovalent spirit. It's the spirit of a faceless man with a lantern "looking for his face". And the PCs are going to have to decide quickly what to do with that mask as this threat gets closer and closer to ETU.

This is yet another tie-in showing the activities of the Class Protectors in the '50s and how some of their good work is starting to become undone.

Return to “SW Pinnacle Original Settings & Companions”