[SR] - Techno Wizard Upgrade Activation

This topic is for rules questions related to products from Pinnacle outside the core rulebook (Settings, Companions, etc.). Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Bookwyrmm
Novice

[SR] - Techno Wizard Upgrade Activation

#1 Postby Bookwyrmm » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:25 pm

Per the rules for TW Upgrades on page 107, our team has started spending their ill-gotten gains on TW upgrades (everyone in the group, save the Glitter Boy Pilot has PPE or ISP to burn) and I have a question on how the upgrades are activated.

If someone gets the major upgrade "+1 die type to a specific trait appropriate to the item" what, if any, is the PPE or ISP cost to activate that? The item in question is a suit of Cyber Knight Heavy armor. As I see it, it works one of two ways:

1) If the armor is active, i.e. the CK has paid his 1 ISP to activate it for the hour (which we're extrapolating from the Combat Mage Armor), then the +1 die (along with whatever else he adds) is active as well. This is my interpretation now.
2) Activating the armor gives the basic Armor and Toughness, but there is another cost to activate the new mods, which the book is either unclear on or I haven't found yet.

Either way, these make TW mods verrrrrry powerful, especially given the relatively low cost of them.

Clint
Site Admin

Re: [SR] - Techno Wizard Upgrade Activation

#2 Postby Clint » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:23 am

Bookwyrmm wrote:Per the rules for TW Upgrades on page 107, our team has started spending their ill-gotten gains on TW upgrades (everyone in the group, save the Glitter Boy Pilot has PPE or ISP to burn) and I have a question on how the upgrades are activated.

If someone gets the major upgrade "+1 die type to a specific trait appropriate to the item" what, if any, is the PPE or ISP cost to activate that? The item in question is a suit of Cyber Knight Heavy armor. As I see it, it works one of two ways:

1) If the armor is active, i.e. the CK has paid his 1 ISP to activate it for the hour (which we're extrapolating from the Combat Mage Armor), then the +1 die (along with whatever else he adds) is active as well. This is my interpretation now.

Per the description of Major Upgrades, "As with Minor Upgrades, such abilities are only available when the device is charged." Unless the ability specifically says it increases the cost to charge (like adding an Edge), then the cost follows the basic rules for Techno-Wizard Devices (sidebar at the beginning of the Gear chapter).

Bookwyrmm wrote:Either way, these make TW mods verrrrrry powerful, especially given the relatively low cost of them.

Couple of points to keep in mind. The costs listed are the cost to the Techno-Wizard to add the upgrade not the selling cost (which would be much higher). So the cheaper cost is dependent on a Techno-Wizard PC who then has to make a roll at -4 using the lowest of three different skills.

Also, keep in mind the +1 die type to a Trait must be appropriate to the item, so a suit of armor can't have +1 die type to Fighting, Shooting, Notice, etc, but likely just something like Strength or Vigor.

Finally, the item in question is noted to be a suit of Cyber Knight Heavy Armor which is already maxed our in TW Upgrades. 2 slots to quarter weight, 2 slots for +4 Armor, 1 slot for +1 Toughness (Minor equivalent), and 1 slot for Barrier power. That uses all 2 Minor slots and 4 Major slots. So barring a Legendary Rank Techno-Wizard (which might be a quest all on its own), nothing else could be added to it.

Hope that helps.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work”