Aliens: Colonial Marines

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Nate
Novice

Aliens: Colonial Marines

#1 Postby Nate » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:04 am

Fellow Savage Enthusiasts,

I know that there's already a conversion of Alien vs. Predator for Savage Worlds by James Houlahan, but I've been kicking around some ideas for a game that focuses on the Colonial Marines, with much less emphasis on xenomorphs. To that end, I've put together a little PDF as a supplement to the SW Explorer's Edition.

My question is, what more information would you want if you were a player or GM prepping for scenarios in this setting? Please keep in mind that I'm planning to stat up a bunch of different characters as archetypes.

Check it out, and please let me know what you think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cpinp7gy75bso ... s.pdf?dl=0

Thanks!

-Nate

Legate71
Veteran

#2 Postby Legate71 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:49 pm

Looks good, so far.

Arannis
Novice

#3 Postby Arannis » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:46 pm

Looks good, my concern is the armor. Does it negate AP like Kevlar? +3 armor is not much when your guns have AP.

kronovan
Heroic

#4 Postby kronovan » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:07 pm

Some nice ideas, I particularly like the Pessimist hindrance. ;)
If the Synthetic stats you list are actual baseline racial stats as opposed to a fully stat'd out Synthetic NPC/adversary, then they'd be off the chart. I don't have my SW Deluxe book in front of me so I can't tell you how much off the chart, but every ability at d8 would require spending a lot of race building points. You'd need to tone that back if you goal is to have them as a balanced, playable race.

You mention SW Explorers Edition, so I'm wondering if you creating you adaptation without the streamlined race building rules in SW Deluxe? There's also additional race creation rules in the Science Fiction Companion, that add elements more pertinent to SciFi genres/settings.

Nate
Novice

#5 Postby Nate » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:23 am

Arannis wrote:Looks good, my concern is the armor. Does it negate AP like Kevlar? +3 armor is not much when your guns have AP.

Arannis,

Thanks for catching that. Given the description of the armor from the Aliens: Colonial Marines Technical Manual--in which part of the armor is "venlar" fibers--I think that makes sense.

-Nate

Nate
Novice

#6 Postby Nate » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:26 am

kronovan wrote:Some nice ideas, I particularly like the Pessimist hindrance. ;)
If the Synthetic stats you list are actual baseline racial stats as opposed to a fully stat'd out Synthetic NPC/adversary, then they'd be off the chart...

Kronovan,

Good call. I've updated it to clarify that those stats are for an experience android like Bishop; hero synthetics receive the Construct and Electronic qualities, along with the Behavioral Inhibition hindrance, but otherwise are created normally.

-Nate

Nate
Novice

#7 Postby Nate » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:25 pm

Here's another question. Do you think it would be fair to require an Edge in order to use a smartgun properly? Is there a precedent for that kind of thing in other Savage Worlds supplements?

-Nate

SeeleyOne
Veteran

#8 Postby SeeleyOne » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:27 pm

I do, as it is a fairly rare skill. You get specialized training. IF you do not have it, you should have a penalty to use a smart gun.
Just about every kid today wants to be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman. Maybe if we were better parents they would not want to become orphans.

To be evil is to live backwards

Nate
Novice

#9 Postby Nate » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:19 pm

SeeleyOne wrote:I do, as it is a fairly rare skill. You get specialized training. IF you do not have it, you should have a penalty to use a smart gun.

Okay. Based on that, I've revised the Edge to include all manner of equipment that requires special training.

Qualified Operator
Requirements: Driving d6+, Piloting d6+, Shooting d6+ (varies by qualification)
This character has been trained to operate a difficult piece of equipment, such as a powerloader, a smartgun, or even a dropship by remote. The penalty for doing so without this edge is reduced from -4 to none.

-Nate

Nate
Novice

#10 Postby Nate » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:25 am

Okay. I've updated the document, including stat blocks for archetypal characters. Please have a look and let me know what you think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cpinp7gy75bso ... s.pdf?dl=0

Thanks!

-Nate

Renny
Seasoned

#11 Postby Renny » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:23 pm

Great work on this, thanks,
"Believe it or not," Doc advised her, "we get some fun out of this sort of thing."

Currently 99% Savage and proud !

jebbou
Novice

#12 Postby jebbou » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:26 pm

Good work on this one, very well done! You should advertise on the google community too, it deserves some visibility :)

Nate
Novice

#13 Postby Nate » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:17 am

Thanks!

Jebbou, I've taken your advice.

-Nate

Nate
Novice

#14 Postby Nate » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:36 pm

Okay. I've been working on writing stats for the aliens, and I'm curious to hear watch y'all think.

-Nate

Facehugger
This small parasite has a saclike body, eight spindly legs and a long, powerful tail. It can live for long periods inside a fleshy egg, until it becomes active in the presence of other living creatures. At that point it tries to latch onto a victim's face and insert a small proboscis into the subject's throat, by which the facehugger can implant an alien embryo.
In game terms, the facehugger must succeed in a grappling attack to attach on a victim, then a second check to insert the proboscis and a third to implant the embryo. The process is disrupted if the facehugger is separated from its victim at any point during those three rounds of activity. Once it is finished, the facehugger crawls away and dies, while the victim is left in a catatonic state.
Attributes: Agility d10, Smarts d4 (A), Spirit d6, Strength d4*, Vigor d6
Skills: Climbing d8, Fighting d10, Notice d8, Stealth d8, Survival d8
Pace: 6”, Parry: 7, Toughness: 5
Special Abilities
Acid for Blood: Whenever the facehugger suffers a wound, a spray of its blood causes 2d6 damage to anyone in contact with it.
Space Creature: The facehugger's unusual biochemistry means that it does not need a specific food source or oxygen to survive, and makes it immune to the effects of vacuum and cold.
*Note: While the facehugger is small and thus not physically powerful, its legs and tale make it a powerful grappler; this is reflected in its high Fighting score.

