[SPC2] Merging powers

This topic is for rules questions related to products from Pinnacle outside the core rulebook (Settings, Companions, etc.). Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Myrmicus
Novice

[SPC2] Merging powers

#1 Postby Myrmicus » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:10 am

One of my players wanted to make two powers into one.
In this case, he wanted to have a character with a venomous scorpion tail, an Attack Melee power, but able to inflict poison on a wound or shaken result.
The problem is that I didn't find anything that allows it in the rulebook. I did look at the contingent modifier, but because of the wording and an answer to a previous question, it does not allow this.

Contingent -1 means one power must be used/maintined to be able to use the second.
Contingent -2 means one power must be successful to be able to use the second power.

But here, the idea is that the use of one power means the other power IS used (and potentially successful)
In the same vein, I would like to know how I could handle other combinations in the same vein :
- a toxic aura (Damage field + poison/infection)
- a toxic matter control (matter control which apply the poison/infection power)

I have another question regarding contingent : if using a power is an action, does another power with contingent -2 to this power count as a separate action (and, as such, cause a multiple action penalty) ?

Clint
Site Admin

Re: [SPC2] Merging powers

#2 Postby Clint » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:44 am

Myrmicus wrote:One of my players wanted to make two powers into one.
In this case, he wanted to have a character with a venomous scorpion tail, an Attack Melee power, but able to inflict poison on a wound or shaken result.
The problem is that I didn't find anything that allows it in the rulebook. I did look at the contingent modifier, but because of the wording and an answer to a previous question, it does not allow this.

Contingent -1 means one power must be used/maintined to be able to use the second.
Contingent -2 means one power must be successful to be able to use the second power.

But here, the idea is that the use of one power means the other power IS used (and potentially successful)

Not sure where the confusion is with Contingent, but that's pretty much exactly the description of the -2 version.

"For –2 points, the Contingent power is activated only with the success of the primary power."

Attack, Melee would be the primary power and Poison would be the contingent one.

So Poison would only ever activate if the Attack, Melee power was successful, meaning the attack would have to inflict at least a Shaken result on the target.

Myrmicus wrote:I have another question regarding contingent : if using a power is an action, does another power with contingent -2 to this power count as a separate action (and, as such, cause a multiple action penalty) ?

Nope, it's just a single action, but the contingent power only activates with the primary one and can't be used without it.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work”