[Rippers Resurrected] Jack's Back **Spoilers**

Information and comments on all Pinnacle original Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [NE] for Necessary Evil, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below as do licensed settings.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Kaandorian
Novice

[Rippers Resurrected] Jack's Back **Spoilers**

#1 Postby Kaandorian » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:55 am

It seems to me that this part of the Plot Points Campaign, while very dramatic, is also very streamlined and puts players in a very passive way.
Jack perpetrates his murders without any possibility for the PCs to intervene and stop them, aside from the last one.
I have the feeling that my players will probably stare at me with vacue eyes while the events unfold unstopped.

Moreover, Sherlock makes a blunder as soon as they meet him... not a great appearance. He just spots Enrico Gambuccini following them, with the only result that the PCs risk to kill the Vatican agent.

Please, help me make this adventure unforgettable!

EDIT: oh, by the way, one of the characters is a duchess with Status 4... not sure how to handle the policeman's accusations at the beginning.

Clint
Site Admin

Re: [Rippers Resurrected] Jack's Back **Spoilers**

#2 Postby Clint » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:01 pm

First off, on the higher Status character, just have the police treat her as you might expect. She'd be asked to come down, but higher ranking people would deal with her separately from the "riff-raff" also on the list.

As a side note, a Duchess is a really high position of nobility (basically just under the royal family), something I'd place at Status 5 level of Elite rather than Status 4 for the "generic" Upper Class. Not saying it's impossible, just that a Status 4 Duchess may be one who does not have nearly the influence of anyone else of similar title, and that could affect the interaction with the police.

Meaning, while they might normally contact someone assisting any other person of that rank, the Duchess of Wemberly, who had to sell off a large chunk of her property to pay questionable debts incurred by her father, may not receive the same consideration.

Now, if you want to give the players more agency in this adventure, then I'd suggest rather than having Jack's final attack be "given" to them, let them figure it out on their own. Remember, Jack actually wants them to be there as he plans to drop a note to put them on another scent.

Use that same theory of Jack leaving notes, supposedly to taunt the Rippers, but really to give them clues to his final attack and perhaps even his current goals too.

His first attack is on Jonathan Harker. So when they go to see the body, if a player specifically says they check his mouth (there was a tooth found at the scene) or rolls a good Notice or appropriate Knowledge to check his body, they discover a small note shoved in his mouth. It says...

"Soon, my plan will be clar"

The next is on Frankenstein's daughter. Again, checking the body notes she is wearing a lace choker which doesn't match the rest of her outfit. It has two medallions on either side of the neck. Removing it, it's possible to see lightning bolts on the medallions but also writing inside the choker...

"Staying en touch with old friends"

The last is Lusk. There is already an effect for a Notice/Investigation roll on his files, but allow a raise to discover something more. A hidden diary that chronicles Lusk's more personal reasons for concern over ladies of the evening in the East End, a dark side to a good man. One of the entries (January 9th, 1886) has a piece of paper stuck in it...

"Like Lusk, I don change my ways completely"

There are a few things for the players to realize in these clues.

1) Confirming he's bring back leaders of the Cabal. Each one symbolizing who Jack is resurrecting (the note in the mouth for Dracula, the note on the stylized choker for Frankenstein, and the note in the journal of Lusk for Jekyll/Hyde).

2) The "misspelled" words combine to form "clarendon."

3) He hasn't completely changed his ways, meaning he intends to return to prostitutes as victims (at least partially).

The latter two can be combined to realize/discover his next target would be the Clarendon Club. A Streetwise (or other applicable skill) could bring up the club on a success (though not its secret) while a raise would reveal the secret purpose of the club. Keep in mind this is a secretive "upper class" establishment and apply Status to appropriate rolls depending on who is contacted.

Even if not used, hope that helps spur some ideas!
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Kaandorian
Novice

#3 Postby Kaandorian » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:15 pm

Very helpful ideas, indeed!

Regarding the Duchess: when I allowed this title for a Status 4, I based it on the pregens where Albion, actually Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence and heir to the throne, has Status 4.

Clint
Site Admin

#4 Postby Clint » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:56 pm

Kaandorian wrote:Regarding the Duchess: when I allowed this title for a Status 4, I based it on the pregens where Albion, actually Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence and heir to the throne, has Status 4.

Huh, I don't recall us updating those original pregens to Resurrected stats (and Status worked completely differently before). To make Albion in the new version with the same background, I think he'd really need Filthy Rich and Noble for Status 5 (unless there's another factor involved).
Clint Black

Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “SW Pinnacle Original Settings & Companions”