[SPC2] Fishing for villain ideas

Information and comments on all Pinnacle original Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [NE] for Necessary Evil, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below as do licensed settings.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

lunchbox3000
Novice

[SPC2] Fishing for villain ideas

#1 Postby lunchbox3000 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:01 pm

I'm always at a loss coming up with cool concepts for characters that do not start as numbers. I am about to join a game soon of supers. The catch is we only get 5 power points to start and can take 1 major hindrance for 5 more. This seems very limiting and we can get more powers at each rank. What I really need though are several solid ideas for characters. I was leaning towards some kind of matter control and I am thinking earth/stone as well it's everywhere. Please help.

Stonefur
Novice

Re: [SPC2] Fishing for villain ideas

#2 Postby Stonefur » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:28 pm

Gravedigger - mild mannered college kid working summer job digging at the city cemetery. After a night of heavy rain, there is a sinkhole that swallows the crew. Kid saves the day with miraculous earth powers.

Klaive - Orphaned on the streets of paris, Klaive survived until his teenage years, when he stole from a group of visiting Asian religious dignitaries. Instead of punishing him with prison, they adopted him, and took him back to the remote mountain temple of the Tiger Claw Sen Po to learn the ways of Kung fu. You became a knife master, and expert martial artist after 6 years of daily training. One night, you awoke to smoke and flames. The corrupt government was demanding taxes. The Sifu gave you the clan hierloom, "The Tiger'a Claw", the real target of the raid. Armed with a powerful, and priceless artifact, you are on the run while seeking your vengeance.

Just a few ideas there...
Fifty pounds of cow manure plus fifty pounds of ice cream equals one hundred pounds of cow manure. :!:

Freemage
Veteran

#3 Postby Freemage » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:17 am

Rock Mason is an actual Mason (a member of the Masonic Lodge), even if it's just as the assistant archivist. Recently, he discovered a trowel, dusty and stuck with dried concrete, just laid in a box in the back of the archives room. Picking it up, he saw an odd symbol on it, and curiously cleaned it off. Doing so released its magical powers, granting him control over all forms of earth and stone. (It'd be up to you if you want to take the Device modifier for the power or not.)

Deskepticon
Veteran

#4 Postby Deskepticon » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:35 am

Steve the Rock
The character is literally a rock with aspirations to fly. For hundreds upon hundreds of mind-numbingly dull years Steve would just stare at the sky, watching the clouds, the birds, and whatever else crossed his line of vision. His dreams came true sometime during the post-industrial age when Steve was first uprooted and subsequently dumped into a landfill... then covered with chemical waste byproducts. Steve had soon discovered he could alter his mass at will. He could become as large as a boulder or as small as a pebble whenever he wanted. Furthermore, he could also launch himself into the air. While it's not quite true flight (yet!), it is still pretty sweet.

Steve has levels in Growth, Shrink and Leaping. He enjoys flinging himself in the air, increasing his size, and dropping down onto objects and people, crushing them.

lunchbox3000
Novice

#5 Postby lunchbox3000 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:59 am

Deskepticon wrote:Steve the Rock
The character is literally a rock with aspirations to fly. For hundreds upon hundreds of mind-numbingly dull years Steve would just stare at the sky, watching the clouds, the birds, and whatever else crossed his line of vision. His dreams came true sometime during the post-industrial age when Steve was first uprooted and subsequently dumped into a landfill... then covered with chemical waste byproducts. Steve had soon discovered he could alter his mass at will. He could become as large as a boulder or as small as a pebble whenever he wanted. Furthermore, he could also launch himself into the air. While it's not quite true flight (yet!), it is still pretty sweet.

Steve has levels in Growth, Shrink and Leaping. He enjoys flinging himself in the air, increasing his size, and dropping down onto objects and people, crushing them.

