[SPC] Grants powers to Extras/Minions

Information and comments on all Pinnacle original Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [NE] for Necessary Evil, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below as do licensed settings.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Brutal
Novice

[SPC] Grants powers to Extras/Minions

#1 Postby Brutal » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:58 am

I am currently running a fantasy game using the Super Powered Companion for all things magic. The mad alchemist with the Invent power made some potions to feed to a pair of extras he swindled into helping with a fight, and there was mention in the rules how to handle something like that.

Then one of he super sorcerer mages wanted to use the Armor power on some one else. I know what I ruled at the moment, but is there an official/already test method to handle this?

Clint
Site Admin

Re: [SPC] Grants powers to Extras/Minions

#2 Postby Clint » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:28 pm

Brutal wrote:I am currently running a fantasy game using the Super Powered Companion for all things magic. The mad alchemist with the Invent power made some potions to feed to a pair of extras he swindled into helping with a fight, and there was mention in the rules how to handle something like that.

Then one of he super sorcerer mages wanted to use the Armor power on some one else. I know what I ruled at the moment, but is there an official/already test method to handle this?

Nope.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Ndreare
Veteran

#3 Postby Ndreare » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:46 pm

It of curiosity, how did you handle it?

I think I may have ruled it as locking out the points until the spell ended our if it affected both the character and the target having it be a +2 modifier to affect others.
Then I would have been here also asking Clint his ruling.

SteelDraco
Seasoned

#4 Postby SteelDraco » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:22 pm

Yeah, one of the few powers I've not seen any way to effectively duplicate with SPC2 is the ability to grant someone else powers, or increase their existing powers. Somewhere on these forums I participated in a discussion of a proposed Boost power that could do what you're suggesting. Let me see if I can find it...

viewtopic.php?p=446673#p446673

What you're describing, though, I would say is just a trapping for invent, for the alchemist. You can already give objects you've Invented to others to use; that's a part of the power. Your alchemist would just allocate a few points from his Invent pool to his minions, decides what the potions do (allocating those Power Points as he sees fit, based on what he wants the potions to do) and and when he doesn't want them to be boosted any more he says "And now the potions run out" and he gets his Power Points back to re-allocate to other inventions.

The super sorcerer doesn't have a similar power, and by RAW only works on herself. I'd think about maybe a fairly cheap modifier that lets her cast her powers on other people, allocating her Super Sorcery power points until she lets the spell drop. So if she normally has 10 ranks of Super Sorcery, she can say "I'm casting Armor of Alquatto on Steve over there, giving him 4 ranks in the Armor power", then roll for it as normal. If she succeeds she then has six points to play with in her Super Sorcery pool until she lets that spell drop, but Steve gets +8 Armor (since Armor is 2 armor per rank and he got 4 ranks). As discussed in that other thread, though, I probably wouldn't allow a person to exceed the campaign's Power Point limit with boosted powers - that way lies madness.

I guess technically a Super Sorcerer can give themselves the Invent power and thus hand out buffs that way, but it's fairly inefficient points-wise because SS is more expensive than Invent.

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#5 Postby Sitting Duck » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:50 am

SteelDraco wrote:I guess technically a Super Sorcerer can give themselves the Invent power and thus hand out buffs that way, but it's fairly inefficient points-wise because SS is more expensive than Invent.

True for the First Edition SPC. However, the Second Edition has Super Sorcery at two points per level, the same as Invent. Though it's still inefficient, since you would have to invest two SS levels to get one Invent level.
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

Return to “SW Pinnacle Original Settings & Companions”