(hoe) cost of fencing for electric fence.

All discussions about the Wasted West and Way Out West settings. If system specific, please note in the subject line, [SW], [Classic], or [d20].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

deadlander
Seasoned

(hoe) cost of fencing for electric fence.

#1 Postby deadlander » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:19 am

hi guys and gals, any idea on the cost i should charge for a 10 foot wide 10 foot high section?
adam

UndeadParrot
Novice

Re: (hoe) cost of fencing for electric fence.

#2 Postby UndeadParrot » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:05 am

Hey,

Off-the-shelf fence segments for private use are often 8 foot wide and max. 7 foot high.
Those cost about $300 per section including posts etc.
10x10 is nearly double the area, so I'd probably charge my posse around $500 to $600...

I'm having something in mind like this:
No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'! Remarkable bird, the Norwegian Blue, idn'it, ay? Beautiful plumage!

Phasma Felis
Seasoned

#3 Postby Phasma Felis » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:32 pm

I'm not sure modern-day real-world prices are a good match for HoE, seeing as how it's after the Apocalypse and "money" is just an abstraction for random trade goods anyway. :)

Besides which, expensive prefab security fencing is way overkill. All you need to make an electric fence is some fenceposts and sturdy wire. IRL, you can get a quarter-mile spool for about $25.

UndeadParrot
Novice

#4 Postby UndeadParrot » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:44 am

Yeah, I know it should be abstraction for random trade goods, but you always need a starting point, and for me that's mostly real-world prices.
I think such fencing can be really useful in HoE so I wouldn't drop the price too much but rather base it more on availability in the area where the posse is located/looking (lugging lots of these around for many miles is also quite impractical IMHO):
- Few monsters, lots of abandones sites with such fencing: real cheap or grab as much as you can ($50 to 0).
- Lots of monsters (especially types that this sort of fence will keep out, e.g. dumb zombies), rural area without fenced warehouse disctricts (or similar): awfully expensive and scarce! ($500 to 1000).

Of course, if a simple electrical wire will do, it will be much cheaper and easier to acquire. But we didn't take makeshift fences into account either, so assembling such fencing from scraps and bits can be quite a bit cheaper, too.

I don't exactly recall what the price for material components (for Junkers) was, maybe around 5$? Depending on how large one such component is (maybe 10 for a fence section?), you can approach it from this angle...
No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'! Remarkable bird, the Norwegian Blue, idn'it, ay? Beautiful plumage!

deadlander
Seasoned

#5 Postby deadlander » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:36 am

that is spot on undeadparrot, thank you !!

UndeadParrot
Novice

#6 Postby UndeadParrot » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:33 am

Glad to help :)

Oh, and by the way: I think a high-voltage device for electrical fences is somewhere between $50 and 100; of course, you'll also need a power source (generator or battery)...

Return to “Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony”