Savaging D20 weapons

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

shadowbeast
Novice

Savaging D20 weapons

#1 Postby shadowbeast » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:58 am

I am looking for a reliable way to convert D20 weapons to Savage Worlds, as I have a lot of speculative fiction weapons for D2o (including 1001 Science Fiction Weapons by Plain Brown Wrapper Games), and need to convert them as I would much rather play them in SW.
Have there been any such direct conversion rules?

DHub
Novice

#2 Postby DHub » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:14 pm

Have you seen this?

https://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35898

It's the Savage Armoury.

Kristian Serrano
Heroic

#3 Postby Kristian Serrano » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:46 pm

For the most part, you can pretty much use the same exact die size for damage or look to comparable weapons in the core book. I did this with my adaptation of v3.5 Eberron weapons, and it worked pretty well.

shadowbeast
Novice

#4 Postby shadowbeast » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:56 pm

I'll try some simpler ones, but there are many extra qualities given to the weapons that may not work in SW the same way.
Curiously, the Science Fiction Companion doesn't have comparable weapons for infectious bio-swords, flesh-warping rays, cannon that fire circular saw blades and combat yo-yos.

Jounichi
Legendary

#5 Postby Jounichi » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:14 pm

shadowbeast wrote:I'll try some simpler ones, but there are many extra qualities given to the weapons that may not work in SW the same way.
Curiously, the Science Fiction Companion doesn't have comparable weapons for infectious bio-swords, flesh-warping rays, cannon that fire circular saw blades and combat yo-yos.

No, but you can always build one. A sword with a poison applicator would work, and a combat yo-yo might just be a stronger whip.
"Rush not in to fights. Long is the war. Only by surviving it, will you prevail." -Yoda
"Wise man once say, 'forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.'" -Michelangelo

Kristian Serrano
Heroic

#6 Postby Kristian Serrano » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:55 am

shadowbeast wrote:I'll try some simpler ones, but there are many extra qualities given to the weapons that may not work in SW the same way.
I had similar "strange" weapons in Eberron. Focus on the effect and not the mechanics, then adapt (not convert) to SW.

shadowbeast
Novice

Re: Savaging D20 weapons

#7 Postby shadowbeast » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:44 am

Here's what I've come up with so far:
Disposable autoshotgun
Range: 5/10/20
cost: $500
Damage: 3d6
Weight: 7
ROF: 1
Payload: 3
Notes: 2-handed, AP 1, auto.
Uses a cone template (extend the sides to show the area covered where neccessary), firing a ten-charge burst (not selectable). Do this 3 times, and then it will disintegrate into a biodegradable mess.

Far more convenient than:
Disposable Automatic Shotgun
Size: Medium (-4 penalty to conceal with a “sleight of
hand” roll)
Cost: 500 Units (but is often produced by cultures that
don't use money)
Tentative Purchase DC: 15 (Often Unavailable)
Required Proficiency: Slugthrower Weapons
Handed: Requires 2 hands to use
Range Increment: 30 feet
“To Hit” Bonus: --
Magazine: 30
Rate of Fire: As many times as the wielder has
attacks
Damage: 3d6 Piercing [“Ballistic” under the Modern
rules] (20 x3)
Weight: 7 pounds
Armor Class: 7
Hardness: 4
Hit Points: 3
DC required to break this item with a Strength
Roll: 16
Special: Attacks everything in one ten by ten foot
square. Not capable of attacking a single target, it
always targets the entire square. The target square has
an effective defense of 10. Anyone in that square can
make a Reflexes Saving Throw vs. DC 20 to take half
damage.
Description: A long, vaguely triangular piece of what
appears to be resilient flexible plastic with a pistolgrip
molded into the bottom and a trigger guard just behind
it. Every part of this disposable shotgun is curved so
as to fit the user's body as snugly and smoothly as
possible. It doesn't have shells or even a firing
chamber as such--the shot is embedded in a line of ten
shaped explosive charges, buried behind the barrel.
When you pull the trigger, all ten detonate like a string
of firecrackers, throwing a continuous stream of shot
out of the barrel for a few seconds. The gun then
dissolves into a pile of biodegradable waste-products,
which look like liquid styrofoam and feel like lumpy
instant oatmeal. Despite the flexible, shock-absorbant
material the gun is made from, it produces a
staggering amount of recoil and is really best fired
from the shoulder.
Source: 101 Science Fiction Weapons by Plain Brown Wrapper Games.

Disposable grenade pistol
Range:12/24/48
Cost: $600
damage dependent on the type of grenade (no, you can't remove them and throw, or fit into another kind of launcher, or replace with a different one)
weight: 1.5
ROF: 1
Payload: 1
Notes:
Single shot, 2-handed, non-reusable, ends up as a lump of molten plastic in your hand after firing.

SeeleyOne
Veteran

#8 Postby SeeleyOne » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:10 pm

Good to see that being used. I had thought about dusting off that old pdf and using it myself. There are many good ideas in that book.
Just about every kid today wants to be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman. Maybe if we were better parents they would not want to become orphans.

To be evil is to live backwards

Ilina_Young
Veteran

#9 Postby Ilina_Young » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:42 am

the best way is to search the book for comparable weapons and make minor adjustments. for Example, a Pike is just a spear with twice the reach that deals a d8 instead of a d6. but it weighs a lot more and can't be thrown or combined with a shield. sure, you can go out to 2 pace in front of you with a Pike, Gain +1 parry for using it and deal a d8 instead of a d6. but you need a d8 strength to use it, you can't throw it, you can't combine it with a shield and it weighs a lot more. if you wanted, you could give it an AP of 2 to represent the kinetic force that would come with the added weight, but i would probably add the restriction that this weapon requires you to have military clearance of some kind and probably spend an edge to use effectively.

But.. But.... its a Pike? Pikes were heavy, difficult to wield, and required special training normally given to Phalanx units. but, Phalanx was an Abandoned concept when Gunpowder, Crossbows, and Firearms gave more power to the Conscript with less required training. which happened long before the Renaissance. even plate armor couldn't last long against the firearms it was built as a response to. thicker breastplates got heavier, soldiers got tired faster, movement got slowed, and well, the real armor of choice for countering both Arrows and Even Bullets. was some kind of Cloth Armor, like Mesh or a Gambeson. in fact, i would probably put Mesh or Gambeson at the +2 Armor Category with the ability to ignore 4 points of Armor Penetration from Ranged Piercing Weapons such as Bullets, Knives or Arrows.

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”