Dragon Natural Weapons

Information and comments on all Pinnacle original Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [NE] for Necessary Evil, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below as do licensed settings.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

One_Hand_Clapping
Novice

Dragon Natural Weapons

#1 Postby One_Hand_Clapping » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:17 pm

Hey everyone,

For the purposes of the Natural Weapons Edge (in the Fantasy Companion), is a dragon's breath weapon considered a natural weapon? What about attacks that involve body parts aside from claws and teeth (such as a tail strike, wing slap, or constricting coils)? One of my players has a dragon hatchling character in my Savage Rifts game, and we were wondering which specific attacks the Natural Weapons edge would apply to.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: Dragon Natural Weapons

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:33 pm

Completely up to the GM (sounds like you), because you're mixing two setting books that weren't written for each other.

Also, because you're talking about an ability that doesn't exist. :lol:
If you're talking about the Natural Warrior (and Improved) edge(s) then the edges are restricted to fangs/claws; the edge modifies the Natural Weapons racial ability, which is defined on page 5 as "(Str+d6 with any two weapons or Str+d4 with all natural attacks)".
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

One_Hand_Clapping
Novice

#3 Postby One_Hand_Clapping » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:39 pm

:D My bad, I meant "Natural Warrior"

Thanks for the response

Deskepticon
Veteran

#4 Postby Deskepticon » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:59 pm

Yea, up to the GM.

But to address your question...
If a character has an attack identified as a "natural weapon" it means they don't suffer from the Unarmed Defender rule when being attacked. For a dragon, natural weapons would be tooth, claws and probably tail. But that doesn't mean that it isn't allowed to swipe at someone with a wing if it really wanted to. But the attack isn't one of their natural weapons, so it won't benefit from any Edges that modify natural weapons. You might also run it as an improvised attack.

As for their breath attack: while it's a "natural (inherent)" ability to the dragon, I would consider it to be a tool (or maybe even magic) rather than a natural weapon.

Jounichi
Legendary

#5 Postby Jounichi » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:58 am

Rafaelwrilk wrote:quick question: would slashing grace work is you had 2 natural claw attacks? or Evan bit attacks?

Slashing grace, as far as I know, isn't a Savage Worlds mechanic.
"Rush not in to fights. Long is the war. Only by surviving it, will you prevail." -Yoda
"Wise man once say, 'forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.'" -Michelangelo

Return to “SW Pinnacle Original Settings & Companions”