Chi Powers?

All discussions about the Wasted West and Way Out West settings. If system specific, please note in the subject line, [SW], [Classic], or [d20].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: Chi Powers?

#21 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:54 pm

The decades thing wasn't an oversight. It was a deliberate design decision.
Noir isn't like the Weird West or Hell On Earth. Those are expansive view of the entire setting over a period of years, with information about the entire world (though mostly North America).
Noir is a series of snapshots. One city during a span of a few years, letting you tell noir-style stories in a new location with it's own unique feel.

... and I get ninja'd by the author. :o :roll:

Jounichi wrote:The biggest hangup for me, at is the same I got the map, my wife also got me a book chock full of noir stories. A century's worth, in fact. It's...hard reading. Everyone's compromised. Even the "heroes" don't come out smelling like roses, and it's tough for me to want to run a game like that. I'm not sure I have the players who want to inhabit characters with such filthy souls. I'd hate to throw down the money on something I might never use.

And that's a serious concern; Noir stories tend to be dark, and everyone is dirty (that's explicitly called out in the Deadlands: Noir book).
For those of us that like being Heroes, it's a rough fit and not something we'll probably ever run. (If I ever do start a Deadlands: Noir game then my friends can take that as a sign for an intervention of some kind.) But it's a good couple of books with setting rules and plot information I've found inspiring.
If I were buying it now, instead of part of the kickstarter, then I'd keep it a second order purchase priority.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

marshal kt
Legendary

#22 Postby marshal kt » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:33 pm

Thanks John, that must've been what he saw; the brief mention in the Psykers section.

It was more of a matter for me, wanting to know where he could've seen it.
He didn't remember and it doesn't matter anyway.

Thanks again.
"I had a Me-llennial call me senile because he didn't like my ruling as GM."

Brickulos
Veteran

#23 Postby Brickulos » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:20 pm

Well, it's a relief that it doesn't matter.

Gut0nez
Novice

#24 Postby Gut0nez » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:28 pm

ValhallaGH wrote:The decades thing wasn't an oversight. It was a deliberate design decision.
Noir isn't like the Weird West or Hell On Earth. Those are expansive view of the entire setting over a period of years, with information about the entire world (though mostly North America).
Noir is a series of snapshots. One city during a span of a few years, letting you tell noir-style stories in a new location with it's own unique feel.

I just wanna make clear that I don't personally think it was an oversight and I'm actually not bothered by the different time period thing. I was just repeating what was said in some of the negative reviews, as that's what was asked. The way I look at it, a Companion is just something to bring a little extra flavor to the setting, so I honestly don't think it matters all that much.

John Goff wrote:1) The idea for Noir was also a smaller one than the Weird West. Most of the best-known noir fiction is claustrophobic in scale. Characters seldom go galavanting across the country to solve a murder. It can happen, sure--but most stories are more focused on a single city and the locations and individuals therein. A single detailed city fits that model better than the vast regional scope of Deadlands Reloaded or Hell on Earth. Both of those are far more epic in scale. Characters in those settings are often concerned with major, possibly world-changing, events. In Noir, the local private dick or reporter is concerned with the troubles of individuals.

2) We had a very hard time deciding which era to use. There are iconic stories set across the period from the 20s to the 50s (and beyond), each drawing on major events of the time. I bullied my choice for the Depression era into the core book. We also had a couple of micro-settings we wanted to touch on without necessarily producing an entire book behind it--gangsters and atomic mutations being the main ones. Providing a city for each iconic period seemed the best choice to address those desires. Want to play a WWII veteran who's world-weary and unimpressed by the glitter of the post-war period? We have it. Want to play a detective digging into a mystery that may reach to the level of national secrets? It's there. Want to go toe-to-toe with Capone's gangster goons in the heyday of the Chicago mobs? Yup.

Now, all of that does sound very cool indeed. It's actually a very clever way of expanding a setting to reflect an entire genre within just a single supplement. That it actually does so without betraying the original intended style and scope of the setting is even more clever. Perfectly explained, straight from the author's mouth (well, the tip of his fingers, actually).
"Did I fire six shots, or only five? Three? Seven. Whatever." - Unkempt Harold

Return to “Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony”