Savage Borderlands

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Helmut Moute
Novice

Savage Borderlands

#1 Postby Helmut Moute » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:11 am

Hello Savages,

I made a Savage Worlds adaptation of the Borderlands video games.
It's in French, but I'm in the process of translating it to English. The only problem is my English is far from perfect and I'd like it to be well written.

So I'm looking for a Savage Worlds fan who could rewrite it in proper English. It might be a tedious task, but I hope someone here will be OK with it :)

Thanks!

You can download the game and character sheets in French here :
http://arfe.net/savage-borderlands/
Why wait when you can eat yourself alive today ?

Helmut Moute
Novice

Re: Savage Borderlands

#2 Postby Helmut Moute » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:30 pm

Hello all,

Just to let you know the rules are completely translated into English.
I still have to translate the bestiary, but the reste is here:
http://arfe.net/savage-borderlands/

Any feedback is welcome!

Deskepticon
Veteran

#3 Postby Deskepticon » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:11 pm

The download button for the english version is linking to a trashed file.

Gut0nez
Novice

#4 Postby Gut0nez » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:32 pm

You just put two of my favorite things in the world together, so... Thank you! :D

The PDF looks really nice. Can't wait for the full english translation and I'll certainly take a closer look at the rules when I have some free time.
"Did I fire six shots, or only five? Three? Seven. Whatever." - Unkempt Harold

Phasma Felis
Seasoned

#5 Postby Phasma Felis » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:42 am

Deskepticon wrote:The download button for the english version is linking to a trashed file.

It works for me on my laptop, but a friend tried to open it on her Android phone and got the same "file is trashed" error. Not sure what that's about.

The formatting is kinda messed up from page 148 on. Also, I don't speak French, but I'm guessing "ame" means "Spirit" and someone search-and-replaced it without looking? Because everywhere the word "same" should be it's replaced with "sSpirit". :D

Looks interesting, in any case. I'm looking forward to the full translation.

Helmut Moute
Novice

#6 Postby Helmut Moute » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:57 am

Hello,

Sorry, I forgot to update the link to the new file... I've fixed it now.
Everything is translated up to the enemies list, "sSpirit" problems should be fixed and some typos too.

I hope to be able to translate the bestiary in the next few weeks (it takes quite a long time as the layout needs to be adapted too).

Gut0nez
Novice

#7 Postby Gut0nez » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:17 pm

Also, I'm assuming you're translating from the french language version of the Borderlands games. You should take a look at the english version for certain terms. For instance: In the shield section, you have "reactivity" where it should be "recharge delay". Or was that intentional?
"Did I fire six shots, or only five? Three? Seven. Whatever." - Unkempt Harold

Deskepticon
Veteran

#8 Postby Deskepticon » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:15 pm

Helmut Moute wrote:Hello,

Sorry, I forgot to update the link to the new file... I've fixed it now.
Everything is translated up to the enemies list, "sSpirit" problems should be fixed and some typos too.

I hope to be able to translate the bestiary in the next few weeks (it takes quite a long time as the layout needs to be adapted too).

Thank you. It works now.

The pdf looks great! I'll give a read when I have a chance and post any suggestions.

Helmut Moute
Novice

#9 Postby Helmut Moute » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:06 pm

Gut0nez wrote:Also, I'm assuming you're translating from the french language version of the Borderlands games. You should take a look at the english version for certain terms. For instance: In the shield section, you have "reactivity" where it should be "recharge delay". Or was that intentional?

I'm switching from one to the other actually... so there might be improperly translated terms.
As for "recharge delay", I changed it intentionally, because of the way it works with these rules. It's not really a delay anymore, it's more a probability of starting to recharge, and the higher it is the better (unlike a "delay"). That's why I called it reactivity.

Lord Lance
Heroic

#10 Postby Lord Lance » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:49 pm

Nice work! The idea is cool, and the PDF is well built.
Here some problem I found starting the skim:

Page 6, CL4P-TP: well, I feel you did the whole thing pretty complicated. I suggest you to use the standard "Race Creation" rules, turning the whole thing in standard Racial Abilities.
Page 9, under Fast Healer: playe
Page 12, top right: The third time, it has the followinf effects
Page 13: about Cybernetics Legs: I suggest to not charge the player again for the 2nd leg, if they want it later on. Maybe you could apply a $ cost for the 2nd operation. I think a 2nd edge requirement is pretty harsh (doubly, 'cause you still get the negative Charisma point).
Page 14: Shoulder Cannon. I don't like the mechanic. Free action, additional Shooting die, choose which weapon hits... mmm... Also, you can have "problems" if you are shooting with weapons that have different ranges, for example.
Pag 16: Digistructed weapons vary, but the two most proeminent examples from the Borderlands video games are (also, they are not "two" examples, I count 4).
Pag 17: detriyed clones... (also, all the phrase is in bold). PS: I can't fully understand this one: "Incompressible expenses". I'm not english native too, so probably I can't get it, or maybe it's an error (or an in-game joke?).
Also, for Attack Drone: Parade should be Parry.
Also, sometime you put Flight 12, sometime Pace 6" (ie. you seldom use the symbol). Sometime you put the armor behind the Toughness, sometime you don't (ie. Toughness: 10 (4) // Toughness: 10).
Pag 28 (Table) Effet
Pag 40: he instatly heals one wound
Pag 64: Aiming: Lunette de visée
Pag 90 is only partially translated.

Also, I don't think you need to specify the various accents in MÊLÉE. Simply write Melee.

Ok... Sadly, I have no more time to help you, here, with my proofreading skills 8) .
I hope I'll have time in the future to continue, if I please you.
"Balance is the key, Trapping is the word." - - Lord Lance

Proud creator of the SAVAGE FREE BESTIARY

Helmut Moute
Novice

#11 Postby Helmut Moute » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:47 pm

Thanks for the feedback Lord Lance. I've fixed the typos (but I have not updated the PDF yet).

Lord Lance wrote:Page 6, CL4P-TP: well, I feel you did the whole thing pretty complicated. I suggest you to use the standard "Race Creation" rules, turning the whole thing in standard Racial Abilities.

I thought I did start from these rules to make the claptrap's racial abilities, but looking at it now I see it's not good... and it's not even the same rules I used when testing the game. I'll rework it.

Lord Lance wrote:Page 13: about Cybernetics Legs: I suggest to not charge the player again for the 2nd leg, if they want it later on. Maybe you could apply a $ cost for the 2nd operation. I think a 2nd edge requirement is pretty harsh (doubly, 'cause you still get the negative Charisma point).

The way I see it is the normal way of getting cybernetic legs is to buy both at the same time and enjoy all the bonuses they provide. But sometimes a character may only want one leg, for example to remove a permanent injury without losing Charisma. The risk is having to spend an additional Edge later if the other leg is injured.
I think just removing a permanent injury is worth an Edge. It's in line with other Edges that have this effect (Cybernetics: Prosthesis Repairs, Standard Exchange).

Lord Lance wrote:Page 14: Shoulder Cannon. I don't like the mechanic. Free action, additional Shooting die, choose which weapon hits... mmm... Also, you can have "problems" if you are shooting with weapons that have different ranges, for example.

I see what you mean, I guess I wanted to stay too close to the videogame effect. I agree it could be done better, I'll think about it.

Lord Lance wrote:Pag 17: detriyed clones... (also, all the phrase is in bold). PS: I can't fully understand this one: "Incompressible expenses". I'm not english native too, so probably I can't get it, or maybe it's an error (or an in-game joke?).

In the videogame, the clones are used by a big corporate executive, and a lot of the character's skills have "corporate" names such as "Taxation of trade routes" or "High frequency trading". So in this spirit I used "Incompressible expenses" (base costs you can't reduce) to name this Edge. If it's really not clear, I'll change it.

Anyway, thanks a lot, this is exactly the kind of feedback I need. The game was tested, but on a small scale and not all Edges and combinations were used. And the typos hunting is also very useful for me.

Jounichi
Legendary

#12 Postby Jounichi » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:42 pm

I applaud the desire and work put towards it so far, but I think you're trying too hard to reinvent the wheel. Elemental weapons can just use the trappings from SWD. Gear like 87 bajillion guns and who knows how many shields might be too much for players to have to worry about. What works in a video game does not necessarily translate well to a pen and paper RPG. Different rarity items, if you ask me, is asking for too much. I think Fight For Your Life is a good mechanic to introduce, but it could use some tweaking. It definitely needs a wrinkle for teammates to revive fallen/falling allies.

I'd consider pulling from Broken Earth and/or Hell on Earth Reloaded for some more of that post-apocalyptic "Road Warrior" inspiration, and from the SFC for some of the more advanced tech. And definitely rebuild claptraps from the ground up. They're not even Constructs, and they definitely should be. They're also exceptionally rare post-BL2 since they were virtually wiped out between the events of BL2 and BLPS, so whether or not they should even be playable is another matter altogether. Still, it's your game and your lore. If Hyperion decided to relaunch the line and build a whole new batch of them then cool.

