Junkman cometh stability chart

All discussions about the Wasted West and Way Out West settings. If system specific, please note in the subject line, [SW], [Classic], or [d20].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Dr. Schwartzwald
Novice

Junkman cometh stability chart

#1 Postby Dr. Schwartzwald » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:18 am

Why does the stability chart in "The junkman cometh" Have 2 Entries for a 19 Result on a d20?

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Junkman cometh stability chart

#2 Postby Clint » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:51 am

Dr. Schwartzwald wrote:Why does the stability chart in "The junkman cometh" Have 2 Entries for a 19 Result on a d20?

Probably failed its own Stability Check. ;)

I think the second 19 should be 20 with the 20+ being anything more than 20.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Dr. Schwartzwald
Novice

#3 Postby Dr. Schwartzwald » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:20 pm

After thinking on nit for a while I decided to drop the current 20 result (KABOOM!) and replace it with the "Sucked into the hunting grounds" result. The current 20 result will likely kill the junker and ruin all his gear, kinda just too much to happen on one roll and makes playing a junker pretty unattractive if you have to roll every time you use your stuff and if you roll double 20's (1 in 400 chance i admit) you basically die.

I don't have the other sourcebooks for other character types like templars, sykers, etc. Do they all have similar "You die" conditions on their powers?

Getting sucked into the hunting grounds is pretty bad enough but not something that will either kill or cripple the character pretty much for sure. Also if the guy's been a good player a marshall can even work in a way for him to benefit a little from it or at least not get hosed too badly.

Clint
Site Admin

#4 Postby Clint » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:42 pm

Dr. Schwartzwald wrote:After thinking on nit for a while I decided to drop the current 20 result (KABOOM!) and replace it with the "Sucked into the hunting grounds" result. The current 20 result will likely kill the junker and ruin all his gear, kinda just too much to happen on one roll and makes playing a junker pretty unattractive if you have to roll every time you use your stuff and if you roll double 20's (1 in 400 chance i admit) you basically die.

I don't have the other sourcebooks for other character types like templars, sykers, etc. Do they all have similar "You die" conditions on their powers?

Sykers do. If they roll a 20, they get one roll, fail, and their head explodes acting like a grenade to anyone nearby. Doomsayers get a mutation based on a deck draw of which half are bad, and yeah, a Black Joker means the character "explodes in an incredible flash of gruesome mutations and dies." Templars don't really have anything like that, but their abilities aren't nearly in the "drop a nuke from orbit" that a Syker, Doomsayer, or Junker can pull off.

Honestly, Junkers are pretty universally considered to be the most overpowered of the ABs from Classic. They only have to make a Stability roll the first time they use a device each day, so unlike other ABs, they don't face their backlash every single time they use a power. Plus, they can modify the result of the Instability roll. Devices with a Stability higher than 20 subtract the difference from the Instability Table, so just getting a 22 makes 19 or 20 results impossible. And getting a higher Stability isn't that hard when the Junker can just make a new device with the same powers.

Anyway, reduce the bite on them and it will definitely need changes to all the others.
Clint Black

Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony”