[SPC2] Limited Invent

Information and comments on all Pinnacle original Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [NE] for Necessary Evil, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below as do licensed settings.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Myrmicus
Novice

[SPC2] Limited Invent

#1 Postby Myrmicus » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:15 am

Hello folks.
I have a player who whish to be a tech wiz, with a powered armor and the invent power.
The powered armor will have powers like Armor (obviously), flight and super attributes (strength & vigor)... and the Invent power.

The idea behind it is that the armor is adaptable and the character can quicly tweak it to add or remove powers. But I'm not sure which modifier I should use on it... I don't see it being a Device -1, because it's not the armor that grant the invent power, but an invent power that can only be applied to the armor. But then, do I use a limitation -1 (can only be used through the armor), a limitation -2 ? Should I make it contingent to one power of the device ? Both ?

In the same vein, what about a robot who is adaptable through the Invent power ?
The idea here is a Construct that can change parts of his robotic body to gain or loose powers. Thus, he doesn't gain devices through the invent power and, as such, cannot loose them, but cannot give them to another character either.
What modifier should I use ? Should I make this more costly (since the fact that powers granted through invent are device is accounted in the powers price) ?

dentris
Veteran

Re: [SPC2] Limited Invent

#2 Postby dentris » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:57 am

That looks like the Limit modifier to me.

Limit (only applicable to power armor upgrades/robotic body) (-1) or (-2 if you impose a strict restriction on what powers can be added)
But the Voice consoles me and it says: "Keep your dreams;
Wise men do not have such beautiful ones as fools!"
--Baudelaire, Les Fleurs du Mal, 1857, Translated by William Aggeler, 1954

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#3 Postby ValhallaGH » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:15 am

Dentris seems to have covered it.
It's a minor Limitation because the inventions can't really be shared. It might be Major if there were also further restrictions (such as only Electrical trappings). Remember, the Limitation is for the invent power, not the character.

So, both would probably be Invent X: On the Fly, Limitation (can't share). Cost = 2 * X + 2.

Have fun!
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

SavageGamerGirl
Legendary

#4 Postby SavageGamerGirl » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:04 am

You could also just use the Power Stunts rule to cover one-shot, adapted-in powers in the armor.

"I need to divert all power to the hand cannons! I have to stop the Mad Miner at the source!"

Click, click, whirr... And suddenly your Attack, Ranged power acts like Burrowing.
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here.'
The Order of the Dice... OF DOOM!

Myrmicus
Novice

#5 Postby Myrmicus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:17 am

Noted, thanks for the answers folks.
@SavageGamerGirl : the idea there is more about an everchanging armor with some permanent powers.

ValhallaGH wrote:Dentris seems to have covered it.
It's a minor Limitation because the inventions can't really be shared. It might be Major if there were also further restrictions (such as only Electrical trappings). Remember, the Limitation is for the invent power, not the character.

So, both would probably be Invent X: On the Fly, Limitation (can't share). Cost = 2 * X + 2.

Have fun!

So -1 limitation for Invent tied to the suit. But if I make it "only electrical, gravitic and mechanical trappings" does it worth a major version ? The reasonning is that the powered armor has mechanical articulations (giving super strength), gravitic core (flight) and is powered by eletricity... the armor itself is easily tweakable, thus allowing the Invent power on it. From what I understood, the player will mainly use Invent to enhance mechanical aspects (more strength), gravitic aspect (attack melee/ranged, telekinesis and so on) and electrical (attack ranged, explosion, absorption, and so on).

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#6 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:09 am

Nope. Being limited to three really flexible trapping, capable of countering everything except magic and psionics with ease, isn't a limitation. It's a style choice. :D
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

SavageGamerGirl
Legendary

#7 Postby SavageGamerGirl » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:32 am

Myrmicus wrote:@SavageGamerGirl : the idea there is more about an everchanging armor with some permanent powers.

Sure, and you're getting some good input on that.

I'm just suggesting the occasional Power Stunt with a trapping of "temporary armor modification" as another option during play.
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.

'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here.'

The Order of the Dice... OF DOOM!

dentris
Veteran

#8 Postby dentris » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:41 am

Myrmicus wrote:So -1 limitation for Invent tied to the suit. But if I make it "only electrical, gravitic and mechanical trappings" does it worth a major version ? The reasonning is that the powered armor has mechanical articulations (giving super strength), gravitic core (flight) and is powered by eletricity... the armor itself is easily tweakable, thus allowing the Invent power on it. From what I understood, the player will mainly use Invent to enhance mechanical aspects (more strength), gravitic aspect (attack melee/ranged, telekinesis and so on) and electrical (attack ranged, explosion, absorption, and so on).

How imaginative is the player? I know I can justify all the powers in the book somehow using only the Trappings you've enumerated. If you know it would limit what kind of powers he can access drastically, then -2 would be appropriate. If not, stick with the -1.
But the Voice consoles me and it says: "Keep your dreams;

Wise men do not have such beautiful ones as fools!"

--Baudelaire, Les Fleurs du Mal, 1857, Translated by William Aggeler, 1954

Myrmicus
Novice

#9 Postby Myrmicus » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:42 am

Here is the power sheet as my player gave me :
Four-Color, Super Karma and The Best there is (Invent) are in effect.

AGPPA (Anti-Gravitic-Prototype-Powered-Armor) :
(9) Armor +12, Heavy Armor, Device -1 (Advanced polymer)
(7) Super Strength +4 steps, Device -1 (Mechanical articulations)
(1) Doesn't Breath, Device -1 (Sealed armor)
(3) Immunity, Basic to fire/heat, ice/cold, air, radiation, device -1 (Environnemental protection, protects from space vacuum)
(1) Awarness +3, Device -1, Limit -1 (Gravitic Core : gravity sonar. Cannot detect things without a mass)
(5) Flight, Pace x2, Climb +4, Device -1 (Gravitic Core : gravity manipulation)
(2) Telekinesis level 2 (Str d12), Device -1, Limit -1 (Gravitic core : gravity manipulation. Doesn't allow any precise manipulation)
(2) Boreadcast, Manipulation +2, Range x1, Device -1 (Integrated Communicators)

(4) Sidekick, Limitation -1 (The Armor have an in-built advanced IA and can act by itself if not worn by the character.)
(21) Invent level 10, On the Fly, Limit -2 (The AGPPA is higly adaptable and can be easily tweaked. Invent levels may only be applied through the AGPPA. More limitations as follow :
- Powers gained through invent can only have Mechanical, Electrical and Gravitic trappings
- Powers with mechanical trapping cannot benefit from the "On the Fly" modifier and require spare parts. As an exemple, adding a blade on the forearm require an actual blade.
- Powers with electrical or gravitic trapping need the armor to be overcharged for them to work. Overcharging the armor requires to plug it to an energy source for at least an hour. The armor stays overcharged for 6 hours.)
- If the armor acts on its own, it suffer the usual -2 penalty to trait rolls for using powers gained through invent.

Here, I accepted the limitation -2 since there are additionnal limitations to the invent power. It does not restrict the range of power gained, but makes it more difficult to use them.

Return to “SW Pinnacle Original Settings & Companions”