Marvel (FASERIP) to SW

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

kreider204
Heroic

Marvel (FASERIP) to SW

#1 Postby kreider204 » Fri May 28, 2010 6:52 pm

Anyone here familiar with the old TSR Marvel Superheroes RPG? I'm wanting to convert some characters to SW Supers, and this is what I've come up with for ability / power ranks:

Feeble = d4-2
Poor = d4
Typical = d6
Good = d8
Excellent = d10
Remarkable = d12
Incredible = d12+2
Amazing = d12+4
Monstrous = d12+6
Unearthly = d12+8

Does that seem about right?

Thanks in advance.
"It only takes an extra second to be courteous."
- Constable Benton Fraser

therealtony
Seasoned

#2 Postby therealtony » Sat May 29, 2010 1:16 am

This link might be of some interest to you

FASERIP TO SW

kreider204
Heroic

#3 Postby kreider204 » Sat May 29, 2010 9:56 am

Well, look at that! Thanks!

Talison
Seasoned

#4 Postby Talison » Sat May 29, 2010 11:47 am

Awesome how anything you want to Savage has already been done.

chitownroy
Veteran

#5 Postby chitownroy » Sat May 29, 2010 12:14 pm

Wow now that is very cool. I have all of the Marvel supplements but have never really liked the system.

Talison
Seasoned

#6 Postby Talison » Sat May 29, 2010 12:45 pm

I'm the same way. I know some people loved FASERIP but I never liked it. Still, I have a lot of the books for character reference.

kreider204
Heroic

#7 Postby kreider204 » Sat May 29, 2010 1:27 pm

I love Marvel, but it would definitely be fun to crossover some Marvel characters with Necessary Evil.

I'm not sure I totally agree with that conversion, but it does give a good place to start. Thanks again!

therealtony
Seasoned

#8 Postby therealtony » Sat May 29, 2010 1:38 pm

wow, thanks!!..

It makes me really happy that folks are finding this stuff useful...:)

Talison
Seasoned

#9 Postby Talison » Sat May 29, 2010 5:26 pm

Yeah, I love your stuff. I refer to it often.

appelbrei
Novice

Re: Marvel (FASERIP) to SW

#10 Postby appelbrei » Wed May 11, 2016 12:25 pm

Hi there.
Although in know, that this Thread is quite outdated, i hope that someone can help me with this: I have nearly everything ever published for the TSR "FASERIP"-System. I must admit that i never really played it because i did not like the rules. But now, with the german Version of the Superhero-Compendium for Savage Worlds (Yes, i am german), i would really love to play in a Marvel Setting. Unfortunately i am not really firm with the SW-System because i am relatively new to it. I found this Thread searching for conversion rules or any help with converting FASERIP-Characters into the SW-Rules. But the link to the Conversion-Help in the second post is dead. So here is my question: does anyone habe the image that was behind this link? Or has anyone converted FASERIP-Characters to SW? I would be really thankful for helping me on this issues. (I hope my English is not to bad, i am a bit rusty).
Thanks in advance

SavageGamerGirl
Legendary

#11 Postby SavageGamerGirl » Thu May 12, 2016 7:25 am

Looking back at this, I probably wouldn't make Feeble d4-2 for things that convert directly to a Savage Worlds attribute. There isn't a precedent for attributes being d4-2.

Instead, I'd make it d4 + some Hindrance that affects the stat in question. Feeble Endurance would be d4 Vigor + Anemic, for example. Reasoning at Feeble would be d4 Smarts + Clueless. Feeble Agility is d4 Agility + Lame. Things that map to Skills (like Fighting and Intuition [for Notice], sure, use the "Untrained" level of d4-2.

Just my tuppence.

Unfortunately I can't really suggest any conversion advice other than what's here. It's been a long, long time since I played the old FASERIP system.

I've seen some good conversions of the movie versions of the Marvel characters. I'll see if I can find them again and link them.
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here.'
The Order of the Dice... OF DOOM!

SeeleyOne
Veteran

#12 Postby SeeleyOne » Sat May 14, 2016 11:01 am

I have allowed some people to have d4-2 and d4-1 in an attribute. I came up with some race mods, where it is the reverse of a higher starting die in an attribute. In their case. the maximum for the attribute is lowered. So a race with a d4-2 as their "d4" will have a d8 as their "d12". I just treat it like a die step in the negative direction, as opposed to d12+1 and above. I prefer this over the strangeness of changing the price of attributes.

Just because it has not appeared in a published SW product does not mean that you cannot do it.
Just about every kid today wants to be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman. Maybe if we were better parents they would not want to become orphans.

To be evil is to live backwards

Jounichi
Legendary

#13 Postby Jounichi » Sat May 14, 2016 4:52 pm

SeeleyOne wrote:I have allowed some people to have d4-2 and d4-1 in an attribute. I came up with some race mods, where it is the reverse of a higher starting die in an attribute. In their case. the maximum for the attribute is lowered. So a race with a d4-2 as their "d4" will have a d8 as their "d12". I just treat it like a die step in the negative direction, as opposed to d12+1 and above. I prefer this over the strangeness of changing the price of attributes.

Just because it has not appeared in a published SW product does not mean that you cannot do it.

You may wish to look at the SFC and it's new race creation guidelines. Compared to SWD, a flat -1/-2 modifier to your attribute die is a -2/-3 ability. I find it better than the old rules because it's easier to meet the requirements for Edges than the old double-cost, but I also don't happen to think it's particularly clear on how it interacts with some of the other rules. Does D6-2 Strength still grant Load Limit 30, or is it 20? Can they take Brawny at D6-2, or do they need to be D8-2? Is it just for Trait rolls, or does it also impact minimum Strength for weapons and melee damage rolls?

I'm not sure a formal inquiry was ever made on the forums, and if I decide to go with these rules in a tweaked 50 Fathoms campaign down the line I'll ask them then. In the mean time, however, you're more than welcome to beat me to the punch.
"Rush not in to fights. Long is the war. Only by surviving it, will you prevail." -Yoda
"Wise man once say, 'forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.'" -Michelangelo

SeeleyOne
Veteran

#14 Postby SeeleyOne » Sat May 14, 2016 6:17 pm

Yeah, that d6-2 did bug me. Having it start at d4-2 or d4-1 seemed to me to be the simpler option. I just have each attribute point be worth -2 in the case of a negative or +2 for a positive. I had always found the 3 for a +2 steps to an attribute to be too much. But I do recognize that it is based on the premise that a race will cost 2. I allow more variability in the race designs for my campaigns. We aim for 2, but sometimes you end up with a different number and it is silly to dump on some hindrances just to lower it to two. I treat the d4-1 and d4-2 as a d4 for purposes of calculations on the die, as it still is a d4. So I would imagine that the d6-2 is similar, but it really does look weird.
Just about every kid today wants to be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman. Maybe if we were better parents they would not want to become orphans.

To be evil is to live backwards

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”