[NE:B] [SPC2] Copycat and Constructs

Information and comments on all Pinnacle original Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [NE] for Necessary Evil, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below as do licensed settings.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Café Truck
Novice

[NE:B] [SPC2] Copycat and Constructs

#1 Postby Café Truck » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:55 pm

I have a player who took the Copycat power, and I wondered if it should work on constructs. The power description already says it won't work on devices (without a modifier), and constructs seem basically like living devices. Have any of you run into this in your games? How did you handle it?

Deskepticon
Veteran

Re: [NE:B] [SPC2] Copycat and Constructs

#2 Postby Deskepticon » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:33 pm

By RAW, Copycat would work on constructs no problem (if the construct had super powers that Copycat can emulate). It could even be used to "copy" the Construct power itself...

Although I think I would probably require the Devices modifier anyway.

dentris
Veteran

#3 Postby dentris » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:15 pm

Trappings. It's all about Trappings.

The copycat is working how? Shapeshifting? Magic? Muscle Memory? Something else entirely? Depending on the answer, the power will work differently. Remember that by RAW, Copycat works on construct, so if you take that away because of Trappings, you should consider adding a little extra to compensate.
But the Voice consoles me and it says: "Keep your dreams;
Wise men do not have such beautiful ones as fools!"
--Baudelaire, Les Fleurs du Mal, 1857, Translated by William Aggeler, 1954

Café Truck
Novice

#4 Postby Café Truck » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:03 pm

dentris wrote:Trappings. It's all about Trappings.

The copycat is working how? Shapeshifting? Magic? Muscle Memory? Something else entirely? Depending on the answer, the power will work differently. Remember that by RAW, Copycat works on construct, so if you take that away because of Trappings, you should consider adding a little extra to compensate.

Thanks for the advice! He's playing a character sort of like the Sylar villain from the show Heroes, if that rings any bells. The construct in question is an android with lots of points in Armor and Toughness.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#5 Postby ValhallaGH » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:45 pm

Since there isn't a brain to chop up and copy (or eat ...) it seems like he'd be unable to copy an Android.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Deskepticon
Veteran

#6 Postby Deskepticon » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:33 am

^this

If the Trapping requires a physical brain/living tissue then that qualifies for a -1 Limitation. If they need to cut open the head and spend time examining it that would be more of a -2 Limitation.

In which case the Devices modifier can be used to circumvent the overall Trapping by trapping the modifier as "examines program code" or something similar.

Café Truck
Novice

#7 Postby Café Truck » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:01 am

Thanks all! I think I have a good idea on how I'll handle this one for my game, depending on what my player ultimately decides his trappings will be.

Return to “SW Pinnacle Original Settings & Companions”