[SPC2/NE] Power Stunt: Teleporting Away With a Target's Arm

Information and comments on all Pinnacle original Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [NE] for Necessary Evil, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below as do licensed settings.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Café Truck
Novice

[SPC2/NE] Power Stunt: Teleporting Away With a Target's Arm

#1 Postby Café Truck » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:12 pm

Inpired by Marvel's Age of Apocalypse Nightcrawler, one of my players wanted to try to teleport away with the arm of a bad guy. I liked the idea, so I ran it sort of like a power stunt. He gave me a bennie, and I had him roll to grapple his target (grab the arm). He succeeded, so I let him roll to teleport with a -2 modifier (for teleporting part of someone against their will). After another success, he popped away with the guy's arm.

It was a cool sequence, but I worry that I may have made it too easy. The target was a recurring baddie, who now has the one arm hindrance for future encounters. What do you guys think? Sound right, or did I make it too easy to cause a permanent injury?

[EDITED: I had previously referred to the -2 modifier above as a "typical" modifier for teleporting someone against their will. My mistake.]

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: [SPC2/NE] Power Stunt: Teleporting Away With a Target's Arm

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:04 pm

You made that really easy to do. Teleporters are now one of the scariest things to fight. "Calm down guys, let me teleport the blaster's head off."

Since the goal of the Stunt was to cause damage to the target, I'd suggest that future applications use either the attack, melee or decay powers, with a Trapping of teleporting away with the target's body part(s). Attack, melee would be the right choice if the power is trying to tear apart the victim, where as decay implies that the victim is having to resist being separated from his own parts; either works fine, but they say different things about how the power is removing the body part. Either way, applying the Gritty Damage setting rules for such an attack, to see how permanent it was, makes sense to me - might be a bit overpowered in the long term but probably manageable.
For a more minor effect, that temporarily impairs the foe, the Power Trick rules would be fitting.

Aside: Assuming the PC has a "bamf into a dark dimension, like Nightcrawler" trapping for Teleport, the returning baddie can have (or soon acquire) a replacement arm from (or made of) that dark dimension. :evilbat: The baddie is probably paying a serious price for the new limb, but it is almost certain to be a combat power upgrade. :twisted:
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

SavageGamerGirl
Legendary

#3 Postby SavageGamerGirl » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:08 pm

I'd make it an Attack, Melee power contingent on the Teleport power working (-1). Make a Fighting attack against an opponent and then use the Teleport power (which is a free action). Once the Teleport power succeeds, roll your melee damage. "Removing an arm" would be interpreted via the Incapacitation table if enough damage is done to incapacitate the opponent.

The way SW works, it's probably best used on Extras.
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here.'
The Order of the Dice... OF DOOM!

Myrmicus
Novice

#4 Postby Myrmicus » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:29 am

Attack Melee contingent -1 to the Teleport powers is a good idea.
Additionnally, if the character has the "Teleport Others" modifier, I'd allow him to take the Attack Ranged power, trapped as "teleporting pieces of others"
Could aalso use a Decay (with the ranged modifier, if needed) for the same result : this idea imply that the opponent as a chance to resist his body being torn apart.

Return to “SW Pinnacle Original Settings & Companions”