[SPC2] The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

SavageGamerGirl
Legendary

[SPC2] The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

#1 Postby SavageGamerGirl » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:03 am

I'm cooking up a one-shot, perhaps for an upcoming convention, based on the Adventures of Baron Munchhausen. Now, I'm taking direct inspiration form the Terry Gilliam movie for character interpretations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Advent ... Munchausen

Awesome movie, one of my favorites... it's on Netflix. If you haven't seen it, do so. :mrgreen:

As per forum guidelines, I won't be posting actual stats here, but I would like to do a little brainstorming about what powers and/or edges the characters might have. Once I make the characters, I'll post them to my website and link back here like I did with my Guardians of the Galaxy stats.

My idea is as GM, me describing what the characters see is actually the Baron telling a story to the Sultan. The players will be running the Baron's allies, attempting to rescue him from the Sultan's palace. Basically, I'm running the Baron telling the Sultan the story of his own rescue as it's happening. :lol:

Berthold = Speed obviously; supersonic so as to outrun musket balls. Would he have Extra Actions as well?

Albrecht = Super Strength and Vigor to be sure. Perhaps a rank or two in Growth with the Monster modifier. If I'm sticking with the movie for inspiration, perhaps the Pacifist edge.

Gustavus = The Small hindrance, as well as Heightened Senses for his super-hearing. What power might best duplicate his powerful breath?

Adolphus = Heightened Senses for his vision, and his musket is obviously a ranged attack device. What else? Marksman, certainly.

Any other ideas? Should I invent two other characters to bring the total to 6 characters, the usual for a con game?
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here.'
The Order of the Dice... OF DOOM!

VonDan
Legendary

#2 Postby VonDan » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:34 am

Baron Munchausen's Dream"-1911-Les aventures de baron de Munchhausen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N62OmiZC8XA

UFA Münchhausen 1943 Full Version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ximQyzWH_H8

Gustavus
If there is some sort of wind or tornado spell but give it the cone template

Adolphus
Trade Mark weapon
Last edited by VonDan on Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SavageGamerGirl
Legendary

#3 Postby SavageGamerGirl » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:52 am

Yeah, there's also an absolutely bizarre French animated film translated to English as Moon Madness. It has the same basic characters as Gilliam's movie, but they have different names and the powers are jumbled a bit. For example, the strong-man character also has the super-breath, and the guy with excellent hearing just has excellent hearing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret ... _Selenites

Snate56
Legendary

#4 Postby Snate56 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:48 pm

Yes, do make other characters, perhaps even more than two as that would give people more choices. He doesn't always have to have the same allies!

SteveN
"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reasons."
>Mark Twain<

SavageGamerGirl
Legendary

#5 Postby SavageGamerGirl » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:54 pm

Now that I've got my book... :mrgreen:

Yes there is a Whirlwind power that does what I like, sort of. The base power is a Medium or Large Burst Template that the character can generate within 24". I'll have to invent limitation modifiers for it to make it a Cone template.

Maybe it would be easier to make it a Ranged Attack with a cone template. The damage it does comes from being blown so forcefully to the ground, or from debris, etc. If I make it a damaging attack he can also blow down walls and so forth.

Definitely Trademark Weapon for Adolphus!

Dayleph
Novice

#6 Postby Dayleph » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:58 pm

You could have the Whirlwind Power be the Stun Power, but in a Cone; just switch the +2 Modifier from MBT and you're good.

Shaken, and they're forced to hunker down a bit against the strong winds, while being Stunned is literally knocking them flat on their backs.

Just a thought, anyway...
"General, we have a plan."
"We should point out, at this moment, it is a fairly terrible plan."
"And it almost certainly won't work."
"I was happy with "fairly terrible"."
"Sorry, just thinking out loud."

VonDan
Legendary

#7 Postby VonDan » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:50 pm

SavageGamerGirl wrote:Yeah, there's also an absolutely bizarre French animated film translated to English as Moon Madness. It has the same basic characters as Gilliam's movie, but they have different names and the powers are jumbled a bit. For example, the strong-man character also has the super-breath, and the guy with excellent hearing just has excellent hearing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret ... _Selenites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehLOq4a8Ung

and that has a prequel

The Fabulous Adventures of the Legendary Baron Munchausen 1979

Make a list of the names and powers of Mucnh's companions from all four movies and Law and Order and see if any stand out from the 5 in the most known American version

warrenss2
Heroic

#8 Postby warrenss2 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:33 pm

I LOVE that movie.
:blam:

SavageGamerGirl
Legendary

#9 Postby SavageGamerGirl » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:13 pm

[Removed stats to comply with board rules.]

One character I might add is Bucephalus, the Baron's most remarkable and intelligent steed. He could be fun as a character.

I might also add a female character because, women gamers exist. lol

I'd like to stay in keeping with the powers of the others, which are fantastically enhanced versions of otherwise natural abilities. No flying, energy beams, or other typical superhero trope powers. I might go with something from Greco-Roman mythology, like a siren or nymph or muse. Maybe she'll be a subject of the King of the Moon (we mis you, Robin! :cry:)... human-sized of course because of an accident of birth which stunted her growth. But how to do the separable head? Hmm...

Snate56
Legendary

#10 Postby Snate56 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:13 am

Perhaps the separable head isn't something you're born with. After going through the time consuming preparations, the subject is then decapitated, then "reassembled".

For Adolphus; maybe a Blast effect? Having to do with bouncing the bullet off of appropriate surfaces in a LBT area?

SteveN
>Mark Twain<

Zero Mostel
Seasoned

#11 Postby Zero Mostel » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:43 am

Hmmm

Could you do an Age of Reason Supers campaign?
As the chicken said to the lion, "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it."

:blam:

SavageGamerGirl
Legendary

#12 Postby SavageGamerGirl » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:16 am

Snate56 wrote:For Adolphus; maybe a Blast effect? Having to do with bouncing the bullet off of appropriate surfaces in a LBT area?

Not a bad idea! Multiple ricochets, etc. Great!

SavageGamerGirl
Legendary

#13 Postby SavageGamerGirl » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:21 am

Zero Mostel wrote:Hmmm

Could you do an Age of Reason Supers campaign?

Sure, why not? The Kerberos Club gives us Victorian superheroes. All you'd have to do is flesh out the whys and wherefores of superhuman abilities, and how the world at large views them.

Here's an example: Marvel 1602.

And another: Leatherwing. Pirate Batman! How cool is that? :mrgreen:

SavageGamerGirl
Legendary

#14 Postby SavageGamerGirl » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:17 am

Looking at my powers brainstorm, I'll most likely have to go with Four-Color and give Albrecht and Berthold The Best There Is to make them strong enough and fast enough, respectively.

For Bucephalus:
Attack, Melee (2 pts): Level 1 (+1d6). Hoof.
Danger Sense (2 pts)
Growth (2 pts): Level 2, Monster.
Leaping (3 pts): Level 2, Death From Above.
Speed (5 pts): 4x Pace.
Super Attribute: Horsey stuff... Strength, Vigor, etc.

I'll invent hindrances for not having hands or being able to speak.

SavageGamerGirl
Legendary

#15 Postby SavageGamerGirl » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:23 am

This is coming along nicely. I only have Gustavus left to build. I'll post them to my website when I'm done. :)

I decided to go with Street Fighter level (30 pp, 10 max for any given power, 15 pp with The Best There Is).

Even at this level, Adolphus and Albrecht are SCARY! :eek:

SavageGamerGirl
Legendary

#16 Postby SavageGamerGirl » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:22 pm

The four main servants of the Baron are up and ready for nitpicking. :mrgreen:

https://sites.google.com/site/orderofth ... munchausen

I still plan to add another character or two, including a female character, just for the sake of them being for a con game.

I'm still considering making the female character a native of the Moon who, by an accident of birth, is human-sized and not gigantic. I plan to do the separable head by giving her the Shrink power, with Flight and Sidekick contingent on Shrink. Instead of actually shrinking, she removes her head (which is smaller and thus harder to hit). The Flight is the head's ability to hover, and the Sidekick is her now headless body. It's a bit convoluted, but it's the only way I can think to do it with the available powers. Anyone else have an idea for it?

Snate56
Legendary

#17 Postby Snate56 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:08 pm

Thinking of small size, and for a unique character, how about a talking animal, say, a large rat. She would be exceptional at stealth and getting into places no one else can get into.

SteveN
>Mark Twain<

SavageGamerGirl
Legendary

Re: [SPC2] The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

#18 Postby SavageGamerGirl » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:31 am

Finally started cooking up an adventure for this.

Instead of doing your typical GM's narration, I plan to frame what I say as the GM as the Baron himself telling a story to the Sultan. It will begin in a forest in the north of Greece, with the servants awakening to find that the Baron has gone missing (of course!). They search for him, being the dutiful servants they are (naturally!), and find that he has been taken by Arachne, the girl cursed by Athena to become the first spider. She is now immortal and immense. Their first clue will be found in a tavern where the men are now her adoring slaves. On to a village overrun by giant spiders, and then into a cave where they find Arachne herself. To their dismay (and what servant wouldn't be dismayed?) they cannot find the Baron, but do find his rapier. They follow the cave, and come out, of all places, into the tea tent where the Baron is telling the Sultan this very tale, and have to fight the Sultan's army to free their master.

Needs fleshing out, but what do you all think of the basic outline?

Their stats, for ease of reference:

https://sites.google.com/site/orderofth ... munchausen

Myrmicus
Novice

#19 Postby Myrmicus » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:44 am

Characters are good, except for Berthold.
Since malus to attacks from speed and deflection doesn't stack, I feel it is a loss of power points. The only difference is that deflection grants protection from ranged even if caught anaware, but that's still a huge cost in PP, IMHO.

I'd change it for some extra action (speed of execution) and/or some attack melee (lightning fast strikes, goes well with extra action and pummel)

Albrecht is good, but from what I experienced, super strong characters are the hardest to deal with... they simply tear through everything and no place is safe from them (I had one make an entire building fall on the head of an opponent he couldn't hit with his fists).

Other than that, maybe replace Gustavus Telekinesis with Force Control...
It's quite minor, but I feel Force Control is better suited to the trapping than telekinesis : telekinesis allow for more meticulous manipulations than force control. His switchable powers can have some more points too... maybe add a cone template (1pt version) to the Attack ranged could be good, since it's a breath attack ?
Another thing, but that's a matter of personnal taste : I'd drop 4pts of Uncanny reflexes to add it in other powers, maybe a force field to the force control (if taken) or more levels in force control/telekinesis ?

SavageGamerGirl
Legendary

#20 Postby SavageGamerGirl » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:13 am

I'll review Berthold a bit. Maybe give him more to attack with.

Gustavus' switchable powers are only 6 points. The main power costs 10, but since he has two Switchable lowers, each alternate power can only cost 6 points. (10 pts. - 4 for two instances of the Switchable modifier).

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”