Marksman + New Edge too strong?

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Koshnek
Novice

Marksman + New Edge too strong?

#1 Postby Koshnek » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:23 am

So, I created this new edge:
Deadeye
Requirements: Veteran, d8 Agility, d10 Shooting or Throwing
This character has relentlessly practiced hitting an enemy's vitals and may now reduce any called shot penalties by 2.

If a character took Marskman and Deadeye, would that be too strong? (Basically a free +4 damage from making headshots every round).

Zadmar
Legendary

Re: Marksman + New Edge too strong?

#2 Postby Zadmar » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:54 am

I think it's fine balance-wise, although I would probably have it halve the Called Shot penalty rather than subtract 2 (otherwise a shot to the limb is just as easy as a shot to the torso).

I wouldn't consider it "a free +4 damage", though. It's a potential +4 damage requiring the investment of two advances, but Marksman doesn't apply when you move, and not all creatures are vulnerable to called shots. Even in situations where the bonus would apply, it might be preferable to aim for the torso to increase your chance of hitting.
My blog: Savage Stuff. I've also written some free tools and supplements.

Jounichi
Legendary

#3 Postby Jounichi » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:20 am

I'm on the fence about this one. At first glance it doesn't sound badly designed or overpowered, but flaws start to appear when you look at how it interacts with other mechanics. There are versions of Improved/Superior Martial Arts which negate called shot penalties at the cost of not doing taking any other actions on your Action (confusing, I know.) It also, albeit arguably, steps on the toes of Marksman.

Maybe Deadeye can adapt the Extreme Range increment found in the SPC2: halve the range penalties and add a new range band with a -4 penalty. This way a pistol could do 12/24(-1)/48(-2)/96(-4)
"Rush not in to fights. Long is the war. Only by surviving it, will you prevail." -Yoda
"Wise man once say, 'forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.'" -Michelangelo

Koshnek
Novice

#4 Postby Koshnek » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:41 pm

I like halving the penalty. I don't use any other edges which affect called shots specifically, so I don't think it'll interfere with anything except possibly marksman. But, the edge is available for marksman users anyhow so it should be ok I think.

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”