In my opinion, the atmosphere is more important than the straight video game mechanics. Players want to inhabit the world, but not necessarily do everything the video games do. This should offer a different experience.
"Rush not in to fights. Long is the war. Only by surviving it, will you prevail." -Yoda
"Wise man once say, 'forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.'" -Michelangelo

Helmut Moute
Novice

#13 Postby Helmut Moute » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:41 pm

Hello Jounichi, thank you for your feedback.

There is a chapter about "Playing Modes", explaining how to use or not use elements of the PDF to play the way you want. The original idea when I started working on this was to do a skirmish game that would use the main characteristics of the Borderlands videogames, such as randomly generated guns, the elemental damage mechanism, and of course the game world. Then I added other mechanisms, the ability to play almost every character in the games, and so on, but all of this is meant as options you may want to use... or not. I give examples of Playing Modes, and one of them is "realistic" :
Remove the Loot Points, abstract ammo management and healing rules, bring back Savage Worlds Deluxe’s old-fashioned dollars, create your own guns with love instead of randomly generating them, and you’ll play Borderlands in some kind of « realistic » way. Or at least you’ll be free of all pure videogame gimmicks and artefacts.

But I didn't want to simplify shields or elemental damage because I felt they were important parts of the game. Rarity is just a way of creating increments of power for the loot. I could have made 8 or 10 levels, but it felt more thematic to talk about Ranks and Colors (for rarity). YMMV.

This is also why I made the claptrap race (even though I agree it can be done better) : if you want to play a claptrap before the opening of the first arch (or even after), you can, if you don't just ignore it. But if you can play a Siren (6 of them in the whole universe), I guess you should be able to play a claptrap. :)
And I thought about the Construct ability, but it just doesn't fit claptraps. No wound penalties, +2 to get out of shaken... I don't think claptraps should start with such combat-oriented bonuses.

As for adding some "help from teammates" touch to "fight for your life", I completely agree, I should have thought of that, I will add it to the game when I find a good way to do it.

Anyway, I don't agree with some of your points, but thank you again for the feedback, it gives me food for thought!

Psychonus
Novice

#14 Postby Psychonus » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:20 pm

I love how this was put together. The feel of a video game was kept very intact with made this a very interesting read.

I am wondering if you will be translating the foes? I would love to see this completely in English.

Also, Thank you so much for making this!

Helmut Moute
Novice

#15 Postby Helmut Moute » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:52 pm

Psychonus wrote:I love how this was put together. The feel of a video game was kept very intact with made this a very interesting read.

I am wondering if you will be translating the foes? I would love to see this completely in English.

Also, Thank you so much for making this!

Thanks Psychonus!
I'm in the process of translating the foes section. I've already done the Bandits and Hyperion, and I will upload an updated version of the PDF once all the foes are translated.

Helmut Moute
Novice

#16 Postby Helmut Moute » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:26 pm

Hello all!

Version 0.5en is up! The PDF is now fully in English.
I'll have to fix typos and probably some layout issues, and then I'll do some kind of "final" heavier version with a cover and better looking images.

To download: http://arfe.net/savage-borderlands/

Phasma Felis
Seasoned

#17 Postby Phasma Felis » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:51 pm

Cool!

Now that I can read the Antagonists section, there seems to be a lot of wasted space and repeated information there, which makes it hard to read. Almost everything is a "standard" enemy type and then a bunch of variations; you should treat them as such instead of copying out the full statblock and all the ability text each time. For example, you take six pages to describe Psychos and nine different variant Psychos. You could probably get it down to two if you just described Psychos, then added

Midget Psycho: d4 Strength, Size -1
Burning Psycho: d8 Fighting, Fire Resistance (3)
Slagged Psycho: d8 Fighting, Slag Projection (describe ability)

...and so forth. If they're really different, like the Badass Psycho, that might still warrant a full statblock, depending.

Also, at a glance, there's still skills like "lancer" and "sarcasme" listed in places. :)

Jounichi
Legendary

#18 Postby Jounichi » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:02 am

Badasses could just be wild cards. It might be easier to create a bunch of templates you can tack on to base creatures. That way the GM can make whatever they need.
"Rush not in to fights. Long is the war. Only by surviving it, will you prevail." -Yoda

"Wise man once say, 'forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.'" -Michelangelo

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”