[NE/SPC2] Making a triptych goddess

Information and comments on all Pinnacle original Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [NE] for Necessary Evil, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below as do licensed settings.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Message
Author
Deskepticon
Veteran
Posts: 823
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:31 pm

Re: [NE/SPC2] Making a triptych goddess

#21 Postby Deskepticon » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:54 pm

Brickulos wrote:... it does seem wrong to not give her any defensive abilities at all. Should I just rely on the Maiden's Regeneration and just hope to not die in one round? Not trying to be facetious. What would you suggest?

This can actually be part of the concept: the Crone is a heavy damage dealer, but also susceptible to damage. Since she can just switch on her next turn, healing is relegated to the maiden-form.

Its kind of analogous to video game bosses: one phase the boss is in beast mode and you need to simply hunker down and go on defense... another phase is your chance to exploit some weakness that is revealed.

Phasma Felis
Seasoned
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 9:45 am
Location: Lexington, KY, USA

Re: [NE/SPC2] Making a triptych goddess

#22 Postby Phasma Felis » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:12 am

Brickulos wrote:That's a pretty negative spin for two out of three though isn't it?

I haven't read Necessary Evil, but isn't everyone with powers a villain? :)

ValhallaGH
Legendary
Posts: 8293
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:15 pm

Re: [NE/SPC2] Making a triptych goddess

#23 Postby ValhallaGH » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:45 am

Phasma Felis wrote:I haven't read Necessary Evil, but isn't everyone with powers a villain? :)

Nope.
The vast majority of heroes were killed or crippled, but a few survive. And just because you break the law doesn't mean you're capital-E Evil.

One of the major themes of NE is the opportunities for redemption arcs. Characters have a chance to become the heroes of the world. What they do with that chance says a lot about them, and can make for some excellent story telling.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

User avatar
Sitting Duck
Legendary
Posts: 5623
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 6:47 am
Location: Podunk Junction, State of Confusion

Re: [NE/SPC2] Making a triptych goddess

#24 Postby Sitting Duck » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:07 am

ValhallaGH wrote:One of the major themes of NE is the opportunities for redemption arcs. Characters have a chance to become the heroes of the world. What they do with that chance says a lot about them, and can make for some excellent story telling.


Though Gospog's legendary NE campaign has shown that you don't have to.
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

ValhallaGH
Legendary
Posts: 8293
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:15 pm

Re: [NE/SPC2] Making a triptych goddess

#25 Postby ValhallaGH » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:35 am

Sitting Duck wrote:
ValhallaGH wrote:One of the major themes of NE is the opportunities for redemption arcs. Characters have a chance to become the heroes of the world. What they do with that chance says a lot about them, and can make for some excellent story telling.


Though Gospog's legendary NE campaign has shown that you don't have to.

Re-read. 8) The arcs and opportunities are there, it's just that most of the characters either rejected the heroic path or perverted it into an anti-hero path. Which made for some excellent story telling. :mrgreen:
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."


Return to “SW Pinnacle Original Settings & Companions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests