Savage Power Rangers?

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Shenron
Seasoned

Savage Power Rangers?

#1 Postby Shenron » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:56 am

So, after being bored on Netflix the other day I started to watch the old school power rangers and the whole concept is actually pretty awesome.

Has anyone attempted this? Any thoughts?
"Barbarianism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is the whim of circumstance. And barbarianism must ultimately triumph.” - Robert E. Howard

SavageGamerGirl
Legendary

#2 Postby SavageGamerGirl » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:54 am

I never watched the show, so aside from "use the Super Powers Companion," I don't have any suggestions.
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here.'
The Order of the Dice... OF DOOM!

inquisition6
Seasoned

#3 Postby inquisition6 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:38 pm

Post-necro, but did you see the new short film? Seems pretty cool.
*grabs goblin* "Speak common!" *punch* "SPEAK COMMON!"

My Fledgling RPG Blog: http://criticaldelirium.blogspot.com/

Nordicnomad
Seasoned

#4 Postby Nordicnomad » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:57 pm

inquisition6 wrote:Post-necro, but did you see the new short film? Seems pretty cool.

Saw that this morning. Really amazing looking short film.

http://io9.com/holy-hell-this-power-rangers-reboot-is-dark-as-f-ck-1687689958
“He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night and the storm in the heart of the sun. He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and can see the turn of the universe. and... he's wonderful."

sniffycrab
Seasoned

#5 Postby sniffycrab » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:34 pm

Well the SUPERS COMPANION has this covered. It has rules for teams, rules for changing costumes 'modes' and you can work something out for the mecha. The hardest part will be getting 5 people to play with an almost identical set of powers.

That and who controls the combined Zords.

Lord Skudley
Heroic

#6 Postby Lord Skudley » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:19 am

Nordicnomad wrote:
inquisition6 wrote:Post-necro, but did you see the new short film? Seems pretty cool.

Saw that this morning. Really amazing looking short film.

http://io9.com/holy-hell-this-power-rangers-reboot-is-dark-as-f-ck-1687689958

Dang......
Proud co-creator of the 1,000+ Random Encounter Generator found here!

Jounichi
Legendary

#7 Postby Jounichi » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:09 am

sniffycrab wrote:Well the SUPERS COMPANION has this covered. It has rules for teams, rules for changing costumes 'modes' and you can work something out for the mecha. The hardest part will be getting 5 people to play with an almost identical set of powers.

That and who controls the combined Zords.

Look to Mutants & Masterminds for a hack. The Mecha & Manga supplement has rules for gestalt robots.
"Rush not in to fights. Long is the war. Only by surviving it, will you prevail." -Yoda
"Wise man once say, 'forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.'" -Michelangelo

NicholasMinora
Novice

Re: Savage Power Rangers?

#8 Postby NicholasMinora » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:35 pm

Hi, i see your point and perhaps if you understand portuguese i create some simple rules to play tokusatsu with savage worlds.

Akerbakk
Novice

#9 Postby Akerbakk » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:13 am

We now have a summer blockbuster on its way. I'm interested in how they spin the Power Rangers for the big screen in 2017. Might be worth waiting to see if aspects from the movie could be incorporated into your conversion.

I agree that SPC is a good fit to make Savage Power Rangers work. Science Fiction companion could be useful for the Zords. I'd also scour forums for any conversions of kung-fu action/wuxia like material.

Check your setting rules to get the right feel for how dark/ campy you want to go.

A final thought is to look at Savage Rifts. Giant monsters squaring off against powered mecha is commonplace.

Deskepticon
Veteran

#10 Postby Deskepticon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:05 am

As already mentioned, the biggest issue I see is that everyone will have an identical power set. The quick and dirty recourse would be to give each Ranger a specialized power, even if that diverts from source material. (I.E., Pink Ranger can Heal, Black Ranger can turn invisible/blend with shadow, etc.)

It's a bit off topic, but it may be more fruitful to convert Captain Planet into a gritty campaign. It's the same general concept (random kids chosen to fight some percieved "evil"), though the villians in this case are less black&white; the cause is more ambiguous and subjective.
News Headline: "Planeteers shut down Globo-chem plant, Thousands unemployed and stockmarket plunges" :lol:

Kendermage
Seasoned

#11 Postby Kendermage » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:37 am

Deskepticon wrote:As already mentioned, the biggest issue I see is that everyone will have an identical power set. The quick and dirty recourse would be to give each Ranger a specialized power, even if that diverts from source material. (I.E., Pink Ranger can Heal, Black Ranger can turn invisible/blend with shadow, etc.)

There is precedent in Power Rangrs for that very thing. SPD and Dino Thunder both had each of the rangers possessing different powers.

Deskepticon wrote:It's a bit off topic, but it may be more fruitful to convert Captain Planet into a gritty campaign. It's the same general concept (random kids chosen to fight some percieved "evil"), though the villians in this case are less black&white; the cause is more ambiguous and subjective.
News Headline: "Planeteers shut down Globo-chem plant, Thousands unemployed and stockmarket plunges" :lol:

"Lootin Plunder sues Planeteers for using Captain Planet to blow up his Logging Agency."
"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."

George Carlin

Snate56
Legendary

#12 Postby Snate56 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:43 am

Kendermage wrote:"Lootin Plunder sues Planeteers for using Captain Planet to blow up his Logging Agency."

This problem will go away as soon as enough CEOs fall off of cliffs...

SteveN
"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reasons."
>Mark Twain<

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”