Savage Houserules to Discourage Tanks

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Ilina_Young
Veteran

Savage Houserules to Discourage Tanks

#1 Postby Ilina_Young » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:01 pm

i play with a lot of houserules because i hate the idea that somebody can somehow play a tanky character and think their lack of offensive output is compensated by their amazing defense. but here is something i need to point out, tanking doesn't help your companions, it hinders them, and i wanted to find ways to encourage the idea of choosing between a high parry and a toughness with the following 2 houserules.

"Fatigue is Crippling"

this setting rule is designed to represent how crippling fatigue can be and give it a bit more bite to make games a bit more lethal. the basic premise is that each -1 penalty from fatigue applies as a penalty to to your parry and a penalty to your pace to a minimum parry and pace of 1 each.

"Gear is Heavy"

this setting rule is intended to give Encumbrance more Sting, each -1 of encumbrance penalty applies as a -1 penalty to pace and a -1 penalty to parry to a minimum pace and parry of 1 each. in addition, being heavily encumbered is bad in the desert or the mountains, so each -1 penalty from encumbrance applies to vigor rolls made against fatigue. it matters not whether the fatigue is caused by hot, by cold, by high altitude or by forced marches or by anything similar to them.

now, the tank has to choose between decently equipped and having a high toughness and having lots of weapons or being mobile and having a high parry and pace.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: Savage Houserules to Discourage Tanks

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:31 pm

Ilina_Young wrote:now, the tank has to choose between decently equipped and having a high toughness and having lots of weapons or being mobile and having a high parry and pace.

I think the effect will be that players pay closer attention to Load Limits. This makes Brawny even more important for Tough builds (+1 Toughness and +60% Load Limit), and will strongly encourage higher Strength for anyone that wants to carry lots of stuff (armor, weapons, medical supplies, survival gear, or all of them).

For example, the Great Weapon Fighter archetype will be basically unchanged. Still has a natural Toughness 6, Parry 7, and a Load Limit of 80#, letting him use any armor combination (plate + great helm + large shield = 78#) and potentially a strong weapon with a good armor combination (plate + great helm + medium shield + long sword = 78#). That second combination results in Parry 8 and Toughness 9 (3); expect Vigor to go up quickly.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Jounichi
Legendary

#3 Postby Jounichi » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:51 am

I don't think any style of play should be discouraged. Players shouldn't feel punished for wanting to play a particular way.
"Rush not in to fights. Long is the war. Only by surviving it, will you prevail." -Yoda
"Wise man once say, 'forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.'" -Michelangelo

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#4 Postby ValhallaGH » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:06 am

Jounichi wrote:Players shouldn't feel punished for wanting to play a particular way.

That's a silly thing to say. If a player wants to play by insulting the other players, being disruptive, attempting to shatter the social dynamic of the play group, and diminishing overall fun then that behavior should be discouraged. Punishment is an excellent form of discouragement.

Playing a high Toughness character doesn't generally fall into any of those categories, so shouldn't generally be punished.
But that's a separate conversation.
Ilina was offering a couple of house rules to discourage the "Tough but Useless" characters. Directly, the rules don't do much to discourage the style - but they do make Encumbrance and Load Limit a more important game mechanic, indirectly encouraging tough characters to also be strong, which subtly encourages them to have a powerful offense to mirror their powerful defense.

Jounichi
Legendary

#5 Postby Jounichi » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:16 am

ValhallaGH wrote:
Jounichi wrote:Players shouldn't feel punished for wanting to play a particular way.

That's a silly thing to say. If a player wants to play by insulting the other players, being disruptive, attempting to shatter the social dynamic of the play group, and diminishing overall fun then that behavior should be discouraged. Punishment is an excellent form of discouragement.

Not remotely what I meant, but I can see how you arrived there. I should have been more specific. I don't consider that kind of "play" to actually be playing and would actively discourage such activity. Up to and including asking them to leave.
"Rush not in to fights. Long is the war. Only by surviving it, will you prevail." -Yoda

"Wise man once say, 'forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.'" -Michelangelo

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#6 Postby ValhallaGH » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:34 am

I was fairly certain you didn't mean to include such behavior, but language is slippery and absolutes are generally dangerous.
I've had a lot of reminders about the slipperiness of language and importance of clarity in the last few months. I figured it was only proper to share some that of that painfully acquired wisdom. :)

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”