[50F] Guerrilla Warfare rules (OC)

Information and comments on all Pinnacle original Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [NE] for Necessary Evil, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below as do licensed settings.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Woyzecks Peas
Novice

[50F] Guerrilla Warfare rules (OC)

#1 Postby Woyzecks Peas » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:13 pm

Hi folks,

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2pbT ... GNOdW81S2c

What it is: A custom rule set for running a "guerrilla war" against the Spanish Trade Guild in a series of small, colourful mini-adventures. Includes mechanics for tracking the size of your peasant army, outfitting them for battle, scouting and infiltrating a target prior to a hit-n-run, dealing with Spanish counter-attacks, and more!

What else it could be: The flavour of these mini-adventures could easily be changed to suit any game or setting. New mini-adventures could easily be written to expand the campaign further. If you've ever wanted to rally the common people and run a months-long "resistance campaign" in a matter of hours, this is for you.

Background: When the session was over, I nearly panicked. The players had stealthed their way deep into the Spanish Armada and assassinated the enemy admiral, but in the end they'd raised the alarm and been caught. With the players imprisoned on the island of Sprith, the Spanish fleet wasted no time capturing their ship and enslaving their crew. All was lost. The players barely managed to escape their bonds and take off into the hills, and that's where the session ended. They had no ship, no crew, no way to get off the island and continue the campaign. Like I said, I nearly panicked. But something stuck in my mind: one of my players had suggested, offhandedly, "Maybe we could be like Zorro and rally the common people?"

Maybe? Maybe!

I mocked together these rules for running a quick, vignette-speed guerrilla war campaign. We managed to get through all seven mini-adventures in one session, and the players' success as revolutionaries granted them enough resources to get off the island and back into the game. It was a lot of fun, so I thought I'd share.
The campaign makes use of every Savage Worlds system (Tactical Combat, Dramatic Tasks, Quick Combat, Mass Battle, etc.), so it also provides a great summary of the system for newbies. If I ever start a new 50 Fathoms campaign, I might actually run this as the first session.

Enjoy!

Freemage
Veteran

Re: [50F] Guerrilla Warfare rules (OC)

#2 Postby Freemage » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:34 pm

If I ever do my idea for a Savage Rifts Burbs Resistance campaign, I'm totally yoinking this for intense re-skinning. Good job!

Woyzecks Peas
Novice

#3 Postby Woyzecks Peas » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:07 am

Let me know how it turns out! :)

I think the basic mechanics I've thrown together, with armed/unarmed peasant troops, pre-mission preparations, rewards, and counter-attacks, could work well in any setting. It's just a matter of writing up some cool adventures with 3 tiers of Scouting and Infiltration results.

Thewightman
Novice

#4 Postby Thewightman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:32 am

I've looked at the file and it seems really cool. Would be nice if i could tell what exactly is going on though..... :wink:
A summary of the story of what happens before, during and after the op, what the details of the op are, and what the general starting state of affairs is (who, where, how many, why etc.) would help a lot. If you could add that, that'd be awesome.

Woyzecks Peas
Novice

#5 Postby Woyzecks Peas » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:21 am

Thewightman wrote:I've looked at the file and it seems really cool. Would be nice if i could tell what exactly is going on though..... :wink:
A summary of the story of what happens before, during and after the op, what the details of the op are, and what the general starting state of affairs is (who, where, how many, why etc.) would help a lot. If you could add that, that'd be awesome.

Hmm! I had thought there was enough included, between the coloured handouts and the GM's operations info, to pick up and run, but it looks like I was wrong. Can you be specific in what's missing, or what you found confusing? This was just something I cooked up for my regular game night, but if I have the time and I'm feeling ambitious I'd like to flesh it out as a generic system for staging guerrilla wars in any setting.

Arcangel_Zero7
Novice

#6 Postby Arcangel_Zero7 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:47 pm

Restarting my own 50 Fathoms campaign soon, and I just wanted to say this is AWESOME. My first party never got to the point of getting totally devastated like yours did, so the possibility never really occurred to me. The way you used seemingly game-ending failure to open up an entirely different kind of gameplay is SO COOL. At work at the moment, so I didn't get to go through the entire document, but definitely squirreled it away for later. The first couple of pages got me super excited though!

Well thought-out homebrew mechanics like this are exactly what makes the hobby (and the ever-so-hackable Savage Worlds!) so grand. Your players are lucky to have you, and I hope I can be this kind of GM some day. :)

JamesG
Seasoned

#7 Postby JamesG » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:27 am

This is really pretty sweet. One question I do have is how large a guerrilla force do the players start with? Or do they start at 0 troops and the only way they get any is the operations that reward troops?

Thanks.

Arcangel_Zero7
Novice

#8 Postby Arcangel_Zero7 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:12 pm

JamesG wrote:This is really pretty sweet. One question I do have is how large a guerrilla force do the players start with? Or do they start at 0 troops and the only way they get any is the operations that reward troops?

I'm sure the author has is own intent, but off the top of my head (and without thoroughly reading the material, shame on me) I have an idea:

They'd start with 0 support.

Since the party is free to move and no longer imprisoned: They can cooperate on rolls like streetwise and persuasion to infiltrate their target town and initially "strike the fire" of revolution to get some common people to their cause. They can choose the skill they want to employ as long as the explanation makes sense. For instance: Distributing leaflets, employing town criers to spread dissent, recruiting recruiters, and so on (Might cost some gold). The "Connections" edge could come in handy here.

Or they could even shout from a soap box themselves, but THAT could be risky! I would imagine a fail means they raise the suspicions of the local power structure. Critical fail / snake eyes might mean the local government has much better intel and maybe crashes a rally or something. (Arresting many of your possible fresh recruits in the process!)

You could add modifiers as well: Areas where the players have done a lot of good and won favor in the past would be easier to sway (+2), while areas the players might have pillaged in recent history would be much less likely to be moved by their cause (-4).

Without getting too complex, you could use a success table based on a percentage of the town / city's population to determine how many willing fighters the party gets.

Thoughts? I know all this can be distilled down to be much more FFF. :)

Lord Lance
Heroic

#9 Postby Lord Lance » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:14 pm

I'm reading the PDF. Just a note: it's Shane Hensley
"Balance is the key, Trapping is the word." - - Lord Lance

Proud creator of the SAVAGE FREE BESTIARY

Return to “SW Pinnacle Original Settings & Companions”