I loved all of these ideas but for some reason this seems hilarious and may be how I build him. The catch now is that I can only be one of four different races which are Human, Atlantean, Hybrid, and Revenant. I might be able to say that the Revenant is what happened to the rock to give him sentience and powers. When the bombs changed the humans they also happened to change Steve. Now to pick some stats.

lordrahvin
Novice

#6 Postby lordrahvin » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:23 pm

These were some of my favorite villains in the last superhero campaign I ran. Maybe they'll be useful to you...

Broadcast
Power Source: Psychic, Alien
Powers: Broadcast can create portals to the television world where he controls everything.
Alien Power Boost: Broadcast retains control even when pulling things out of the television world.
Agenda: A sociopath seeking attention, glory, and fun at any cost.
Complication: Without a nearby television or radio set, Broadcast has no effective powers.

Nightmare
Power Source: Psychic
Powers: Can take a portion of his demented mind and implant it in people, driving them insane.
Agenda: A sociopath seeking to corrupt virtuous and brave souls that harbor dark secrets.
Complication: Nightmare’s hold on his victims can be broken if their secrets are exposed.

The Green Man
Power Source: Magical
Powers: Has an assortment of magic spells, plus the ability to siphon and steal magical energy.
Agenda: A loyal servant of dark forces who has been promised regency of the faerie realm.
Complication: The Green Man loves his family, and won’t let his wife or daughters come to harm.
(This was the father of one of the PCs.)

Diamondatrix
Power Source: Training
Powers: Trained in martial arts and equipped with smoke grenades and diamond-tipped claws.
Agenda: Obsessed with diamonds, and turns to thievery for the thrills and promise of fast cash.
Complication: She has a psychological dependency on her luxurious and decadent lifestyle.

Here is a more extensive bio I wrote for Broadcast sometime back after an "Ultimate Reboot" had me changing all the characters into modern, younger versions:

Samuel D. Baiksin has spent most of his childhood hearing voices. At first they were like a small buzzing that would come and go, but over time his condition got worse and worse. He frequently grew distracted by the sounds he heard, and sometimes would focus on them to the point where he heard nothing else. At night, the sounds would keep him awake.

His parents grew concerned and had him examined by medical doctors and psychiatric professionals, but neither could explain his unusual behavior. He became rebellious and troubled, eventually running away from home at the age of thirteen. By then it was no longer simply noise he heard, but voices. Given effort, he could focus on them and listen to them. It didn't take him much longer after that to realize the voices got louder and more distinct as he approached television sets, telephones, and radios. He soon learned that the signals produced and received by these devices were the noises he heard.

His unusual abilities did not stop there. Samuel spent his teenage years exploring his unusual gift, practicing the abilities they gave him. By focusing his gaze or his hearing, he could tap into surveillance cameras and police radios to alter their transmissions. He could listen in on hundreds of news networks at once, including those the public weren't allowed access to. And if he wanted to, he could silence them all.

At the age of sixteen, Samuel Balksin has made the public aware of his psychic abilities, donning a supervillain outfit and calling himself Broadcast. He is regarded by law enforcement as a minor criminal, but his activities have been getting more and more ambitious. Due to concern over the limits of his abilities, many government intelligence and military agencies have him on their watch lists and believe he a is a very dangerous threat.

Unfortunately, his abilities allow him to evade most modern forms of surveillance, tracking, and pursuit. It's been reported that he has even more fantastical abilities, that allow him to physically merge with machines and even transmit his physical body through devices over a radio or electrical signal.

drone4416
Novice

#7 Postby drone4416 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:42 am

Here is a villain that I never got to do but he is weird and in that power range. If you pick up more powerpoints at novice and do super karma you can start with this weirdo

Chuckles the Creepy Clown.
Stats don't matter much just powers
(4)Teleport(3): Transference(3), Limitation only works in wooded areas and closets(-2), you know that slasher killer teleport that is what I was thinking for this.
(3)Fear(3): Terror(2), Scary(-2), the creepiest clown you have ever seen. Also the clown makeup never comes off and can't come off.
(2)Fearless: Chuckles fears nothing
(3)Altered Form: Exaggerated features, no vital organs, and can't be killed by falls or collisions. Everything a killer clown needs. Oh god is he unhinging his jaw.
(1)Ageless: He just never seems to age. Just to add to the creepiness
(2)Immune to poison and disease: All good clowns eat Arsenic Flakes for breakfast right...right.

