Junkers makin' mundane stuff...

All discussions about the Wasted West and Way Out West settings. If system specific, please note in the subject line, [SW], [Classic], or [d20].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Dr. Schwartzwald
Novice

Junkers makin' mundane stuff...

#1 Postby Dr. Schwartzwald » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:41 am

Ok I like the junker class and want to play one but have an issue: Does every dang thing a junker makes have to be powered or held together by a spirit? Can't a junker make a perfectly ordinary gadget that just works like a normal machine and doesn't have to make a weekly roll for instability?

Suppose a town needs a supply of guns and ammo to defend itself. Can't a junker make ordinary pistols, rifles, assault rifles, SMGs, etc to sell the townsfolk to defend themselves?

or suppose a junker gets rightfully sick of general throckmorton and his black hat scum and decides to take a whizz on him by making copies of throckmorton's guns that can use his ammo and clips but lack that annoying seld desruct feature? Apparently throckmorton is cranking those guns out and they don;t need to make regular stability rolls.

So, can a junker make regular, non spirit powered stuff and just have them as normal devices? Sure they could not use super science or supernatural abilities, they' have to be complewtely mundane, but a plain old AK-4f is still a useful thing to have now and then, and it's nice to have some gear that doesn't have to make a weekly roll to avoid blowing up, breaking down, disappearing into thin air, etc.

I was wondering if a junker could use his powers to make tools that made regular machines that were not spirit powered, like molds and lathes to make new parts out of scrap metal, melt it down, treat it, harden it, mold it, etc into regular items.

I could see a classic junk gun being used to suck up scrap metal, melt it, purify it and sp[it out ingots into a hopper that would later be put into a bigger melter that could pout the purified, molten metal into molds and such. What would the rulke for a junker to do this so he could supply ordinary types of people ordinary machines they could use indefinitely without instability issues?

Demon
Seasoned

Re: Junkers makin' mundane stuff...

#2 Postby Demon » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:26 am

Yes and no. Can a Junker by virtue of his abilities make mundane stuff? No. Arcane engineering is more magic than science. Many Junkers tend to be versed in science because many of them were previously mad scientists, or traditional scientists, but that isn't always the case and certainly doesn't have to be. Junkers are for all intents purposes techno shaman. They cobble together equipment from the incorrect parts and the spirit does the rest.

However there is nothing stopping you from taking more traditional science or trade skills. Tinkering is very general purpose and it'd be up to your gm as to how much you can get away with using it. Trade: gunsmith allows you to build, repair, and modify mundane firearms, trade: mechanic would apply the same to vehicles.

Our party's Junker is a gunsmith by trade and uses it to make money. He has all the abilities to make Junker guns as well as bullets, but should the correct tools and materials be at his disposal he need not risk dealings with gun spirits.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you want to do mundane crafting or science you'll need to take the respective skills because arcane engineering is only really good for cobbling junk together and coaxing a spirit into making it work for you.

Dr. Schwartzwald
Novice

#3 Postby Dr. Schwartzwald » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:23 pm

So a junker can use his powers to help make a mundane item, like using tool spirits and such or using a junker magic device like a junk gun to gather and refine metals to make a mundane gun from, but as long as the gun itself is completely mundane and made with gunsmithin' or tinkerin' or similar skills it's not a weapon that has to roll for instability? Good. Have to keep a few such weapons on hand for those damn luddites.

Zero Mostel
Seasoned

#4 Postby Zero Mostel » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:00 pm

If a Junker in My game wanted to Make guns and stuff in LARGE amounts, I would suggest he make a Machine that makes them. After all, you do not just pick up a handful of sand and make a data probe. Normally you make tools to make tools to make better tools. A Junker and side step this and make a machine with a tech spirit that makes Guns, toasters or cars. Just each machine makes ONE sort of thing. Making a machine that can make anything? That kinda ruins the game.
As the chicken said to the lion, "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it."

:blam:

Dr. Schwartzwald
Novice

#5 Postby Dr. Schwartzwald » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:07 am

Yes, I know in some ways junkers setting up factories would be a problem, but in the context of the game reality the junkers and especially junkertown ought to be setting up weapon factories to build enough stuff to stop throckmorton's army. Yes I know how it played out in unity, but if the junkers didn't know that deus ex machina was coming they should have been building up a massive stock of arms to stop throckmorton.

I'm still newish to the game and of course with my luck got into it too late but I like it even tho i useally go for more hard SF stuff. I still like it.

Return to “Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony”