[SR] TW Items: appropriate +1 die type

This topic is for rules questions related to products from Pinnacle outside the core rulebook (Settings, Companions, etc.). Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Kaandorian
Novice

[SR] TW Items: appropriate +1 die type

#1 Postby Kaandorian » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:48 am

Hello Clint, you recently stated:

Also, keep in mind the +1 die type to a Trait must be appropriate to the item, so a suit of armor can't have +1 die type to Fighting, Shooting, Notice, etc, but likely just something like Strength or Vigor.

(emphasis mine)

I am a bit confused: I assumed a +1 die type to Notice could be possible, due to a magic enhancement to the environmental sensors a suit of body armor already has.
Also, can't a TW upgrade the targeting systems of a power armor, or anything that has such equipment built in?

Thank you!

Clint
Site Admin

Re: [SR] TW Items: appropriate +1 die type

#2 Postby Clint » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:40 am

Kaandorian wrote:Hello Clint, you recently stated:

Also, keep in mind the +1 die type to a Trait must be appropriate to the item, so a suit of armor can't have +1 die type to Fighting, Shooting, Notice, etc, but likely just something like Strength or Vigor.

(emphasis mine)

I am a bit confused: I assumed a +1 die type to Notice could be possible, due to a magic enhancement to the environmental sensors a suit of body armor already has.

Body Armor doesn't have "environmental sensors." :? As a category, they effectively have basic radios and night vision. Neither of which is really appropriate for a die type increase to all Notice rolls. A GM could allow it with a limitation that it only applied to vision or perhaps even communication over the radio (in rare instances where a Notice roll might come up), but it's not such a primary aspect of Body Armor as a whole as to innately be appropriate to it (unless the GM deems otherwise).

Course, that's an overarching look, if a specific suit of Body Armor had advanced multi-function sensors (like audio), it could be possible.

Kaandorian wrote:Also, can't a TW upgrade the targeting systems of a power armor, or anything that has such equipment built in?

The discussion was referencing a suit of Body Armor (specifically Cyber-Knight Heavy Armor) not Power Armor. While Power Armor would certainly provide some additional options for upgrades, it also comes with a much longer time to install any such upgrades not to mention a much higher cost to even convert to TW to begin with.

That said, I'd still put an increase to Shooting on the not "appropriate to the item" list for Power Armor. A Trait which is "appropriate" would be tied to the direct use of the item not the use of a second item. So a Shooting increase could only be applied to an actual ranged weapon as that would be the direct use of the item, not a suit of Power Armor which happens to have a targeting system to enhance the use of a separate item.

Couple of ways to look at it.

One is grammatically, can the verb be directly attached to the device? "I'm Shooting the foe with the weapon" vs. "I'm Shooting the foe with the Power Armor." The latter isn't accurate unlike "I'm lifting the rock with the Power Armor" which fits for a Strength increase.

Or two is mechanically, could this potentially result in the stacking of TW bonuses from separate items? If the Trait is truly appropriate to the direct use of the item, then this shouldn't occur. So if the Power Armor had a TW Shooting increase, then the potential for stacking occurs if the pilot uses a weapon which also has a Shooting increase, so not possible. Comparatively, the pilot couldn't really use other sensory enhancement devices while in the Power Armor, so an increase to Notice does feel more appropriate.

Ultimately the decision is up to the GM, but if they do allow separate items to increase the same Trait then a non-stacking "use the highest effect" rule should likely be in place as well.

Hope that clarifies.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work”