From there you can expand as needed you could give him slasher strength, weird magic powers, illusions to make carnivals, attack melee to put a little more force behind that bite.

Pleasant Dreams Everyone :twisted:
Party: Why can't we sneak in.
Me: You had me bring a mini-gun.

Clint
Site Admin

#8 Postby Clint » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:00 pm

The Excavator

Joe "Bull" Dozier was a typical blue collar heavy machinery operator, the epitome of an "average joe." Hired to grade a lot for construction, Joe's backhoe hit containers of "radioactive sludge" buried on the lot. Trying to get away, Joe slipped in the sludge and fell into a pile of loose dirt. He lost consciousness and awoke in a hospital feeling sick and in pain.

While the doctors tried to help him, no one took responsibility for what happened, not his employer, the people who owned the land, nor the government. In fact, Joe's condition was blamed on his own negligence, leaving him and his parents responsible for quickly mounting medical bills. Joe finally snapped upon learning his elderly father died from a heart attack while working a second job to help pay for his son's bills.

He dragged himself from the hospital bed and took an elevator from his upper floor room to the ground level. As he got closer to the ground, Joe felt better and better. Walking out the front door, a security guard tried to stop him but a fist of earth reached up from the ground grabbing the man. Joe realized the dirt hand was clenched exactly as his own. With a smile, he turned and walked away.

Quote: "They thought they could bury me, but the Excavator will bury them instead!"

Armor: +4, Requires Activation (Earth covered) - 1
Attack, Melee: +1d6 Contingent on Armor (earthen fist) - 1
Burrowing: 2
Matter Control (Earth): Level 2, Str d12 - 4

2 points left to customize.

Hindrances:
Allergy (Minor): If more than 6' off the ground
Dependent (Major): Mother
Greedy (Minor): From fear of being in debt again.
Vengeful (Major): Wants payback
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

lunchbox3000
Novice

#9 Postby lunchbox3000 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:30 pm

Clint wrote:The Excavator

Joe "Bull" Dozier was a typical blue collar heavy machinery operator, the epitome of an "average joe." Hired to grade a lot for construction, Joe's backhoe hit containers of "radioactive sludge" buried on the lot. Trying to get away, Joe slipped in the sludge and fell into a pile of loose dirt. He lost consciousness and awoke in a hospital feeling sick and in pain.

While the doctors tried to help him, no one took responsibility for what happened, not his employer, the people who owned the land, nor the government. In fact, Joe's condition was blamed on his own negligence, leaving him and his parents responsible for quickly mounting medical bills. Joe finally snapped upon learning his elderly father died from a heart attack while working a second job to help pay for his son's bills.

He dragged himself from the hospital bed and took an elevator from his upper floor room to the ground level. As he got closer to the ground, Joe felt better and better. Walking out the front door, a security guard tried to stop him but a fist of earth reached up from the ground grabbing the man. Joe realized the dirt hand was clenched exactly as his own. With a smile, he turned and walked away.

Quote: "They thought they could bury me, but the Excavator will bury them instead!"

Armor: +4, Requires Activation (Earth covered) - 1
Attack, Melee: +1d6 Contingent on Armor (earthen fist) - 1
Burrowing: 2
Matter Control (Earth): Level 2, Str d12 - 4

2 points left to customize.

Hindrances:
Allergy (Minor): If more than 6' off the ground
Dependent (Major): Mother
Greedy (Minor): From fear of being in debt again.
Vengeful (Major): Wants payback

I went with this idea and I am loving it the game I am in. I made matter control require the material for now and added construct to it. I also added a point of armor. Even though I did not give him much as far as fighting ability he rocks. Thanks a lot

Return to “SW Pinnacle Original Settings & Companions”