1" = 2 Yards = 6 Feet

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Hub
Seasoned

1" = 2 Yards = 6 Feet

#1 Postby Hub » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:17 am

1" equals 2 yards (about 6')

Does anyone use 1" as 5'?

I'm considering it but I'm not sure if this will mess anything up somewhere down the line.

Snate56
Legendary

#2 Postby Snate56 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:10 am

It matters only with the size of the maps you make.

Since movement and weapon ranges are in inches, it doesn't matter whether your move of 6" is 36' or 30'.

I like bigger maps to move my figures around in but realistically, the bedroom I'm sitting in right now would be, at best, 2" x 3". My halls not even 1". Which means 6 "people" could have combat in my bedroom (if it were empty). That's swordplay, you could fit 3 people per inch if they were using guns...

Personally, I like the 1" = 6' because those across the pond use metres and 6' is roughly 2 metres.
EDIT: I know, it still sounds weird that I'm using inches... :lol:

SteveN
"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reasons."
>Mark Twain<

Hub
Seasoned

#3 Postby Hub » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:04 am

Thanks for the input!

I think I probably will go with 1 inch being 5 feet

Wibbs
Veteran

#4 Postby Wibbs » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:11 am

Won't it affect weapons ranges?

Darq666
Veteran

#5 Postby Darq666 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:17 am

Yep and any other measurements in adventures, etc. Of course the scale change would affect everyone (PC and NPC) a like, but a weapon with range 48 would go from 288 feet to 240 feet - a significant difference.

SteelDraco
Seasoned

#6 Postby SteelDraco » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:10 pm

Well, yes, weapon ranges will be slightly shorter, but as I recall the weapon ranges aren't all that realistic anyway. I use 1" = 5' and don't have any issues with it. Personally I just find it easier to do it that way since I typically express distances to my players in feet, and counting by 5' squares is easier than 6'.

galu
Seasoned

#7 Postby galu » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:47 pm

I usually don't use battlemats, therefore 1" is not useful. I usually exchange it to 2m, but sometimes we just handwave it and say it is close or medium range.

I think the best would be to have distances like: "across the room" "across the yard" "across a stadium", but I was too lazy to convert it.

Jounichi
Legendary

#8 Postby Jounichi » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:18 pm

So far I've only been using maps as reference material for large areas. For combat I've resorted to index cards with zones to abstract the environment and letting peoples' imaginations fill in the blanks. Specific ranges don't matter too much, though I could see an issue rear it's head with thrown weapons and very short ranges. It hasn't happened yet, though, as I still allow people to move up during combat and close the gap.

But I suppose all that is beside the point. The inches on a battle map are relative. They might be 6-feet by default, but they're also much larger when dealing with ships on the high seas. Just make them whatever you're comfortable with so the physics are consistent.
"Rush not in to fights. Long is the war. Only by surviving it, will you prevail." -Yoda
"Wise man once say, 'forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.'" -Michelangelo

SeeleyOne
Veteran

#9 Postby SeeleyOne » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:58 pm

I would use 5' squares if I am porting adventures that use it to SW. The only thing to consider is how it affects range for weapons and powers. If it does not matter that much, just use the listed values straight over. Sure, it nerfs the range but it is not like they are based on reality anyway.
Just about every kid today wants to be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman. Maybe if we were better parents they would not want to become orphans.

To be evil is to live backwards

moonowl67
Seasoned

#10 Postby moonowl67 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:05 pm

I use 1' = 5' for everything. My players came over from DnD, and are used to that scale. We don't worry about realistic ranges, or how the conversion affects the ranges because everybody and everything is impacted equally by the conversion. We use battlemats for many of the situations.

Also, it's easier to think in multiples of 5.

In a high-fantasy black powder campaign with flying ships and demon-powered trains, we aren't hooked on realism.

Hub
Seasoned

#11 Postby Hub » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:59 am

For me, a minor niggle is when you're running an adventure and I have to work out maps with the 2 yards (6') measurements.

"The room is 18' by 24' wide..." (for example) just to sync with the weapon ranges.

I guess you could keep all ranges at 1" = 6' but still have squares on a map being at 5' measurements. That would make weapons more efficient, but I'm fine with that.

Is the above correct or have I gotten something wrong?

dentris
Veteran

#12 Postby dentris » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:04 am

Snate56 wrote:Personally, I like the 1" = 6' because those across the pond use metres and 6' is roughly 2 metres.

Those just up north also use the metric system, just like pretty much the rest of the world except the USA.

It's much easier for me to think in terms of meters than feet because of that.

I really don't think there is a problem if you don't mind the fact everything moves a little bit more slower and shoots a little bit less far. If it's faster for you, then it's definitively FFF and that's the way the game should be played.
But the Voice consoles me and it says: "Keep your dreams;
Wise men do not have such beautiful ones as fools!"
--Baudelaire, Les Fleurs du Mal, 1857, Translated by William Aggeler, 1954

kronovan
Heroic

#13 Postby kronovan » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:58 pm

Changing the base distance increment to 1"=5' has far less impact if you're using miniatures and battle maps. The vast majority of miniature figurines and maps that people are using are the 28mm created for the 1:60 scale of D&D, Pathfinder and great many other RPG's, which is a scale of 1"=5'. With the border limitations of such maps, you're unlikely to have great enough distances for the reduced maximum ranges to factor in much.

Where the distance change gets much more obvious, is if you're running your campaign entirely Theater of the Mind or on a very large tabletops. With TotM you're more likely to have truly long ranges where the distance difference may become apparent. I've personally run Savage Showdown campaigns on 6'x10' tabletops (so 432'x720' for 1"=6') with lots of 1:72 scale figs and models and I'd be loathe to change the scale for those sessions as it would set some noticeable limitations. Actually my players would scream bloody hell if I did that. :-D

MicroKitty
Novice

#14 Postby MicroKitty » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:49 pm

galu wrote:I usually don't use battlemats, therefore 1" is not useful. I usually exchange it to 2m, but sometimes we just handwave it and say it is close or medium range.

I think the best would be to have distances like: "across the room" "across the yard" "across a stadium", but I was too lazy to convert it.

I'm very much in support of this because I also prefer to keep combat in a pretty abstract form with maybe a sketch on a whiteboard to convey what scenery is like. It means I end up keeping everything in meters and handwaving ranges as well.

moonowl67
Seasoned

Re: 1" = 2 Yards = 6 Feet

#15 Postby moonowl67 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:37 pm

I use 1" = 5'. We ran a DnD campaign for a long time and simply got used to that scale. Plus, we use a regular zoo (or large tent circus, if you will'). It's much quicker to think in multiples of 5 than in multiples of 6. Sure, this affects scale, but everybody is affected equally.

magall
Novice

Re:

#16 Postby magall » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:47 am

moonowl67 wrote:I use 1' = 5' for everything. My players came over from DnD, and are used to that scale. We don't worry about realistic ranges, or how the conversion affects the ranges because everybody and everything is impacted equally by the conversion. We use battlemats for many of the situations.

Also, it's easier to think in multiples of 5.

In a high-fantasy black powder campaign with flying ships and demon-powered trains, we aren't hooked on realism.

I run the same way...all my players are 3.5/Pathfinder based so 1" = 5' was the easiest.

i think the firearm ranges are too long anyway, so the extra foot is not a big deal to me, even at the longer ranges where the 1 foot adds (subtracts is this case) up (down) : )

we do use a battlemat and miniatures (bought a FFG Arkham Horror Figure for each player), but we do not use it for all battles. I try to throw in a 'narrative' battle in once in a while because i think it is important to get the players out of the miniatures game mindset...

So bottom line we just think in inches (5 foot per) or 'squares' and it works for everyone so far...
Mark G
Westmont, NJ

Enno
Veteran

#17 Postby Enno » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:52 pm

Does it really matter?

The "battlemap inch" is the standard unit for ranges and speed, and because usually none of the characters carries a high quality GPS or tapeline all given distances are guesses at best. Because of the real-world weapon ranges and vehicle speeds are divided by 2.5-3 anyway to fit on a typical battlemap on your gaming table - and not your whole appartement - this discussion is academic imo. 6 yards, 5 yards, 2 paces, 3 cubits or 2 meters per Inch... it doesn't really matter.
Just "think" in Inches not a conversion behind it. Makes your life much easier.
High Sage of Hoenir & Scribe of Qedeshet

Snate56
Legendary

#18 Postby Snate56 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:25 pm

The only thing it really affects is the scale of things on the map, like furniture, vehicles, and such, compared to the figures. If everyone's move is 6 inches, it doesn't matter whether that is 12 yards, 12 metres, 30 feet or 36 sofads...

SteveN
"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reasons."
>Mark Twain<

Enno
Veteran

#19 Postby Enno » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:33 am

... which is the province of the map maker and GM, not the players. Props are almost always oversized - like in a theatre - to fit on 1,2, or 4 "squares of 1 inch".
High Sage of Hoenir & Scribe of Qedeshet

kronovan
Heroic

#20 Postby kronovan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:04 am

Snate56 wrote:The only thing it really affects is the scale of things on the map, like furniture, vehicles, and such, compared to the figures.

I have to disagree. I create many maps for my campaigns with campaign cartographer and dundjini. For both of those I have extensive symbol and tile libraries containing things like furniture, vehicles, mundane objects, etc. Despite almost always running RPG's that use a1"=6' (1/72) scale, when I place such objects on my maps I always size them slightly larger to fit a 1"=5' (1/60) scale. I do that for the simple reason that they just don't look correct at1/72 scale when the 25-28mm figures that represent the vast majority of RPG miniatures available on the market, are placed adjacent to them. Sizing chairs and couches at 1/72 scale almost always garners a chuckle and a"wow you really need a tiny or skinny ass to sit on that" comment :P

If you want to be insistent about sticking to the correct scale for such objects, you really need to use the smaller 20mm figures that military model manufacturers liken Revell and Airfix manufacture. Just place one of those beside any of the multitude of 28 mm figures and you'll quickly see the difference - looks like an adult standing beside a midget or child. And good luck finding any that aren't only suitable for historical Fantasy or military themed campaigns - unless of course your idea of what a fantasy Orc looks like is a WW II NAZI trooper. :)

[Edit] Actually Snate, now that I've reread your post I might be agreeing with you. I guess the point I'm making is - run the rules at 1/72 scale, but map at 1/60. Otherwise all your PC's and mooks are going to look like they're giants.

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”