Super Power Companion Invisibility Limitation?

Information and comments on all Pinnacle original Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [NE] for Necessary Evil, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below as do licensed settings.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Heroforhire
Novice

Super Power Companion Invisibility Limitation?

#1 Postby Heroforhire » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:50 pm

Invisibility allows gear to turn invisible, but if you take the personal modifier it does not. But what if you want to create a invisible person like 2005 Fantastic 4 Invisible Girl who could not turn gear invisible unless using special gear like her costume. Would that be a lesser version of personal worth only -1 point? And would personal also be able to be used as a modifier for Intangibility?

Deskepticon
Veteran

Re: Super Power Companion Invisibility Limitation?

#2 Postby Deskepticon » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:54 am

Yeah, I would give that a -1 Limitation. Alternatively, I would also allow a character to spend a full action to affect any gear/items worn/carried at the time of activation as a -1 Limitation.

As for Intangibility, I suppose if you really wanted to you could apply a -2 Personal modifier, but then as soon as you activate the power all your clothes and gear would fall to the floor. Not sure anyone would want that, even if the penalty were bumped up to -5 or so.

Clint
Site Admin

#3 Postby Clint » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:24 pm

Heroforhire wrote:Invisibility allows gear to turn invisible, but if you take the personal modifier it does not. But what if you want to create a invisible person like 2005 Fantastic 4 Invisible Girl who could not turn gear invisible unless using special gear like her costume. Would that be a lesser version of personal worth only -1 point?

Depends, I guess. If more like the movie where the only thing she could affect was her costume as there really wasn't anything else made of that material, then I'd say it's more of a trapping with the full penalty applied. It's basically a single special condition that effectively keeps the game from going R-rated every time the character uses their power.

If it's more of a limit like the character can turn other items invisible but only a number of pounds equal to their Spirit die type which has to include worn clothing, then I might put that more as a -1 Limitation. It's not the inability to affect anything just only a much smaller amount than the power could usually affect.

Heroforhire wrote:And would personal also be able to be used as a modifier for Intangibility?

That's ultimately a decision for the GM, but I personally wouldn't allow it at the same discount as Invisibility. Personal directly impacts the use of Invisibility (halving the penalty and making them obvious) where it wouldn't impact the actual mechanics of Intangibility just slightly affect its usefulness.

It'd be possible to even work that in solely as a trapping if an equivalent benefit was added to balance it out.

Hope that helps1
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Heroforhire
Novice

#4 Postby Heroforhire » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:10 pm

Thanks.

So some one like the kid from Power pack Jack Powers who could turn into mist or in his case cloudy, gaseous form. But until he got his costume he would pass through his clothes. So that would be done as a trapping and would get the costume for free, but classify it as personal without gaining the 2 point discount.

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#5 Postby Sitting Duck » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:02 am

For your amusement, I once posted the following on Savagepedia in the Unofficial Modifiers section.

Streaker (-1/-3): Like H.G. Wells' Invisible Man, only your actual body turns invisible. Clothes and any items being held can still be seen. With the -1 version, your superhero/villain costume (and only the costume) has been specially designed to turn invisible with you. With the -3 version, you'll have to strip down completely to use your power for more than discretely peeking around corners. In such cases, GMs may wish to bone up on Fatigue rules regarding cold. The character will also be on the lookout for conveniently placed obstructions in case the opposition is packing nullifiers on the chance that a stray shot may hit.
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

Clint
Site Admin

#6 Postby Clint » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:14 pm

Heroforhire wrote:So some one like the kid from Power pack Jack Powers who could turn into mist or in his case cloudy, gaseous form. But until he got his costume he would pass through his clothes. So that would be done as a trapping and would get the costume for free, but classify it as personal without gaining the 2 point discount.

Again, depends on the GM and if there might be some advantage to balance out that limitation as part of the trappings.

Without an advantage, I might figure it as a -1 Limitation on the power as there is some restriction to it (can't carry any item to use in a location intangibly or sneak in, grab something, and get out with it, etc.) It's not the -2 of Personal for Invisibility but its something.
Clint Black

Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “SW Pinnacle Original Settings & Companions”