Hell on Earth survival tips.

All discussions about the Wasted West and Way Out West settings. If system specific, please note in the subject line, [SW], [Classic], or [d20].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Dr. Schwartzwald
Novice

Hell on Earth survival tips.

#1 Postby Dr. Schwartzwald » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:39 am

Water found in the deadlands can kill you, but not drinking will definitely kill you. Boiling water is a good idea, and here's a good way to do it: When your friendly junker js burning ghost rock to collect g rays, put a big steel pot full of water from a stream or a water hole on it with a lid that has a hose leading to a collection bucket. The water will be boiled and the steam collected in the bucket as purified water. So you get your g rays and safe water at the same time.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: Hell on Earth survival tips.

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:29 am

Because nothing bad could possibly happen using Ghost Rock to boil drinking water. :roll:
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Gut0nez
Novice

#3 Postby Gut0nez » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:59 am

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well... If just using ghost rock to forge metal creates ghost metal, it might not be a good idea to use it to boil water for drinking. Just boiling the water over a regular fire still seems much safer. You just never know with ghost rock.
"Did I fire six shots, or only five? Three? Seven. Whatever." - Unkempt Harold

Dr. Schwartzwald
Novice

#4 Postby Dr. Schwartzwald » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:59 pm

Well, as is the rules don't say that the heat from ghost rock is harmful in any special way. Plus the water doesn't make contact with the burning ghost rock. You're just using the heat from it. Also the G ray converter is absorbing and storing the G rays it gives off in G ray batteries so they G rays shouldn't be getting in the water.

BTW, fuel oil is toxic but the heat burning it gives off is keeping my house comfortable right now. Plus a lot if water heaters work by burning a gas that would be toxic to breath.

Nemekath
Novice

#5 Postby Nemekath » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:48 pm

The classic corebook mentions that some junkers cook their meals on the collectors (but only when they cool the collector down with water)

It's probably not very healthy but not any more then being a junker and working with irradiated ghost rock...

Dr. Schwartzwald
Novice

#6 Postby Dr. Schwartzwald » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:20 am

Again the G rays are being absorbed by the battery, that's the whole point of a g ray collector you know. And I was talking about a regular G ray collector, not a nuke version.

Return to “Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony”