[SFC] Titanfall Ideas?

Information and comments on all Pinnacle original Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [NE] for Necessary Evil, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below as do licensed settings.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Ascalon
Novice

[SFC] Titanfall Ideas?

#1 Postby Ascalon » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:08 pm

Hey there. I've recently been thinking about doing a Titanfall inspired game. Each PC would have a mech, and theoretically operate both within and without the mech throughout the game. I want to allow the players to customize their mechs, and hopefully become somewhat attached to them, but I'm not sure how to balance them. I thought I'd start them with a base chassis, and give them a budget to work with, but what if someone wants to play a heavier/lighter mech? And how much should I make available for starting mech-customization-funds if they begin at Novice? I want them to feel awesome, but not make them overpowered. Does anyone have any advice that could help with this?

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: [SFC] Titanfall Ideas?

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:53 pm

SFC Walker rules.
Give everyone the same base chassis, and then let them customize it with Mods. Heavy models load up on Reinforced Frame and Armor; Light models rock the base Toughness. Do a sanity check to make sure they didn't go too overboard, and add an AI to all of the Titans (d10 Trait, no wild die). Don't worry much about cash value, just make sure the build fits a theme that would actually be used ("preying mantis" jumping, mobile, melee striker; "artillery barrage" with lots of missile launchers; "rescue dog" pace, passenger space, maybe some shields, to go into hostile zones, rescue hostages, and run back to base; and so forth).

Given the promotional materials (I haven't played either game), I'd advise using Medium as the standard issue chassis. With 25 mods, that leaves a lot of room to customize but not so much that it will be overwhelming.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Deskepticon
Veteran

#3 Postby Deskepticon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:58 am

Officially, Titans are 20' tall, making them Light Walkers... though bumping them up to Medium should be fine if you want the extra Toughness and Mod slots. The list of mods on page 60-61 of the SFC should cover everything you need to replicate a Titan (though you might want to replace Jump Jets with a Dash mod instead, to keep with the source material).

For the Smart Pistol, I might require the Aim maneuver to "lock on" first, which then functions as a fire-and-forget weapon.

Phasma Felis
Seasoned

#4 Postby Phasma Felis » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:04 pm

If you're worried about them being overpowered, you might cut down their starting Mods substantially, and let them take Edges ("Gearhead"? "Tinkerer"?) to open up mod slots, representing that you've gotten familiar enough with the machine to tune or upgrade it without screwing everything up.

Or skip the first one and keep the second, whichever. :)

Maybe cap Armor/Toughness in some way, relative to the weapons you expect the baddies to have?

Return to “SW Pinnacle Original Settings & Companions”