Chestburster
After incubating in the body of a host, the embryo develops into a small, bipedal creature with a pinkish, rather serpentine body, a moutful of wickedly sharp teeth, limbs and a tail. It erupts from the victim's chest cavity through the sternum, a process that kills the host. (Note that the host can act normally for a few minutes before the eruption occurs, however.) After it has emerged, the chestburster seeks out any available food source, devouring tremendous amounts in order to fuel its rapid growth.
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d4 (A), Spirit d4, Strength d4, Vigor d8
Skills: Climbing d8, Fighting d8, Notice d8, Stealth d8, Survival d10
Pace: 6”, Parry: 6, Toughness: 4
Special Abilities
Acid for Blood: Whenever the chestburster suffers a wound, a spray of its blood causes 2d6 damage to anyone in contact with it.
Space Creature: The chestburster's unusual biochemistry means that it does not need a specific food source or oxygen to survive, and makes it immune to the effects of vacuum and cold.
Rapid Growth: Although it starts off as a small creature, the chestburster grows rapidly (and sheds its skin as it does so). To reflect this, the chestburster gains one point of toughness, and its Strength increases by 1d2, until it is full grown.
Teeth: A chestburster's bite causes Strength + 1d4 damage; this increases with its stages of growth in the same manner as its Strength score.

Warrior
The alien's skin color darkens as it grows through several moltings, until it is a sleek black in color. A fully grown alien warrior is taller than an average human. It has an elongated head with a second, smaller set of teeth that can lash out from its mouth. Tubular structures protrude from its back, and it has a whiplike tail with a powerful stinger at the end.
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d4 (A), Spirit d6, Strength d10, Vigor d8
Skills: Climbing d8, Fighting d8, Notice d8, Stealth d8, Survival d10
Pace: 8”, Parry: 6, Toughness: 7
Special Abilities
Acid for Blood: Whenever the alien warrior suffers a wound, a spray of its blood causes 2d8 damage to anyone adjacent to it.
Space Creature: The warrior's unusual biochemistry means that it does not need a specific food source or oxygen to survive, and makes it immune to the effects of vacuum and cold.
Teeth: A warrior's bite causes Strength + 1d10 damage.
Claws: A warrior's claws causes Strength + 1d8 damage.
Sting: The tip of a warrior's tail causes Strength + 1d6 damage.

Queen
The largest, strongest and thus most fearsome of all xenomorphs is the queen. It stands twice the height of a human, with all of the features of the alien warrior, but more pronounced.
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d6 (A), Spirit d8, Strength d12+6, Vigor d10
Skills: Climbing d10, Fighting d10, Notice d10, Stealth d6, Survival d12
Pace: 10”, Parry: 7, Toughness: 11
Special Abilities
Acid for Blood: Whenever the alien queen suffers a wound, a spray of its blood causes 2d12 damage to anyone with 2” of it.
Space Creature: The queen's unusual biochemistry means that she does not need a specific food source or oxygen to survive, and makes her immune to the effects of vacuum and cold.
Teeth: A queen's bite causes Strength + 1d10 damage.
Claws: A queen's claws causes Strength + 1d8 damage.
Sting: The tip of a queen's tail causes Strength + 1d6 damage.
Last edited by Nate on Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Okreya
Novice

#15 Postby Okreya » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:43 am

Does the paralyzing sting actually cause a paralysis effect?

Nate
Novice

#16 Postby Nate » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:02 pm

Ah. Good question, Okreya. I had it in my head that aliens could paralyze victims with their stings, but in reading online I couldn't find any information to corroborate that notion. I'll make the change above.

Thanks!

-Nate

SeeleyOne
Veteran

#17 Postby SeeleyOne » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:50 pm

It did exist in Aliens. Gorman was paralyzed.
Just about every kid today wants to be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman. Maybe if we were better parents they would not want to become orphans.

SeeleyOne
Veteran

#18 Postby SeeleyOne » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:55 pm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090605/trivia

During the escape, Gorman is stung unconscious by an Alien and almost pulled out of the APC; Hicks uses a gun turret to blast the Alien off the roof.

Also, look at http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Aliens.html

And http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Aliens_%28novel%29

I read the novel sometime during the last decade or so.[/quote]

Nate
Novice

#19 Postby Nate » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:20 pm

Thank you for that input, SeeleyOne.

Here's a link to some more Aliens material, including revised stats for aliens.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/okfyny2wph2g7 ... 2.pdf?dl=0

-Nate

Loveless2013
Novice

#20 Postby Loveless2013 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:00 am

What about wall walking (for Xynos) as seen in Horror Companion? I'm a real fan of that one for things that scamper on walls and ceilings.

Edit: Wow. Necro... Sorry everybody. This is what happens when you don't log onto a site for years.

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”