[50F] Final Battle advise

Information and comments on all Pinnacle original Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [NE] for Necessary Evil, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below as do licensed settings.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

arnon
Seasoned

[50F] Final Battle advise

#1 Postby arnon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:44 am

So my game is spiraling towards the final battle with the Sea Hags. Probably 3-4 sessions from now.

Was wondering how you all who've run it did it and what recommendations you have for me.

I'm guessing, as with the battle vs. Blackbeard, that i'll be using several different battle mechanics.

Thanks,
-arnon

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: [50F] Final Battle advise

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:49 am

The fight has two or three major factors.
Obviously, the Sea Hags. Giant, magical monsters striding around and alternately kicking in ships and plucking people off the decks, plus calling down lightning strikes.
The aquatic armies of the Hags. Hordes of octopons and drowned dead crawling onto the decks and attacking the characters and crews, while giant octopi arise to smash hulls and eat crews.
Optionally, the players can cause the primordial elemental to attack the Hags. This is more of a cut-scene effect.

One of the cool things about this fight is that you scale the supporting forces to match whatever backup the PCs bring to the fight. The key of the battle is killing the Hags, doable with any Heavy Weapon (some spells, cannons, and some magical weapons) or the sword of Amemnus (ignores creature Size, and being Gargantuan is the source of their Heavy Armor) - that is a task for heroes, one they can focus on.

The correct mechanics to use during the battle depend upon the choices the players make.
If the players are focused on keeping their friends and allies safe then you'll probably want to use Mass Battle rules, allowing any character that gets a Raise to have a round confronting the Hags directly (however they do that). Note that Warlocks are generally Wild Cards, allowing them to aid the rolls of the Hag forces as the PCs aid their own side.
If the players are focused on killing the Hags as fast as possible then you can use regular table top combat mechanics against the epic backdrop of the naval battles. This is especially good if the players have personal flight or water walking abilities to get them off the ships and up close to the Hags. The allies are "over there, fighting heroically" and don't matter for the game mechanics.
If the players are trying to coordinate complex naval maneuvers to overwhelm the Hags with mage or cannon fire then the Chase rules would fit. Choose a modifier for the fact that hordes of monsters are crawling onto the ships (outnumbering the crews) to overwhelm them while the Hags continue their assaults. Given that the Hags have the same Pace as the fastest stock ship (and the Hags can Run to go faster), the Hags are likely to have a speed bonus on any rolls go get Action Cards during a Chase. This is probably the most dangerous and unsuccessful approach.
A combination may be called for, but those are the general approaches that I see.

There is a reason that the Hags have crushed every large naval force that has come after them. :twisted: They're set up to kill navies, but a band of determined and capable heroes can kill them with relative ease.

My table ended up going the "personal combat" route. The fight went quickly; the elemental did its thing, the sword of Amemnus worked like a charm when wielded by a flying mage, and a cannon ball fired by a Dead Shot No Mercy gunner with a Joker took care of the third (3d8+3, AP 6, doubled). Everyone was very pleased with the story and drama, and the Hags got to act enough that they recognized the threat and were pleased that they made such a hard battle look easy.

Good luck!
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

arnon
Seasoned

#3 Postby arnon » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:03 pm

Thanks for the advice ValhallaGH.

The battle might, possibly, take place next session.

As i know my players, they'll probably take the Personal Combat route, although not all of them can attack the Hags directly. The Archmage in my party died several sessions ago and the player came back with a melee fighter; that means i now have three melee fighters and a ranged combatant (our cannoneer).

One fighter has the Sword of Amemnus and will probably have fly on him, i'm unsure how the other two melee fighter might contribute, while the canoneer will probably shoot at the Hags everything the battle barge "the Terror" has (which they liberated).

As for allies: they'll have Duckworth (again), along with two more friendly ships, and their own birganite. They also managed to rally the mages of Bluth's Rock to the battle so they'll have some magical power on their side (along with the Head of the mage they've been carrying around for some time, and the Kraken Sphere they recoverd last session).... and, whoever else they might enlist before heading to the Devil's Cross.

I'm thinking:
==> some Personal Combat will happen at first
==> and then, when the Hag's minions arrive 3 rounds later, have some Mass Combat occure. I'm thinking mainly of the Zombies coming aboard the ship. This will give the Players not attacking the Hags directly a chance to defend the ship. Each round of Mass Combat will equate to one round of Personal Combat.
==> 1-2 rounds later the Octopons and Giant Octopi arrive, bolstering the tokens of the Mass Combat. I'll let the players face the new threat if they want, but that will mean they cannot assist in the Mass Combat.

That is, unless they cast Fly on everyone and charge the Hags together with Tricks, Taunts, and such... then all the rest is just scenery...

-arnon

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#4 Postby ValhallaGH » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:14 pm

Sounds like you've got some contingency plans. Good luck!

Oh, don't be afraid to get The Terror caught up in the flotsam sea, possibly in a storm. The Hags have some control of the weather and conditions there, and that boat is just mean.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Return to “SW Pinnacle Original Settings & Companions”