Grundy Super Soldier

All discussions about the Wasted West and Way Out West settings. If system specific, please note in the subject line, [SW], [Classic], or [d20].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Barney
Seasoned

Grundy Super Soldier

#1 Postby Barney » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:32 am

I always assumed that the Grundy pill was pretty much the same as the Super Soldier formula, tweeked by Silas' glow. On reading the info on both I can't see an immediate reason a character couldn't take both as long as they found a way to get super soldiered growing up as a Grundy. Anyone have any thoughts as to why a character couldn't be both Grundy and Super Soldier?

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Grundy Super Soldier

#2 Postby Clint » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:28 am

Barney wrote:I always assumed that the Grundy pill was pretty much the same as the Super Soldier formula, tweeked by Silas' glow. On reading the info on both I can't see an immediate reason a character couldn't take both as long as they found a way to get super soldiered growing up as a Grundy. Anyone have any thoughts as to why a character couldn't be both Grundy and Super Soldier?

Specifically stated in the Accumulated Rulings to not be possible. Just to cover all the Grundy answers available (last answer being most relevant here)...

Doomsayers: Grundies

Q) Can Grundies take the Omega Man mutation? - darrin

A) Nope. [John Hopler, HoE listserv, 7/16/99]

Q) I'm pretty sure Grundies can't take minor or major mutations as edges/hindrances. What if they get caught in a radstorm, or poke around some ruins too long... can they acquire mutations that way? If so, what if they wind up with one of the age-related mutations? - darrin

A) Correct, Grundies cannot take mutations as Edges or Hindrances. I'd have to say that Grundies are immune to mutations in general, even those of supernatural origin. Their hyper-accelerated metabolisms and immune systems simply squash any mutated cells before they can grow into full-blown mutations. [John Hopler, HoE listserv, 7/16/99]

Q) Can Grundies become Initiates and learn Doomsayer powers? How about Hekants? - darrin

A) Nope, they just aren't able to grasp the concepts needed to tap the Glow.[John Hopler, HoE listserv, 7/16/99]

Q) It seems obvious enough a Grundy wouldn't have enough time to become a normal Syker. Can they be Greenies? - darrin

A) Since a greenie's abilities usually manifest on their own, and require no study, Grundys can be greenies. [John Hopler, HoE listserv, 7/16/99]

Q) I think its safe to say Grundies can become Companions, but how about Templars, provided the Grundy has the necessary skills or goes through the year or service as a squire? - darrin

A) They can become Companions, but not Templars. Grundies are far too emotionally immature to administer the Templars test of worth, and Simon would never make one a full-fledged Templar. A Grundie Templar would likely protect a band of cutthroats who treated him nicely and gave him candy and turn his back on a settlement that yelled at him for breaking something. [John Hopler, HoE listserv, 7/16/99]

Q) Next... what about Grundy Junkers? Don't seem to be any major requirements for Junking, other than Academia Occult and such. - darrin

A) Nope, as with Doomsayers, junker magic is too complex a subject for Grundies simple minds. The thing to remember with a Grundy is that you are dealing with someone who at best is the mental equal of a 6-year-old. That's the official ruling, but if your Marshal wants to allow a Grundy who's a prodigy, he can allow the character to take any arcane background he wants (of course this holds true for every other rule in the book). From a game balance stand point combining Grundy with most of the arcane backgrounds is simply too powerful. [John Hopler, HoE listserv, 7/16/99]

Q) And... of course... if the serum were available, could Grundies become Super Soldiers? - darrin

A) No, the syndrome has already cranked their body's performance up as high as it will go. [John Hopler, HoE listserv, 7/16/99]
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony”