***Rules Questions for SW Settings***

This topic is for rules questions related to products from Pinnacle outside the core rulebook (Settings, Companions, etc.). Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Clint
Site Admin

#621 Postby Clint » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:08 am

EvilJonUK wrote:Thats fair enough, was more suprised that there was no penalty for shooting into hand to hand combat. Thanks for the fast reply :)

Actually, there can be a penalty; you just use the rules for Cover.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

ogbendog
Legendary

#622 Postby ogbendog » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:28 am

Wiggy wrote:
Not quite. If the Shooting die is a 1, regardless of modifiers, you hit an innocent bystander. So the shotgun is no better or worse than a pistol. Not very realistic maybe, but we went for FFF rather than adding in sub-rules for diferent weapons in different situations.

Wiggy

I thought it was a 1 or a 2 for a shotgun (or 3 round burst)

edit: oh, but a 2 with the +2 would be a 4, which is a hit (unless the target is small or has dodge). thus the close range caveat

Wiggy
Legendary

#623 Postby Wiggy » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:44 am

ogbendog wrote:
Wiggy wrote:
Not quite. If the Shooting die is a 1, regardless of modifiers, you hit an innocent bystander. So the shotgun is no better or worse than a pistol. Not very realistic maybe, but we went for FFF rather than adding in sub-rules for diferent weapons in different situations.

Wiggy

I thought it was a 1 or a 2 for a shotgun (or 3 round burst)

edit: oh, but a 2 with the +2 would be a 4, which is a hit (unless the target is small or has dodge). thus the close range caveat

It is indeed a 1 or 2 for shotguns and automatic weapons. Again, it's natural rolls, not modified rolls which count.

Wiggy
Wiggy
Creative Director Triple Ace Games

MagusRogue
Seasoned

#624 Postby MagusRogue » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:18 pm

Alright, I;m confused a bit about two things, and I havent yet found an answer to either, officially.

1) The Atlantean race write-up doesn't mention them having Low-Light Vision. However, all atlantean npc's (including Dr Destruction) have LLV, as do V'sori (SPOILER)
(which are just evil Atlanteans, as far as I can tell).
(ENDING SPOILER) Are atlanteans suppose to get LLV for free?

2) What's the real cost for a z-belt? On the table at page 21, it costs 1000, but on page 23, it only costs 500. Which table is correct?
Last edited by MagusRogue on Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Adam Loyd
Freelancer and Proofreader (check me out in the Noir books!)
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this rant is over.

MagusRogue
Seasoned

#625 Postby MagusRogue » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:39 pm

I got another question.

According to the rules, you can use TK to move yourself, if your TK is strong enough. How fast do you move when using TK? 2d6" like moving other objects, or do you get a limited "free" Flight or the like?
Adam Loyd

Clint
Site Admin

#626 Postby Clint » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:13 pm

MagusRogue wrote:Alright, I;m confused a bit about two things, and I havent yet found an answer to either, officially.

1) The Atlantean race write-up doesn't mention them having Low-Light Vision. However, all atlantean npc's (including Dr Destruction) have LLV, as do V'sori (SPOILER)
(which are just evil Atlanteans, as far as I can tell).
(ENDING SPOILER) Are atlanteans suppose to get LLV for free?

NPCs aren't made like PCs. They have what the GM wants them to have. If you note the Sorcerer archetype is Atlantean and does not have Low Light Vision.

If a character wants Low Light (or Thermal) Vision, I handle it as a -1 Modifier on Dark Vision.

MagusRogue wrote:2) What's the real cost for a z-belt? On the table at page 21, it costs 1000, but on page 23, it only costs 500. Which table is correct?

I'm guessing you are looking at the PDF page numbers. In my book, it is on page 19 and 21, and in both places, the price is $500.

If your PDF has $1000 in it, let me know who you got your copy from and when. Just send me a PM.
Clint Black

www.peginc.com

Clint
Site Admin

#627 Postby Clint » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:15 pm

MagusRogue wrote:I got another question.

According to the rules, you can use TK to move yourself, if your TK is strong enough. How fast do you move when using TK? 2d6" like moving other objects, or do you get a limited "free" Flight or the like?

2d6" just like any other creature.

Though I've said before, there really isn't any problem letting a character with TK take the same Flight Modifier as under Force Control.
Clint Black

www.peginc.com

MagusRogue
Seasoned

#628 Postby MagusRogue » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:40 am

Alright, two last questions.

Is their rules for picking up a person (via Super-Strength or Telekinesis) and chunking them at another person? How much damage would that do to each? Would a person count as a boulder (or an equivalent weight, if heavier) under the Chewing the Scenery sidebar?

Also, what about the classic comic maneuver of grabbing two mooks and slamming their heads together?
Adam Loyd

Clint
Site Admin

#629 Postby Clint » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:36 am

MagusRogue wrote:Is their rules for picking up a person (via Super-Strength or Telekinesis) and chunking them at another person? How much damage would that do to each? Would a person count as a boulder (or an equivalent weight, if heavier) under the Chewing the Scenery sidebar?

Not usually. ;)

As it says under TK, slamming a person into an object does Strength damage.

If you wanted to slam them into another person, then you would need to make a Fighting roll to hit that person.

Optionally, the GM could make a call on the damage based on the specific character used. For instance, I might allow a character with Armor to get bonus damage equal to their Armor/2 rounded down. A character with Growth might add their Growth level. I might even count a character with Heavy Armor as a Heavy Weapon (though I'd be careful it didn't become a constant substitute for the Modifier).

MagusRogue wrote:Also, what about the classic comic maneuver of grabbing two mooks and slamming their heads together?

It'd be the description for attacking with both hands. For the classic version, I would also say it is a Wild Attack. Even without Ambidexterity and Two-Fisted, that's one attack at no penalty and a second at -2 with a +2 damage bonus to both rolls.

Hope this helps!
Clint Black

www.peginc.com

MagusRogue
Seasoned

#630 Postby MagusRogue » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:37 am

Clint wrote:
MagusRogue wrote:Is their rules for picking up a person (via Super-Strength or Telekinesis) and chunking them at another person? How much damage would that do to each? Would a person count as a boulder (or an equivalent weight, if heavier) under the Chewing the Scenery sidebar?

Not usually. ;)

As it says under TK, slamming a person into an object does Strength damage.

If you wanted to slam them into another person, then you would need to make a Fighting roll to hit that person.

Optionally, the GM could make a call on the damage based on the specific character used. For instance, I might allow a character with Armor to get bonus damage equal to their Armor/2 rounded down. A character with Growth might add their Growth level. I might even count a character with Heavy Armor as a Heavy Weapon (though I'd be careful it didn't become a constant substitute for the Modifier).

MagusRogue wrote:Also, what about the classic comic maneuver of grabbing two mooks and slamming their heads together?

It'd be the description for attacking with both hands. For the classic version, I would also say it is a Wild Attack. Even without Ambidexterity and Two-Fisted, that's one attack at no penalty and a second at -2 with a +2 damage bonus to both rolls.

Hope this helps!

So hitting two people into each other would simply do Strength damage to both? Maybe more if one has Armor/Growth (up to the GM)?
Adam Loyd

Wiggy
Legendary

#631 Postby Wiggy » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:03 am

Yep, same as a punch, kick, or headbutt.

Wiggy
Wiggy

obatron
Novice

Rippers questions

#632 Postby obatron » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:55 pm

I did a search but didn't find anything...could be me, could be it's not to be found...

1. Do players start belonging to the same lodge, or do they each have their own lodge? Does the GM create this lodge for them, or do they "start" it?

2. If the lodge has a sidekick (from the lodge edge), does the sidekick travel with the player as an ally or are they just "backup"?

Thanks

Wiggy
Legendary

Re: Rippers questions

#633 Postby Wiggy » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:43 pm

obatron wrote:I did a search but didn't find anything...could be me, could be it's not to be found...

1. Do players start belonging to the same lodge, or do they each have their own lodge? Does the GM create this lodge for them, or do they "start" it?

2. If the lodge has a sidekick (from the lodge edge), does the sidekick travel with the player as an ally or are they just "backup"?

Thanks

I assume this refer to Rippers? If so, it's all in the book.

"Rippers operate in small teams acting quite independently of the rest of the organization. The central meeting place for the teams in an area is the Ripper lodge."

The GM creates the starting lodge, which the heroes are just part of--they're junior members. When the heroes are Seasoned, they can create their own lodge to run.

"Each player should create a Novice character, who becomes their sidekick or student and who accompanies their hero as an ally."

Very few lodges have the necessary membership to get Sidekicks, though. I'd advise not starting a lodge that powerful--let the heroes start their own lodge and earn the Sidekicks.

Wiggy
Wiggy

obatron
Novice

Re: Rippers questions

#634 Postby obatron » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:08 pm

Wiggy wrote:
I assume this refer to Rippers? If so, it's all in the book.

"Rippers operate in small teams acting quite independently of the rest of the organization. The central meeting place for the teams in an area is the Ripper lodge."

The GM creates the starting lodge, which the heroes are just part of--they're junior members. When the heroes are Seasoned, they can create their own lodge to run.

"Each player should create a Novice character, who becomes their sidekick or student and who accompanies their hero as an ally."

Very few lodges have the necessary membership to get Sidekicks, though. I'd advise not starting a lodge that powerful--let the heroes start their own lodge and earn the Sidekicks.

Wiggy

Thanks, that's how I interpreted it, and not sure why I questioned the part about the sidekick. I just wasn't 100% positive about the lodge...

favwiz
Novice

NE: Teleport Question

#635 Postby favwiz » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:35 am

1. Can a shaken character use the Teleport power?
2. How do you handle the situation where a character teleports behind an opponent? Do they get a bonus to their attack since they are appearing at an unexpected location?
3. Is momentum conserved during the teleport? An example would be a falling character who teleports back to the top of a building. Do they still take the damage for the fall or does the teleport negate it?

Thanks.
Chris

Clint
Site Admin

Re: NE: Teleport Question

#636 Postby Clint » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:33 am

favwiz wrote:1. Can a shaken character use the Teleport power?

Yep. It's movement not an action. However, they would be at half distance as normal for being Shaken.

favwiz wrote:2. How do you handle the situation where a character teleports behind an opponent? Do they get a bonus to their attack since they are appearing at an unexpected location?

Well, it's not completely unexpected if the opponent knows the character can teleport.

I'd probably handle it like Stealth in combat. If the target is completely unaware of the character or his teleport power, then a success on an opposed Stealth roll gives the character The Drop.

If the target is aware of the character or his teleport power, then then character needs a raise to get The Drop as the target is on his guard.

favwiz wrote:3. Is momentum conserved during the teleport? An example would be a falling character who teleports back to the top of a building. Do they still take the damage for the fall or does the teleport negate it?

Depends on the trappings. I'd allow the player to choose as both versions have their pros and cons.

No momentum means you could teleport back to the top of a building while falling and be safe.

It also means if you teleport from one speeding vehicle to another right beside it, you'd take damage as for a collision because it's as if it hit you while you were standing still.

If a player wanted to automatically match the momentum of wherever he arrived, I'd probably make that a +1 Modifier.

Hope this helps.
Clint Black

www.peginc.com

The Dead Ranger
Seasoned

[Rippers] Gypsy Curse Edge

#637 Postby The Dead Ranger » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:26 pm

Is it just me or is the Gypsy Curse Edge in Rippers totally useless?

It requires Veteran Rank, d8 Persuasion and d8 Taunt, requires an action to use and is resisted by a stock TN 4 Spirit roll by the target and only produces the Shaken effect of a failed Test of Wills. Most of the time, it seems the character would be better of using her Taunt instead. If this had a Novice rank requirement, allowed the Gypsy to resist the target's Spirit roll or otherwise provide for a higher target number and/or allowed the curse to be used on multiple targets at once instead of just one target IMHO, it would be worth taking. As is, it seems way underpowered. Is my perception correct? Is there an errata version in the Rippers Companion?

Clint
Site Admin

Re: [Rippers] Gypsy Curse Edge

#638 Postby Clint » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:11 pm

The Dead Ranger wrote:Is it just me or is the Gypsy Curse Edge in Rippers totally useless?

It requires Veteran Rank, d8 Persuasion and d8 Taunt, requires an action to use and is resisted by a stock TN 4 Spirit roll by the target and only produces the Shaken effect of a failed Test of Wills. Most of the time, it seems the character would be better of using her Taunt instead. If this had a Novice rank requirement, allowed the Gypsy to resist the target's Spirit roll or otherwise provide for a higher target number and/or allowed the curse to be used on multiple targets at once instead of just one target IMHO, it would be worth taking. As is, it seems way underpowered. Is my perception correct? Is there an errata version in the Rippers Companion?

Let's break it down.

First, to get a Shaken result with Taunt, the player would have to get a raise over their target. In effect, that means to not be Shaken against a Taunt, the character would have to roll against a d8 - 4. So unless the player Aces, the TN:4 for Gypsy Curse will be harder to avoid as far as a Shaken goes. Or about 75% of the time, the player's roll would have less chance than a flat TN: 4.

Second, it takes an action, but there is no roll with Gypsy Curse. That is a benefit in and of itself. That means no matter how many other actions the character performs in that round, the Gypsy Curse always works and no Multi-Action Penalty would apply to it. No matter how many Wounds or Fatigue Levels or any other normal penalty to actions that have to be rolled, the Gypsy Curse always works just by taking an action.

Combine Gypsy Curse with some action a character has a bonus with, and it can be killer double-team combo. For example, consider the gypsy with Marksman and Gyspy Curse. If they don't move, they can force a character to make a Spirit roll or be Shaken, and then fire their weapon with no penalty (+2 and -2). And when they need to reload, they can run, reload, and still use the Gypsy Curse at no penalties (all actions that don't require Trait rolls).

Personally, I wouldn't say Gypsy Curse is totally useless, but I think it does depend on seeing its strengths.
Clint Black

www.peginc.com

Wiggy
Legendary

Re: [Rippers] Gypsy Curse Edge

#639 Postby Wiggy » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:12 pm

The Dead Ranger wrote:Is it just me or is the Gypsy Curse Edge in Rippers totally useless?

Well, GC can be better than a Taunt, if only because Taunt requries a raise over your opponent's opposed roll to get a Shaken result.

That said, there IS an errata version in the Rippers Companion. A new Edge in the Companion also requires the Gypsy Curse Edge as a requirement, which was another reason for fixing it in a published product.

Wiggy
Wiggy

The Dead Ranger
Seasoned

#640 Postby The Dead Ranger » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:59 pm

Thanks Clint and Wiggy for the replies.

I'll admit it's not totally useless, but I still think it's underpowered compared to other Veteran Edges, especially as the Gypsy blood requirement is effectively requiring the Outcast Hindrance on top of the other requirements.

I'm looking forward to seeing the errated version in the Companion. If we ever get to see this legendary tome which Wiggy has been taunting us with. ;-)

Thanks again for your time.

John W. Thompson

Return to “Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work”