[SR]A Few Quick Questions

This topic is for rules questions related to products from Pinnacle outside the core rulebook (Settings, Companions, etc.). Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Brand55
Seasoned

[SR]A Few Quick Questions

#1 Postby Brand55 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:31 am

I just started making a character for Savage Rifts and came up with a few questions. Searching didn't reveal answers for all of them, so apologies in advance if these have been answered already and I just failed to find them.

1) The Flaming Scales ability that Flame Wind Hatchlings can take doesn't mention whether it uses an action to activate. I assume it does, but since activating powers for free isn't entirely unknown in this game it made me wonder.

2) It's possible to get a power you can constantly activate with a raise effect via the random roll tables at character creation. How does that interact with powers such as puppet that require opposed rolls? Would you be treated as having rolled an 8 after modifiers or would you get to automatically win every opposed roll with a raise?

Clint
Site Admin

Re: [SR]A Few Quick Questions

#2 Postby Clint » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:06 pm

Brand55 wrote:1) The Flaming Scales ability that Flame Wind Hatchlings can take doesn't mention whether it uses an action to activate. I assume it does, but since activating powers for free isn't entirely unknown in this game it made me wonder.

It acts like Damage Field, so it activates like it as well, requiring an action (but no roll).

Brand55 wrote:2) It's possible to get a power you can constantly activate with a raise effect via the random roll tables at character creation. How does that interact with powers such as puppet that require opposed rolls? Would you be treated as having rolled an 8 after modifiers or would you get to automatically win every opposed roll with a raise?

The ability specifically states <italics added>, "Choose one power your hero knows; if she casts it successfully, she automatically gains the raise effect."

So the character does not get to "constantly" activate with a raise, they just get the "raise effect" if they successfully activate the power. So a power which has an opposed roll still works exactly as normal for the opposed roll. The only difference is if the caster wins, then they would get the raise effect of the power (if any).

Meaning for a power like Puppet, it would have no effect unless the character had and used the Mega-Power version where they would get the raise duration even on a normal success (though note the ability has no effect on the two raise duration as it only grants the raise effect on a success not an actual higher result).

Hope that helps.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work”